4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Entry Level Tablet, July 24, 2013
This review is from: Dragon Touch® R10 10.1'' Google Android 4.1 Dual Core Tablet MID PC, Rockchip RK3066 Dual Core Cortex A9 CPU up to 1.6GHz, 1Gb RAM, 8Gb HDD, Multi-Touch Screen, Front Camera + Rear Camera, Google Play Pre-Installed, HDMI 1080P Output, Skype Video Calling, Netflix, Flash Supported [By TabletExpress] (Personal Computers)
We ordered this as it was the cheapest 10.1" Android 4.1 tablet with at least 1 GB of RAM. We spent 2 weeks scouring local electronics stores and online offers to find the most we could buy for $150. This was a gift for my wife for her birthday and she hasn't let go of it since it arrived this afternoon. Out of the box it is not flash compatible but if you download a free app called the "photon browser" it will allow you to play Adobe Flash content. The features advertised are nice, the only downfall of this tablet is the screen brightness is lacking, so much so I tried downloading apps to "force" more brightness but I'm not sure if that's even possible through software. We've only had it for a day so I will edit this product review after 2 more weeks of continuous use.

I would update the rating to 5 stars if the screen brightness was better and it was truly FLASH ready.
____________________________________________

Day 5 update: Today is the first day I have been able to use the tablet exclusively so I will share what I've experienced.

The micro USB port when plugged in DOES NOT offer a secondary charging location, so plugging it into a USB car charger or any USB port to charge will not work. Not a huge deal but the connection for the wall charger is thin so prolonged use will determine the durability of the provided charging cable.

Another downside is the length of the charging cable at 48". While this may be a tiny inconvenience to some, holding the tablet in bed r relaxing largely dictates proximity to a wall outlet. I haven't used it in such a way that warrants me to using it while charging, its just a quirk. The location for the charger connection isn't placed very well if you intend on having the tablet oriented with the screenshot button on the bottom, but the 4 way screen rotation helps the design flaw.

Battery life is impressive but it may something to do with the brightness of the screen... for a 10" dual core about 12 hours of constant use it performed remarkably well. I must note that the charging to consumption ratio is negative (using the tablet while charging) certainly extends the life of your session, in order to fully charge efficiently, it can't really be used.

The tablet is also very light weight and easy to handle. Its a little thinner than my motorola droid RAZR in a slim fitting case. The difference is negligible. I've been searching for a universal case for it for a few days that doesbt imoede the lock/volume buttons and other ports found on the intended bottom edge of the tablet. The lack of accessory support is largely due to its only been released for a few weeks.

Overall I am impressed with the quality and functionality of the tablet thus far and I am happy with our purchase. My original 4 star rating will remain. I've also emailed the seller asking how to increase the brightness through non traditional ways.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 2, 2013 12:00:51 PM PDT
Old Fool says:
In regards to the brightness... is the tablet usable outside in the sun or bright shade?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013 10:38:25 PM PDT
J. Hamm says:
I would lean towards the no side of direct sunlight, the screen doesn't handle reflective glare very well. Seller has given me common sense instructions such as to remove the shipping quality screen protector (duh) and yo use the system settings to alter the brightness (duh again) and asked me to send a photo of the screen on full brightness. It may possibly be used in the shade with an anti glare screen protector but I wouldn't hold my breath. The WiFi feature seemed a bit buggy having to turn it off and back on a few times to connect yo a saved accesspoint. Its a ggood budget buy if you're looking for a school tablet you plan on using at home, in the car during low light hours or otherwise indoors/heavy shade.

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 7:29:24 AM PDT
Novelle says:
Great review, I am going to purchase one. Can you recommend a case for this tablet? All the ones are for the newer version...

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 10:15:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2014 4:57:42 PM PST
I am reading your review while comparing it to my recent purchase of a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0" tablet running Android 4.1. Today I ordered a Dragon Touch R10 10.1'' like yours for my mother to play solitaire and read email in her home. She has UVerse Wi-Fi so it sounds like this will work great for her. She wouldn't give mine back until I bought her one. She has a tough time with small print so I'm hoping the 10 inch screen will benefit her.
I agree with your well written review and can tell you my Galaxy Tab2 7.0" battery life is no more than 4 hours, so I can't wait to see this new one go 12 hours. Your other criticism on screen brightness must be common to tablets. I have the MLB.TV android app, AT BAT to track my MLB teams and watch HD TV full games streaming very well but I took the device with me to see the Milwaukee Brewers play the SF GIANTS at AT&T park and the screen was so dim in sunlight I could not see anything at all on it even at full brightness. So I wouldn't expect any tablet to be that bright.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, we seem to have received a lemon. My Mom took this Dragon Touch R10 10.1 in. on a 7 day cruise and it had so many problems it had to be returned for a refund. It had software issues but the main problem was after a full charge (even overnight) the battery would die within 15 minutes. This happened over and over, the whole cruise. She didn't want to risk another bad one if replaced so she got a new Galaxy 7.1 and it's awesome. Well worth the extra cash.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2014 1:18:46 PM PST
T. Beter says:
I ordered the tabsuit 10.1 tablet folio keyboard with stand when I ordered mine. Should be receiving evering any day and cant wait.

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 6:08:43 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 20, 2014 10:26:02 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2014 4:46:06 PM PDT
This tablet is 99% not usable in any sunlight. Trying to use the tablet in any daytime outdoor condition is not do-able. I can "barely" see anything on the screen even on overcast days, but not well enough to actually read anything. Apps I know the layout of, like a music player, I am able to "blindly" touch the screen and get to work.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›