1.0 out of 5 stars Beware...The author must on stock in SPLENDA, March 16, 2011
This review is from: Eat What You Love: More than 300 Incredible Recipes Low in Sugar, Fat, and Calories (Hardcover)
I was very excited about this book until I opened it. There are virtually no recipes in the book that do not contain agave nectar or splenda. I did not see this listed anywhere in the description. I personally feel that Splenda and aspartame are the two worst things that you can put into your body so this book is going back immediately. It is a book full of processed, chemicalized foods. If you only care about calorie counts and not your health, this may be a good book for you. If you are interested in eating unprocessed, natural foods that are naturally low in calories, I would look elsewhere.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 3, 2011 2:52:44 PM PDT
Thank you I was just about to buy after seeing her on QVC. I don't do Splenda at all so this would have been very disappointing to receive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2011 8:10:00 AM PDT
D. Lee says:
Try using Stevia instead of Splenda or Agave Nectar in her recipes. Stevia is a all natural plant based sweetner with ZERO calories. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 9:35:32 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 15, 2012 9:37:30 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 10:19:57 PM PST
Thank you for your comment. I'm always looking for a new cookbook that uses less sugar but the claims are too good to be true. Like you, I do NOT use Splenda and will not sacrifice my health for calories and carbs. Thank you, thank you for posting this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 9:26:57 AM PST
Drucie says:
There is a newer product called NuStevia.. it is stevia without the bitterness. Not sure how to adjust for it in recipes.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 10:58:58 AM PST
m thea says:
I was wondering about artificial sweeteners and you've answered it for me. I agree, Splenda is not good for the body. I'd love for the author to create a cookbook without the bad artificial sweeteners. Thanks for the info.

Posted on May 4, 2012 4:12:27 AM PDT
conni says:
Am I mistaken in thinking that if you don't want to use splenda, sugar could be used instead? Aren't they measured the same way? I'm not sure if I want to use a lot of splenda either; however, I'd love to try this cookbook!

Posted on May 22, 2012 8:24:23 AM PDT
TOTALLY agree with Laura Owen's review!!! I don't know how Koch can call these recipes "healthy", when almost every dessert, baked good, or anything with the slightest bit of sweetness, contains Splenda! Splenda is NOT healthy, it is just another nasty chemical your body has to deal with! Artificial sweeteners simply add to the problem of obesity; do an internet search and see how they mess up the body's natural response to sweets. Take a look at the bodies of the majority of people who consume diet soda and foods containing artificial sweeteners... isn't it obvious that artificial sweeteners aren't working for them? Even though the science has been out for a long time, that demonstrates artificial sweeteners increase weight problems, it is taking too long for the mainstream to catch on. However, the word is getting out; read Jillian Michaels' (Biggest Loser) latest books on nutrition. I'm glad I borrowed Koch's cookbook from the library, I would have been bummed to have wasted the money on it. I saw her on Fox News and that is why I checked out the book; however, had she been forthright about the book being so heavily laden with Splenda, I would not have bothered!

There are several good recipes for savory dishes, but the author even creeps Splenda into some of those! I was going to write a review today, but I think Laura Owen's review sums it up well. She seems to be right on with the "stock" comment also; if you search the author's name, you will see that, out of the seven cookbooks that come up, a whopping FOUR have Spenda in the title!!! Yuck!

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 9:58:58 AM PDT
Mac Guy says:
On the other hand an expert panel associated with NIH produced a report on the evaluation of the Sugar Assoc. report on the presumed adverse effects on male rats of sucralose (ie Splenda). (ref. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19567260). Notice that the panel determined that the original study was faulty. Subsequent studies have found no harmful effects on humans who consume sucralose. I've been using Splenda quite often as a sugar substitute, I also use sugar and agave nectar once in awhile, I haven't notice any adverse effects of Splenda after using it for at least 10-12 yrs, great stuff if you ask me. Btw, I'm 70 and in perfect health and have a BMI of 22.6, I exercise a minimum of 1 hr a day (2.75 hours twice a week) 6 days a week. I think that's more important than worrying about the lack of credible evidence about sucralose being harmful to humans. Being a former scientist and computer analyst with a math background, I'm always looking for credible evidence, not someone's unsubstantiated opinions or poorly designed research studies. These days too many people rely on half-truths or falsehoods that are published or posted somewhere without reliable references and sources, key word 'reliable', often because they are too lazy to research the issue. It's easier to eat the pablum.

Btw, the cookbook was given to me as a gift in 2006, been using it ever since, it's great, need to post a review.

Expert panel report on a study of Splenda in male rats.
Brusick D, Borzelleca JF, Gallo M, Williams G, Kille J, Wallace Hayes A, Xavier Pi-Sunyer F, Williams C, Burks W.
Source

Independent Consultant, 123 Moody Creek Rd., Bumpass, VA 23024, USA. brusick41@aol.com
Abstract

A recent study in rats investigated the retail sweetener product, Granulated SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener (Splenda) (Abou-Donia et al., 2008. Splenda alters gut microflora and increases intestinal P-glycoprotein and cytochrome P-450 in male rats. J. Toxicol. Environ. Health A, 71, 1415-1429), which is composed of (by dry weight) maltodextrin ( approximately 99%) and sucralose ( approximately 1%). The investigators reported that Splenda increased body weight, decreased beneficial intestinal bacteria, and increased the expression of certain cytochrome P450 (CYP450) enzymes and the transporter protein, P-glycoprotein (P-gp), the latter of which was considered evidence that Splenda or sucralose might interfere with the absorption of nutrients and drugs. The investigators indicated that the reported changes were attributable to the sucralose present in the product tested. An Expert Panel conducted a rigorous evaluation of this study. In arriving at its conclusions, the Expert Panel considered the design and conduct of the study, its outcomes and the outcomes reported in other data available publicly. The Expert Panel found that the study was deficient in several critical areas and that its results cannot be interpreted as evidence that either Splenda, or sucralose, produced adverse effects in male rats, including effects on gastrointestinal microflora, body weight, CYP450 and P-gp activity, and nutrient and drug absorption. The study conclusions are not consistent with published literature and not supported by the data presented.

PMID:
19567260
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 8:54:44 PM PST
Thank you for posting this. I was rolling my eyes at all the nonsense about the evils of Splenda. Thank God for Splenda, I say. Its great for people with diabetes and also for dieters.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›