5.0 out of 5 stars Takes a beating, May 9, 2010
This review is from: SureFire E2D LED Defender Flashlight (Sports)
I purchased my E2D LED Defender about 3 years ago while I was in Iraq. I needed a second light in addition to the tac-light on my weapon (SureFire Scout Lite M900...highly recommended as well). Few notes below:

Durable: The LED feature sold me. Far more durable than the regular bulbs. There is a great lens on this light. Very thick and does a great job focusing the light. Also, I don't know if this is a specified feature, but my light spent over a day wallowing in diesel fuel (almost completely submersed). I cleaned the light with non-corrosive oil and that was it...still lighting up the night.

Shock Proof: I have no idea how many times I dropped this with no negative effect to the light. This light was on me during a dismounted patrol when we were hit with an enemy fragmentation grenade. It blew out four of our tac-lights on our weapons, but I had my E2D as back up to assist in clearing the area. The light was clipped to my belt on the side of the blast, so it was even more exposed than my weapon light.

Battery life: Dual output feature is great. I sort of overlooked this feature when I purchased it. Having a high output and low output is an excellent ability for the user. High output is great for outdoor use and temporary blinding. Low output is ideal for indoor use when you don't want to compromise your natural night vision.

Defender Bezel: Another feature I overlooked. I never used it in a 'defensive' manner, but it contributes to the durability. Dropping the light lens first, countless times, has done nothing to the light. Additionally, this bezel is great for breaking windows (non-ballistic of course). Occassionally breaking a window on a local national's vehicle/home is mission essential (extracting people from vehicle accidents, gaining access to the vic/house without using a known entry point, or many other reasons). Hot knife through butter.

So far my light has spent 10 months in Iraq, 13 months state-side in training areas, and 12 months in Afghanistan. Initially, I was apprehensive about paying $120 for a backup light. Knowing what I know now, I would have paid twice the asking price. This is one of those items that is an essential part of my kit and I will own one for the rest of my life. Should this one ever fail...doubtful...I will certainly purchase another one. I'm not sure why it is so much now, but look around the net for the same light. I know you can get it for less.

***Update***
It also survives saltwater. Again, I cleaned the two rubber o-rings with a non-corrosive oil and they are still good to go.

I've had this light since 2008 and it goes everywhere I go. It is still a little expensive, but since it lasted so long, I cannot complain. The only thing I have replaced is the batteries. The only thing you might "add" is a nylon carrying case. The belt clip, although very strong, will dig straight into your hip. Otherwise, it will last forever.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2010 9:16:42 PM PST
Thanks for the great review.

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 8:42:25 AM PST
One of the best reviews I've ever read. If I worked in marketing for Surefire I'd hire you for a commercial. You sold me.

Good luck, hope you are home and safe.

Posted on May 11, 2011 11:23:49 AM PDT
v62cobra says:
Great review. Thank you for the information you have provided. Thank you for all you do.

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 12:09:33 PM PDT
mostserene1 says:
Excellent review. Stay safe and happy hunting.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 9:20:13 AM PDT
Linh Pham says:
Excellent review. You are the protector of my freedom, our freedom, the world's freedom. My gratitude for your service. God bless and come home safely.

Posted on Sep 10, 2011 6:34:20 PM PDT
Bruw says:
Thanks for your service. I admire your personal sacrifice and commitment in spite of tremendous risk.

With regard to surefire lights. I encourage anyone reading this review to consider other brands as well before they buy. I recently picked up a Fenix TK21 for half the price of this surefire and it has 468 lumens. I have also had good luck with Olight and jetBeam.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 11:12:26 AM PST
Do you know how this one compares to the surefire 6P LED Defender Single Output LED Flashlight? Its so much cheaper. I want it as a gift for my hubby.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 11:43:25 AM PST
RLTW says:
Hello Daisy,

I have not used the 6P LED Defender. However, if cost is a significant factor, I picked up a Quark x123 Tactical made by 4Sevens as a backup. That is about $65. Amazon carries it now, but the 4Sevens site has great info on the specs. It is extremely small, durable, and has great output. The biggest plus for this vs a single output light is that you can program two outputs for quick use. You can choose from 10 different outputs (.2 lumens to 230 lumens) and once programmed, you can switch between them by rotating the bezel. Battery life is amazing and the field of view from the light is great. Size and solid construction go way beyond the expectations of the price.

Bottom line. The price for the Quark is comparable to the 6P single output. If I were to choose between the two, I would certainly choose the Quark. I'm a big fan of Surefire, but the Quark gives you so many more options. Hope this helps.

-Matt

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 12:37:54 PM PST
Linh Pham says:
Dear Daisy,

There is no comparison. E2D-Led is superior to the 6P. The 6P has an output of only 80 lumens whereas the E2D-Led cranks out 200 lumens. The 6P has single output (constant 80 lumens) whereas the E2D-Led has 2 output levels 200 lumens and 5 lumens. At the latter output level, you can use up to 75 hours on a single set of batteries (although I have not personally experienced that duration). Construction: they both are small and compact, though for smaller hands the E2D-led has smaller diameter and may have a more comfortable grip/hold. They both use high strength aerospace aluminum. But the E2D-Led uses the hard anodized material - built to military specification for durability and dependability. Moreover, the E2D-Led has crenellated strike bezel and scalloped tail cap. Sure everyone talks about it for defensive purpose. I can only speculate people are talking about close range hand combat out in the battlefield. But for everyday or infrequent use, they don't serve any purpose. Exceptions are when you need to break a car window to save a baby in a hot car, or break a car window to escape a sinking or submerged car. So, really the justifications for the cost difference (for me at least) are lumen high output, lumen settings (200 and 5 lumens), and how they feel in your (my) hand. Therefore, I purchased the E2D-Led. If these justifications are not worthy of the extra cost, then I suggest the 6P - any product from Surefire is a surething (reliable, dependable, and durable). Hope this writing helps.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 7:40:48 PM PST
L. Holland says:
Thanks Matt for your service to our country. I was just about to buy a much less expensive light but your excellent review sold me. Please accept our thanks for the sacrifices made by you and your loved ones.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›