Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Success in the Halo Series, November 6, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) (Video Game)
I bought the original Halo when it came out on the Macintosh computer years ago. I bought my first Xbox to play Halo 2, and upgraded to a 360 for Halo 3. Needless to say I have played all the Halo games, and am a fan of the series. Here's what I have to say about the new addition to the Halo universe...

Halo 4 delivers.

There has been some skepticism on how Halo 4 would turn out, especially after it changed hands from Bungie to 343 Industries.. (I'll never forget Bungie coming onstage on a very early Apple keynote event, presenting it's new game "Halo") And I'll admit, I was a little nervous myself. I was always happy with how Bungie had treated the series, and when I heard Halo had been given to 343 Industries, I wondered if they would "ruin" Halo.

Let me put that to rest for you right now, they haven't. 343 Industries was given a Ferrari, and they treated it like one! They put time, effort, and extremely hard work into this game, and it shows.

And since you are eager to buy this game and not waste time reading a massive book review, I will touch on some of the key aspects that you may want to know too.

**STORY/GAMEPLAY**

One of the biggest things that makes the Halo games SO darn fun to play is that they have an INCREDIBLE story. It's the thing that sets good movies apart, the storyline. Halo has always had one of the best stories in gaming history, and Halo 4 continues this legacy. No spoilers, but Halo 4 doesn't drop a beat, you step right back into the Master Chief's boots like it was yesterday. The gameplay is still "Halo" and it feels right. Simple, clean interface. Easy controls, and a story that makes you feel like the Chief himself.

At first I was skeptical, (At the end of Halo 3, I mean, how could you come back from that?) but I couldn't be more wrong. I love the Halo lore, and this story is no different. I will enjoy playing this campaign!

**GRAPHICS**

Let me say something right off the bat, this game is GORGEOUS.
This is one of the greatest (if not the best) looking Halo game of the series, maybe even one of the best on the 360.
The environments are breathtaking, the weapons and vehicles are polished and the maps are vivid and lifelike. The team spent hours into the design of this game and it shows! Your eyes will be drooling.

**MULTIPLAYER**

No doubt, one of Halo's strongest points has always been Multiplayer. I've loved the multiplayer even since LAN games on Halo 1. And yet again, with no surprises, Halo 4's multiplayer is insanely FUN.

It keeps the same of tradition of guns, vehicles, and brawling, but with a shine. 343 added some nice elements into the multiplayer, like Mantis', new weapons, and fine tuning of the load-out system; but it still FEELS like Halo, which is great! It's still a blast to play, and very easy to jump right into the action. Assassinations are still there (I liked that addition in Reach) and I like it how 343 took some nods from the community and made things like Infection (now called "Flood") built-in playlists.

The multiplayer in Halo 4 also offers nice incentives to level up and build your character, this makes Halo 4 even more fun to play, and it's not boring to play the multiplayer over and over again.

**SOUND**

Another thing that is fantastic about the Halo series is its score. Music that moved you, took you places, and filled with all kinds of feelings from fear, to victory, to sadness. The music in Halo could fill you with
adrenaline or inspire you with awe (Halo: Combat Evolved anyone?) Neil Davidge did a fantastic job in continuing Halo's great sound, it doesn't disappoint. I heard that Halo 4's soundtrack sold so many copies, it would make the UNSC take a second look.
-----

Halo 4 is an absolute gem. Bungie handed over their baby to 343 and they took great care of it.
I'm thrilled as a fan to see it given the attention and time it deserves.
It's a fantastic game, with endless replay value. Whether you are getting this for yourself, or a friend or two, you WON'T be disappointed. It's a heck of fun to play, and it looks, sounds, and plays beautifully. This review is short, and there is SO much more in Halo that I couldn't even begin to write about here. The rest you'll have to experience for yourself!

Hopefully this review has convinced you to scroll up to the top of this page and "Add to Cart"
Trust me, you'll be glad to did!

See you on the battlefield!

------
EDIT- FULL DAY OF PLAY
After playing Halo 4 for many hours now, I decided to knock off a star. Here's why.

