5.0 out of 5 stars LG Infinia 60PZ950 1080P Active 3D THX Certified Plasma with TruBlack Filter and Smart TV, June 8, 2011
This review is from: LG Infinia 60PZ950 60-Inch 1080p 600 Hz Active 3D THX Certified Plasma HDTV with TruBlack Filter and Smart TV (2011 Model) (Electronics)
I just received my 60PZ950 and set it up yesterday. I have to commend Amazon and Onecall for a very quick transaction. Well done. The standard delivery got to me within 4 days of me placing the order. My TV was delivered curbside however I offered the driver $20 to help me get it into my condo. No problem whatsoever.

Now I've only had this for a night but once I set it up, I can tell you that I'm blown away by the picture quality. This is my first plasma and 1080P and so maybe I'm overly excited but I had a Hitachi 1080i/720P Ultravision ( CRT ) and that was still a great picture for 11 years old. This picture quality is better than I have ever seen and that is from a lot of visual research over the past couple of years with various models. LG did a fantastic job on this PZ950 flagship model. I'm anxious to see what CNET says about it once they review it and compare it to the Panasonic and Samsung equivalents. The price for the LG is much better than both of those and I'd been hearing good things. Even last year their PX950 model got great reviews.

I use hi-speed hdmi cables and run them through my A/V receiver that can also support 3D. I haven't had a chance to test the 3D yet as my glasses were shipped separately and arrive tomorrow. I'm sure it will be very good and will report back once I give it a run. I did try Vudu ( which I already have an account for ). Vudu still gave me a credit for a free rental in 1080P and it was AWESOME! Also tried Netflix, MLB TV ( also a member for ). I had these apps through my PS3 already but it's nice to have them on the LG directly. Everything ran like butter. Set up was a breeze and the wireless dongle they provide was simple as well. I even updated my software in about 5 minutes. I have a really hi-speed wireless network so I can't tell you if others will experience the same fortune in updating software quickly. I got a ton of apps after the update. So many that I won't have time to use them all. YouTube was cool.

Currently, I'm just using the THX mode to break in the plasma on movie channels for the next 100 hours or so. However, I did watch the HEAT/MAV game last night in sports mode. The settings so far are right on and I don't know how much I will have to tinker with them later. The colors look fantastic.

Anybody and everybody that wants a great price and possibly the #1 plasma for 2011 owes it to themselves to check out this TV.

Again, excellent job LG. Thanks to OneCall for providing a great price and fast shipment through Amazon. I'll report back once I use the 3D. 2D is awesome.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2011 11:09:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2011 11:15:08 PM PDT
vishal rana says:
Great review. I'm currently comparing 60pz950/60st30/60gt30. I liked the user reviews for 60pz950 and the price(with bundle) is right). I've desperately waiting for cnet reviews on this.
Could you please comment on the screen reflection ? My friend has a 60pk550 from last year and reflection is pretty bad and may be deal breaker for me. I have a room with bright day light but none directly on the TV. At night if there is a lamp/light in the room - is it bothersome/noticeable?
Please also provide comments on the 3d once you get the glasses.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 8:15:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2011 10:20:59 AM PDT
Sam Carrier says:
Hi Rana - I usually don't get to watch TV during the day as I'm at work but this weekend will provide me with a good test. However, it's not as bad as you would think. I do have blinds that I leave shut but the panels on each blind are open. I live in a condo on the first floor by the pool so I have them shut for privacy reasons. My old TV was almost impossible to see sitting at angles during the day when these blinds were closed yet the panels open. The viewing angle is excellent and I'm not seeing much glare at all even before it get's dark. The TV is also beautiful even when it's off. That being said, I don't know if we are comparing the same viewing arrangements. I mostly watch sports and movies and that's usually at night time. I wish I could be of more help but for me it's a definite improvement from my 57 inch CRT projection TV. But to be honest with you, the PK550 was steps below the PK950. Also, I don't believe the PK was 3D. Last years PX model was comparable to the PK but with the 3D added and it got great reviews. The 950 will trump the 550 in all models because it is their flagship and it needs to be the best they can put out for the series. I don't think you will go wrong with this year's 3D PZ950. I read reviews on AVS Forums on the PZ550 and a lot of people like the TV. The PZ950 has the TruBlack filter and some other bells and whistles. This is a beautiful TV.

scarri3r

UPDATE: 6/15/11
I finally am now watching the ESPN 3D channel. I actually had to get another cable box to support it. I was very impressed with the sporting events shown on that channel especially the NBA finals. Very cool. The 3D is smooth and most of the time depending on the broadcast, I do not see any ghosting. Also, streamed a movie in 3D from Vudu and that was equally impressive. I rented Tangled 3D on the Vudu service just to see the effects. Yes it is a kids's flick but it looked great in 3D. The next test was using my PS3 for a Blu-Ray cut of IMAX Under the Sea in 3D. Wow! It looked awesome. On another note, I have to agree with another reviewer from here that 2D to 3D conversion is just say so-so. I really didn't expect something earth shattering in this area since I will never watch converted content. It looked okay but not like the content that is on a disk or the ESPN 3D channel. Love this TV!

‹ Previous 1 Next ›