1.0 out of 5 stars This Vampire Romance Needed an Editor ... and a Plot, July 28, 2005
This review is from: Dark Prince (The Carpathians (Dark) Series, Book 1) (Mass Market Paperback)
I had expected to enjoy the vampire romance, DARK PRINCE, by Christine Feehan, having read so many raving reviews about it. However, I should have paid closer to attention to the reviewers who termed the book "repetitive" and "boring," as I agree wholeheartedly on both accounts.

The gist of the story, in one sentence, is that Carpathian vampire prince Mikhail finds his life mate, a human woman with telepathic abilities, all the while battling evil vampire hunters determined to exterminate his kind.

It took me 3 weeks to finish 314-page DARK PRINCE, and that is abnormal for me, since I usually finish a book within hours. It felt like torture, reading this book, and I only made myself finish because I always wonder if it might get better. It did not.

So what are some of my grievances?

Well, for one, there is no tension in the book. Mikhail and Raven are in love right from the start, and have sex like 5 or 6 times by page 100. Where is the conflict in that? Why should I continue reading it? Well, apparently the author felt the laughable subplot in which Carpathian vampires are being hunted by vampire slayers was actually interesting. Sorry, no. The vampire slayers (repeatedly referred to as fanatical assassins) are a bunch of one-dimensional characters who die so fast it's not worthwhile to remember their names. They don't make for interesting or compelling villains.

Two, this book was in dire need of an editor. How many times does the author need to refer to Mikhail's predatory movements and muscular body or to Raven's innocence and compassion? Other phrases that became grossly overused included "little one," "her narrow rib cage," "her large blue eyes," "her large blue-violet eyes," "silky hair," "his voice was black-velvet seduction," "I'm an American," "I'm intelligent," and (my personal favorite) "I have brains." Yes, we all do, thank you.

Three, Raven was a stupid heroine. The whole book was mostly exposition in which she is arguing with Mikhail about everything and everyone, punctuated with my favorite idiotic repetitions of "I'm intelligent" and "I have brains." No you don't, not when you throw yourself in danger at every single turn, resulting in near-death experiences for you and the people around you. The ONLY time I thought this book was interesting was when Raven was stabbed five times in the gut. I was so happy! And that is really, really sad.

So, as you can see, I pretty much loathed this book.

Now, interestingly, my paperback copy of DARK PRINCE came with a "bonus" 150-page short story called DARK DESCENT, which I was very, very reluctant to read at first. Luckily, that story had a plot and lots of action, plus interesting characters, so I finished it in about 2 hours. DARK DESCENT is about how Joie, an American bodyguard and psychic, goes exploring in a cave and discovers her Carpathian life mate, Traian, as well as a bunch of really nasty evil vampires who want to kill them. While the story had its super-cheesy moments (why do people feel compelled to call vampires "blood suckers"?), it still was fast-paced and interesting, much more interesting than DARK PRINCE. So at least I didn't completely waste $7.99 on the book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2007 3:28:09 PM PDT
Wendy says:
Here, here. I'm glad somebody else read the same book I did. I think it must have been written for people with short term memory loss. I found myself saying out loud "You've told us that 10 times. Would you get on with the story!" I was too annoyed to finish it.

Posted on Dec 3, 2007 9:20:44 AM PST
M. Henderson says:
I checked out the book at the library, and started reading it yesterday. I had to force myself to put the book down in order to do other things. As of today, I am half way through it. It's an awesome book! I know I have make myself go to the bookstore and purchase the dark series.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2008 4:28:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2008 4:30:35 PM PST
Yeah, me too. I did finish it-- I kept thinking so many people must be right and I'll get to the good stuff. But the repetition continued all the way through.

Add to that bizarre sequences where characters just appeared on scene in order to have conversations for no plot-based reason. They just showed up because, well, I guess I needed to meet them and hear them tell me a bunch of repetitive information. I kept thinking "Show, don't tell."

I'm not her reader, though many people really love them. The descriptions are quite poetic and sensual-- esp. when they are running or flying in their other shapes. She's very atmospheric. The men are way male and the women are slight and fragile. Esp. Raven who is of the big-eyed long-lashed super-petite style of romance heroine. The bad guys are reeeeeaaallly bad. They wear their "I'm Evil" badges to work everyday. If you enjoy a book with such well-delineated contrasts I think you'll enjoy it.

Posted on May 5, 2008 10:44:21 AM PDT
N. Smith says:
Couldn't agree more. "Dark Prince" is an almost interesting premise desperately seeking a plot.

Posted on Oct 1, 2008 11:34:54 AM PDT
B. Sanders says:
Thank you!! Finally, a review about this book I totally 100% agree with. I was in a book store looking at a few books when a girl came up to me and suggested Christine Feehan and her series. So I thought 'Ok I'll give her a try'. It's very rare I find a book I simply don't like. This one takes the cake. Maybe it's just me, but I like a little angst and tension in my romance before all of a sudden they're in love. This book didn't have that and I was left almost bored to tears. I agree with the only exciting part being where the lame heroine is stabbed. Sad, but true. It also took me awhile to finish this book. I was expecting more since it was referred to me by someone who was very enthusiastic of Feehan's work. Needless to say I wasn't a fan of this book or her writing style. I won't be purchasing anymore books of this series.

Posted on Feb 13, 2009 4:02:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2009 4:03:04 AM PST
Achaea says:
Totally agreed; reading this book is like pulling teeth - two weeks of trying and I'm maybe a third of the way through (versus usually finishing a book (well, pulp) in a day or two, if its good). I have no idea why so many people recommend them - they're repetitive, very simply written, have flat characters. Worse, I keep reading descriptions about Raven! Why the hell do I care, over and over, what Raven looks like? I have only a vague idea of Mikhail is like - was this book written for men? And I'm simply sick to death of true life mate, love at first sight, look at us how bland we are, aren't we happy ever after (at page 10)! Ugh, so many reasons to fume at Feehan.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2009 12:15:15 PM PST
J. L. Yates says:
I love this series and I think that what happened is that the first book, like all series, are not that great and so gives a false impression of a great series. I will admit that I too was going at some lines, okay, I GET IT ! ! !
And the characters, I was going so many people sheeeesh. But, they are characters you meet later in other books of the series. Jaques story is second. Byron has his own story, as does Adian, Julian, and many of the others. She was introducing them. It would have been better to have introduced just two or three, such as Jaques, Adian and Gregori (who have the next three books), and just mention the names of some others.

It seems she got caught up too much in setting the foundation of the serie and missed out on creating the story for that specific book. If you truly want to get an idea of the series, read Dark Challenge and Dark Magic. Then you cam get a better idea.

Posted on Jul 21, 2009 8:23:52 AM PDT
Wish I had read this review before I purchased this totally worthless book. As an avid reader of many book genres, I found this vulgar and poorly written. Needless to say, I did not read the entire book. Who in the world applauds this kind of trash?

Posted on Nov 14, 2009 1:12:56 PM PST
C. humphrey says:
You said everything I wanted to say! I agree with you on evey point!
Also this review made me laugh because it was like you could read my thoughts...
much like Raven could <snicker>

BAD writing! BAD plot! Bad, bad, bad!

Christine Feehan is good at bringing in the romance, but it's ALL romance, and it's over-the-top ..
way--WAY over the top.

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 11:02:54 AM PST
RinPet says:
I know Christine Feehan is a popular paranormal romance author so I decided to pick this up. I couldn't finish it. Though I realize first books can sometimes be weak, I have yet to pick up the second. I feel like I should finish the first and I just can't bring myself to open it again.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (311 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01