3.0 out of 5 stars (Maybe not) The one I've been looking for, September 3, 2009
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX120IS 10MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Images Stabilized Zoom and 3-inch LCD (Electronics)
I have been debating whether to get a point-and-shoot that is ok, or an SLR that is fantastic. I couldn't justify spending mega$$$ on an SLR because I'm not that sophisticated a photographer. But I have been unhappy with point-and-shoots that are so slow you miss the picture and that have only a "mini-zoom" feature. But the Canon SX120IS solved it all. First, it's a lot less expensive than an SLR. And with the image stabilizer and a really fast shutter response time, I can catch the action before it's over! It takes great close-ups, it has 10X optical zoom, and it has lots of other cool features I can't wait to learn how to use. Plus the LCD screen is large and the controls are easy to use. My only disappointment is that it has no view finder and in some bright light conditions it is hard to see the screen. But overall, I give it thumbs up!

OK, now that I've used it a while, I have more comments. First the good: I could get it from Amazon and it takes really fantastic pictures in difficult lighting conditions, (see my uploaded images.) Then the not-so-good: it eats batteries, (which I think is true of any camera that uses regular batteries) and the lack of a viewfinder is a bigger pain than I thought. Now I'm reducing the rating and thinking I should have spent a little more and gotten the SX10IS or the newer SX20IS. They have viewfinders, 20X zoom and all the good features i like on the SX120IS.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2009 6:29:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2009 6:30:55 PM PDT
W. Bailey says:
sounds like a polished review from Canon... the 2 negatives at the end are well known mild criticisms from the previous SX110... Nevertheless - I own the SX110 and imagine the SX120 to be also - very good!

Posted on Sep 9, 2009 10:16:49 AM PDT
J. Bernstein says:
I am a Canon fan and looking at the sx120 as a gift. I own the SX10 with a 20 zoom and it's great, but still a little sluggish in the response time. It does have that , all important , viewfinder with a 2.5" screen. I don't know if there will ever be an LCD that can be seen in blazingly bright sun? I understand that there is no room for a viewfinder once the screens are 3", but I think 2.5" is fine and the viewfinder is a must for a lot of photographers.

Posted on Nov 7, 2009 9:04:56 AM PST
Jasmine says:
i'm glad you talked about the viewfinder. my husband and i are shopping for a new digital point and shoot and found this one at Target. I, too, noticed the lack of view finder, and found that option on my current Canon a Godsend on our honeymoon we just took. Thanks for letting us know the other Canons that still have one.

Posted on Nov 10, 2009 10:21:07 AM PST
Just a suggestion on the batteries, get the hybrid (or slow-discharge) NiMH AA batteries, they have capacities in the 2000-2100 mAh range, which is not the crazy 2800 type that discharge just sitting there. I've gotten about 300-400 per charge on an older Sx110 using these types of batteries. Another tip is for quicker snapping of sports, try pre-focusing on an area using the manual focus, and just set it there, and wait for the action to enter your frame, then you can snap quickly without waiting for the AF to lock. Another plus for the manual focus feature which is lacking in many competitor cameras.

Posted on Nov 27, 2009 7:40:11 AM PST
With lithium batteries, the camera seems to last forever, as long as you're not flash happy. On a trip I just got back from, I took 1200 shots and a bit over half an hour of video, and switched batteries on them once. (The existing ones had been used for a while, too.) So that's somewhere between 600 and 1200 shots on a pair of batteries, plus a fair amount of video.

I've actually been surprised at how long the camera lasts on just a pair of AAs.

Posted on Nov 27, 2009 7:01:45 PM PST
Stormin' says:
Try Energizer Lithium Ultimate. They last better than any we've tried.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2010 12:39:08 PM PST
thanks. I was really thinking of getting this camera and now you have giving me the goods about it so I think I am going to get this. THANKS!!!!!!

Posted on May 5, 2010 4:01:40 PM PDT
Tom Martin says:
To save on batteries try SANYO eneloop 4 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, they are great.

Posted on Jun 19, 2010 8:01:08 PM PDT
T. says:
I hated this camera at first because it eats through batteries. Try the rechargeable platinums from walmart. I don't usually shop there but they are the only ones that sell them in my area. Those batteries last longer than the energizer or duracell. Less expensive too!

Posted on Aug 1, 2010 9:31:31 AM PDT
C. Davis says:
The battery issue this reviewer mentioned is either an anomaly or I have really good rechargeable Radio Shack batteries... I used the same pair without recharge for an entire 10-day vacation and I still didn't get the low battery light by the time I returned.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›