1.0 out of 5 stars When smart consumers turn gullible, March 26, 2004
By A Customer
Take any positive reviews of this product with a huge grain of salt!
It's amazing that people are suckered into buying this product. The active ingredients listed on the package are "Anas Barbariae Hepatis Et Cordis Extractum 200 CK HPUS" For most folks unfamiliar with Latin, that sounds like it's gotta be some miracle drug, right? Here's the true story.
Since 1925, Oscillococcinum has been prepared as follows. Into a one litre bottle, a mixture of pancreatic juice and glucose is poured. Next a Barbary duck (that's the "Anas Barbariae") is decapitated and 35 grams of its liver and 15 grams of its heart are put into the bottle (that's the "Hepatis Et Cordis"). After 40 days in the sterile bottle, liver and heart disintegrate into a kind of goo, which is then diluted with water into the entire world production of Oscillococcinum for the year.
There's no logical reason to believe that anything in duck liver or heart will be an effective flu remedy. But even if there were some magic substance, the manufacturing process guarantees that it will not be in the finished product. The laws of chemistry indicate that after the 12th dilution, it is unlikely that a single molecule from the original organs will remain. Moreover, at the dilutions that Boiron indicates on their packaging (that's the "200 CK HPUS" part) the concentration of the original substance would be 1 part in 100^200, which is a 1 followed by 400 zeroes. A 1 followed by 100 zeroes is called a googol. The estimated number of particles in the universe that we can see is a googol, give or take a few zeroes. So in order for one of the original duck molecules to be present in a container of Oscillococcinum, the mass of that container would have to be about a googol googol googol times our world, which would be incomprehensibly larger than the visible universe.
A little research is all it takes to discover that there isn't a SINGLE reputable scientific study demonstrating the efficacy of this product. And even assuming that the "active ingredients" (duck heart and liver) have any effect on the flu, remember that by spending your $16 on a container of goose liver pate and crackers, you'll be a dose of duck organs that's billions of times stronger than what goes into this so-called "drug". All things considered, your money is better invested in a flu shot BEFORE flu season starts.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2008 6:36:46 PM PST
Hawaii Howie says:
A Flu shot? Now give us the ingredients on your flu shot!
Sad.

Posted on Mar 10, 2008 3:53:00 AM PDT
The only thing that I can say is, it worked for me! This year alone, it saved me three times. Having been a nurse for twenty-years, I was a little leary of herbal remedies and did not use them. However, temporarily residing in Europe for a few years, I have experienced the lack of choices of medications on the shelves compared to the U.S. So, I had no choice but to try out this product when my twenty year old son spiked a 102 temp., had chills, sore throat and cough. Immediately, I gave it to my son as directed. He was better in four days!

In addition to taking it when you are sick , the Pharmacist instructed me to take it for myself within the three day window of symptoms {as directed} or prophalactically during the months ending in 'R'. Well, to make a long story short...it worked for me! After a tickle in my throat, I took it as directed. The same went for my husband. The symptoms{a dry cough, sore throat, slight aches, little fatigued, NO FEVER}went away after two days! To elaborate further...the same flu was spreading to several of my husband's collegues and were still sick after two weeks and ended up taking antibiotics for their upper and lower respiratory infections. They too had the flu vaccine, but didn't take Boiron remedy. Still not convinced....Well, after my friend mentioned her sorethroat, {She didn't have the flu vaccine} I told her my experience with this remedy. Needless to say, it worked for her!

Overall, whether the outcome is from a 'Placebo' effect, the flu vaccine, or, it actually working on our immune system, the final outcome was that it worked! This is why I took the time writing this review...I do not work for the maker of this remedy, nor do I stand to profit from this feedback...Only to let others know the positive experience that I had with it and what I witnessed with others that tried it.

Every individual is unique with their own medical condition. Also, be aware that some herbal remedies are not suitable take in conjuction with certain medications. This is why you must always ask your doctor first! :-)

Posted on Mar 10, 2008 7:55:18 AM PDT
Jamie C says:
Oscillococcinum has worked several times for me. Just because something is not understood doesn't reduce is efficacy. I don't normally take herbs or any homeopathic remedies. I will continue to take Oscillococcinum as it works. It is definitely worth a try, but it is much better if you take it immediately upon the onset of symptoms.

Posted on Mar 31, 2008 6:14:06 AM PDT
Susan Katz says:
This isn't a product review, it's a rant. Take it somewhere else.

Posted on Sep 16, 2008 4:23:11 PM PDT
R. Tahir says:
You must be employed by an allopathic pharmaceutical company.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2008 12:34:10 AM PDT
mood! says:
You also misunderstood the principle of Homeopathy! Go take your DayQuil

Posted on Nov 18, 2008 12:17:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2008 12:22:16 PM PST
S. Green says:
You should really cite your reference, instead of plagarizing. You may be a smart customer, but your ethics are bothersome.
I've read the research and the Practically non existent Science behind this product....as an Engineer, I can attest that it works consistently time after time, but I have no idea why! Maybe next year I will swallow a bit of table sugar at the onset of symptoms and see if that has the same effect.

Posted on Nov 21, 2008 10:21:05 AM PST
H. Chambers says:
This product is wonderful..much better than having a flu shot which makes me very ill.
ps...I've been taking this product for many years.

Posted on Mar 5, 2009 8:27:13 PM PST
G. says:
This information has been plagiarized from another web site and does not represent a valid customer review. If Amazon wishes to contact me I will provide the link to the plagiarized site.

Furthermore, recent material science research has demonstrated the efficacy of homeopathic remedies. This remedy has been most effective in resolving my own flu symptoms. It also does not have side effects like other medicines.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2009 4:19:11 PM PDT
dallas says:
"Oscillococcinum has worked several times for me. Just because something is not understood doesn't reduce is efficacy. "

It doesn't have any efficacy.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›