Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional mouse, great for the price., June 13, 2012
This review is from: C-TECH 7 Button Programmable 800 - 1600 - 2400 DPI Mouse (Electronics)
I've had this mouse for about a week now, and so far it is working mostly fine. It does just as it is expected to as a mouse, with the buttons and scroll wheel feeling great. Let's run down the feature list:

The adjustable weight really just seems like a gimmick, but I'm not particularly sensitive to that as others might be. At the very least if you take out the weights, there is a good compartment for hiding small valuables.

The variable dpi is useful, with the scroll wheel flashing blue when you change it, telling you which setting you are on. I find that anything but the slowest setting is too fast, and the mouse defaults to the fastest setting.

The software comes in the package on a little mini-CD, but it does not work. It installs just fine, but when you try to run the software you get an error message. I had to download a third-party program to be able to customize the buttons, but if all you need is the default with the side buttons controlling back and forward, it should be fine. The mini-CD itself was far more entertaining that the data that was on it. I couldn't find any information when I searched online for a manufacturer.

The scroll wheel is comfortably stiff, and the side scrolling feature is wonderful. That is something I sorely missed when I replaced my first mouse.

The media button I haven't found use for, and I don't think works properly. All it does for me is open Windows Media Player. Yet another gimmick.

Overall, it's a pretty good mouse for the price. I haven't had any major issues so far, and I use it for gaming and web browsing mostly. The tracking seems smooth and accurate enough, and it is fairly comfortable to hold. Let's see how it holds up as I continue to use it.

Pros:
-Adjustable weight good for comfort
-Changeable DPI setting quick and convenient
-Side scrolling is glorious
-Buttons and tracking quick and responsive

Cons:
-Software CD is useless
-Resets DPI setting to highest when you start up the computer, doesn't save your preference
-Online support?

EDIT:

After posting this review, the manufacturer contacted me telling me that they read my review and made changes to the product based off of it. This is the email that they sent me:

"Hello Kyle,

I am the Product Manager for the C-TECH Assassin Mouse.

I read your Amazon review of our mouse. I wanted to thank you for your feedback, and wanted to let you know that based on your review we have made the following changes:

1) On our next batch, the default speed will be the 800 DPI (slowest) setting

2) We recognize that there are issues with the mini CD. We have decided to forego the CD. We have now created a product detail and support page on our website which includes a download link to the mouse software. Our website is[...] Go to Products at the top and you will see a dropdown for the Assassin Mouse. On the product page is the Download link at the bottom.

Also, the Media Button turns the mouse into a media remote and enables play/pause control of media and volume control. Some users use the feature more than others. But we included it just in case.

Once again, thank you for your review and your purchase.

Sincerely,

C-TECH GEAR
Customer Service"

I was very impressed with the customer service after receiving this message, and that they actually went to change some things because of what I said. So while the mini-CD is useless, the software is now available online. Because of this, I am giving this mouse the additional star. I have had it for nearly a month now, and other than the DPI reset being a little annoying when I turn on my computer, I have had no problems with it, and the DPI issue has been resolved with the newer models.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]