Don't get me wrong, none of these things deserve the game to lose a star by themselves, but put together, they do.. sadly..

**MULTIPLAYER**
After playing many, many matches on Halo 4, here's what I found..

-RESPAWNING
seems to be a little contradictory... It has a timer, but you can spawn back AS SOON AS you die. This can be frustrating because your opponent could spawn just feet away and come right back for vengeance.

-MAPS
I absolutely loved the maps in Halo 3, and Halo Reach. Halo 4's maps can get old fairly quickly... I think they over/undershot map size a bit too. There's no "wow" factor like when you see a map as massive and great as Halo Reach's Blood Gulch remix.

-LESS CUSTOMIZATION
than Halo 3 or Reach. Not terrible, but they put tons of stuff into armor, but cut the many emblems, accessories, (e.g. wrist, arm, etc) Don't get me wrong, they have TONS of armor helmets and they are BEAUTIFUL, I just felt a tad disappointed at all the cuts elsewhere.

What I would LOVE is a "Classic" playlist on Halo 4, where everyone gets the same weapon loadouts, and respawn timer is MANDATORY. Just for fun. This could also be used to bring player in to Halo 4 gradually.

**STORY**

No spoilers.

My only gripe with the story so far, is that it seems a tad... rushed. Nothing terrible, mind you, but I would've enjoyed a little more time (I mean.. MC has been frozen for years... Give me some time to see him come "alive") but the story is still fun to play, and if you're into the Halo lore, it won't disappoint.

Still, a very, VERY fun game to play, just some small wrinkles that lost that one star, for me at least.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2012 6:26:42 AM PST
Corey says:
Very well written!
I knew I would buy the game no matter what.
Many games I'm interested in, are coming out this time of the year.
Sadly, Halo 4 will have to wait.. due to lack of funds.
But your review is making me push a little harder to get it.
The co-op is the selling point for me. Nothing like sitting back with a group of friends and playing campaign all day.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 7:08:54 AM PST
Thank you!

Yes, it is definitely one of those games that you want to get.
I hear you, I've been there!

Yes, co-op has always been a strong point in Halo and even more so here. They even let the guest account customize armor/abilities in multiplayer. I thought that was a nice touch. You have a group of friends over, and they can all be unique, unlike in Reach.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 7:10:27 AM PST
B. Soares says:
343 industries, as mentioned in another review, is the same internal group of people at bungie who started halo in the first place. So really, it's their baby.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 8:10:05 AM PST
Luke Jarrett says:
Not everyone stayed at Bungie, but regardless; it's not too noticeable a switch. They did a good job with it.
Both companies are great in their own respects.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 9:45:44 PM PST
Someone said this game is like watching a movie. Does it have too many cinematic cutscenes? Is it cutscene driven? Might be a rental then over a purchase especially if the campaign is only 5 hours long. I'm generally not too much into sci-fy games but everyone has been praising this game so maybe it's worth a look.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 9:48:03 PM PST
Luke Jarrett says:
Don't get me wrong, Halo has one (if not the) best story lines in games. I've only played through a few missions and, yes there were lots of cutscenes, but nothing that degrades. The cutscenes are rendered beautifully too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 10:11:29 PM PST
007 says:
I've heard that the game is supposed to be around 8 to 10 hours. Not sure if your five hour comment was speculation or not, but I'm already five hours in and have a ways to go.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 10:14:51 PM PST
Would you say it's better than Borderlands 2 or are they two different games?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 10:20:59 PM PST
007 says:
I played Borderlands 1 and 2 several times. Those games are much longer but they can get very repetitive and you spend a lot of time looting everything which slows things down. They are both great in their own way but I personally prefer Halo.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 10:52:03 PM PST
5 hours was what I heard. My XboxLive Gold subscription expired so I no longer have multiplayer. This game will probably be a rental for me I think. There are so many games out right now. I honestly was going to just buy Borderlands 2 and dedicate all my gaming hours to that game but perhaps it's better to rent and play them all!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›