5.0 out of 5 stars A great bike for a great price, January 16, 2012
This review is from: Schwinn Men's Prelude Bicycle (BBWhite) (Sports)
Hello everyone!

I had two problems: 1. I was gradually falling into the depths of "no longer in shape" and 2. I hate paying for the gas in the 4 miles it takes me to drive to work. Money is tight these days and if I can save a bit more by driving less I'm all for it.

I figured buying a cost effective road bike could solve both of my problems and I hope that it does!

So, I did a few hours of research online and found this bike to have the most healthy ratings and it seemed to be the best bang for the buck. I wanted to spend less initially, but from what I've researched it is nearly impossible to get a road bike that's not just a single speed for less than $230.

Using the free trial of Amazon Prime I had the bike delivered in one days time. The packing the bike came in seems less than stellar, and the box did indeed have a hole in it, but nonetheless the bike was delivered in excellent shape.The bike comes mostly assembled. The pedals, front tire, front brake and Shimano shifters were not assembled yet everything else was on the bike. As other reviewers have stated, the directions leave MUCH to be desired. Only common sense and Youtube tutorials will help you properly assemble the bike. The bike took me roughly 4 hours to assemble. I used to be a contractor and have built impressive gaming computers in my time so I feel that I am decently experienced with minor mechanical assembly. If you are not, I highly recommend taking the bike to your LBS and have them do it. I must admit that a large part of my time assembling the bike was due to my OCD nature in setting things up properly. I managed to get the brakes at a near perfect tightness, lubed all chains/cables and tweaked the handlebar/shifters. Please read other reviews to find out that some work needs to be done to the rims before you inflate and ride upon the tires. Instead of spending money on rim tape I simply used duct tape to go over the existing rim tape and thus insure the tube won't come into contact with the spoke holes. Search the internet and you will find that many people suggest duct tape as a quick and cheap alternative to rim tape. Also, I made sure that the hole the nipple pokes through was free of any sharp edges/burrs. This is EXTREMELY important as my rims were a bit sharp around the nipple hole.

I may not have much experience with road bikes but after assembling the Prelude I must say she is a gorgeous bike. My coworkers (even those who own $600+ road bikes) gave me generous comments on the bike's appearance. If appearance does in fact matter to you than this bike is indeed nice to look upon. I've ridden the bike to work and back two times now (~16 miles) and I am very pleased with it thus far. The brakes leave a bit to be desired even when they've been tweaked to as tight as they can be before rubbing on the rims. However, after going down some steep hills they do the job well enough, you just need to brake a bit earlier than you might need to with more expensive brakes. Speaking of brakes, I did notice that because the brakes are only on the vertical part of the handlebars you need to be careful of riding around blind corners, steep hills, etc. This is because in the time it might take to go from the horizontal part of the handlebars to the vertical part in order to access the brake levers, you might already be in a sticky situation. This is by no means a turn off, but instead a word of caution.

I hope to remember to update my review as my experience with the Prelude increases, but if I do not I do believe this was a great purchase for myself and would be one for you too.

Note: After doing some research online it is advised to pump the tires to 115 or 120 psi. After I made my increase in air pressure I did notice a more efficient ride.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]