4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it works., January 13, 2006
And I say it as an expert on just about any product that promises to reduce pet hair shedding, or make the clean up of it easier.

I have a Norwegian Elkhound, one very compact, highly intelligent, gorgeous and HAIRY dog. She has both a long coat and a very prolific downy white undercoat that seemingly sheds 24/7. It's got a cotton ball texture; tufts of it stick out, and if you pull it, you get a pouf of very soft white down that is guaranteed to stick to you and everything in its path.

My former regimen was to use a rubber curry brush for the long outer coat, and (the part I hate), an undercoat rake. No matter how much I brush her, I'm covered with hair, and there's a grocery bag FULL of hair. It's an hour to two hour task, and as much as I love my dog, a huge, hairy nuisance!

When I got the Furminator, I was impressed with the heft of it. I bought the large size with the idea that it'd be that much less effort (generally speaking, the small size is the cheapest, but it's so small, it would take forever on anything but the smallest or unhairiest dog. And the difference in price between the medium and large is, at most places, only a few bucks. If you're going to invest in the furminator, go for the size that makes the most out of every pass over the dog's coat.)

So I tried a few swoops on the dog. And yeah, it resulted in a ton of hair, but if I just run my fingers through her coat, I get pretty much the same result.

I got a grocery bag (to store the hair pulled off the comb) and set to work. On the initial combing, it took a little less than the usual hour it does. What was interesting, though, is that I used only the Furminator, not the undercoat rake and curry comb combo I usually use. In that sense, it was less time and effort.

The bag, as usual, was full. But the thing that really sold me on the Furminator is how good her coat looked. Very professional looking, like she had just gotten back from the groomer's.

Now it's a few days later, and lo and behold, one of the promises the maker of the Furminator made seems to actually be true: there is less loose hair on her. Usually I see long hairs and some of those fluffy white tufts peeking up, but that's not the case after her de-Furmination. NO loose hair, no undercoat tufts!

I can say that, based on me trying just about every comb, method, and grooming device, this is the first time my dog's been this relatively hairless since I got her.

The Furminator promises that there will be less of a hair problem with its use. All I can say is that based on one thorough use of it, that claim seems to be true. I'd recommend it (and it does have a 30 day money-back guarantee from the manufacturer.)

I'd also recommend you shop around for price. I got the best deal on this (including shipping) from an ebay store (not a regular auction.) Just beware the shipping prices on places that seem to be cheap.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 21, 2007 2:07:09 AM PDT
L. Jennings says:
I have a Norwegian Elkhound, too, and will now make this purchase. Thanks for the informative review!

Posted on Feb 17, 2008 7:02:08 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 17, 2008 7:02:38 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 9, 2008 8:53:12 AM PDT
from Alaska says:
Thanks, I have been debating over the size due to the expense. The large does make more sense for a big dog.

Posted on Jan 24, 2009 8:04:09 AM PST
A. Swain says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2009 1:29:51 AM PST
Anne Muir says:
If you read the entire review...

"The only reason why I'm not five-starring this is because of the price. I still don't see why it's so expensive, and I got a good price on it w/shipping (I paid $40 and that's still too much!) I'm also worried about the cost of replacement blades for this. There's simply no reason it should cost so much!"

The review as a whole was a huge positive for the product and a good review. So what if she knocks off a star because the reviewer feels it was overpriced.

Posted on Jun 23, 2009 12:03:45 PM PDT
I have 3 Norwegian Elkhounds and will now buy a furminator. Thanks for the info.

Posted on Jul 14, 2009 10:46:59 AM PDT
C. Ballard says:
Buy it on Ebay! I got a brand new Large Furminator for $17.59 with free shipping. I bought one at my local pet store and loved it, but I paid over $50 and had a little buyers remorse because it was so expensive. So I looked on Ebay and wa-la! CHEAP!! It's a great tool. I have Lab/Shepherd mix girls and they love to be combed with it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2010 7:24:47 AM PST
I just bought the med. size one on Ebay to use on my Sheltie for $4.99 + 5.99 shipping, brand new...I'm excited to see how well it works on her!

Posted on May 14, 2010 1:44:56 AM PDT
D. Hubbard says:
Replacement blades? Why would you need to replace the blade?

Posted on Sep 18, 2010 5:43:27 PM PDT
I have a lab/shepard mix and she sheds constantly too. I am amazed by the amount of fur that comes out of her in a half hour of work. The price is an issue so shopping around makes sense. I got mine on amazon for like $11 plus tax with free shipping.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›