2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down..should have dropped it, December 23, 2011
This review is from: Covert Warriors (A Presidential Agent Novel Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
I read it in almost 12 hours. I was so pumped for it. I am an avid devotee of Presidential Series. My opinion? GREAT LET DOWN! For instance, I enjoyed the different stages of drama 1) Possible presidential meltdown of an incompetent CIC 2) Possible retailiation by Putin 3) Drug war influence with introducing a new ally for Castillo 4) But what was delivered by Father and Son was good background intrigue but no follow-up on anything dramatic. Too many open ended questions. For instance, 1) It was implied that Montvale may be involved in the coup d'etat but nothing explored. 2) So much was written about the transfer of Ferris that hardly anything was mentioned on his plight or what was happening behind the scenes that led up to the next to last chapter! Only 1 chapter on the planning and execution of the extraction? 3) No other mention on what Abrego's people were doing or planning or how that played out. That was disappointing. 4) It appeared the rest of Castillo's men or "the Other People" took a break from this book. I don't know why the author's did that especially after the confrontation in the beginning of the book 5) Castillo and Sweaty are going to be parents? That got 2 sentences and nothing else was mentioned. 6) There was also an implication that Abuela's involvement may be the heaviest since the series started but nothing afterwards. 7) There was mention of Naylor and McNab maybe playing a role in making things right, but that was another let down. 8) I'm not sure what side of the fence Montavle, Lammelle, and Cohen are on now. Based on the last book, Lammelle and Montavle owe Castillo and the gang for being in the positions they're in but I'm not sure whose side they're on now. Usually, Natalie Cohen knows everything but she was unusually out-of-the-loop until she and Charley talked. But nothing led up to her being untrustworthy. In closing, I am very disappointed in ending of book. There wasn't the usual excitement in the planning and execution of the mission. Thumbs down.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2011 6:26:39 AM PST
Mark Jones says:
I agree with you that the last chapter was a major let down. When I saw that I didn't have many pages I left, I thought the fate of Colonel Ferris would be left until the next book. The last chapter needs about 10-20 more pages. I thought the book wasn't bad but felt disappointed and cheated by the last chapter.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 1:26:15 PM PST
MM78664 says:
I haven't read the new book yet, but what you say about the last chapter seems like par for the course for most of the series. I love the books and the characters but this is one of the areas that could use some improvement.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 11:24:16 AM PST
HH26STAR says:
I echo this persons assessment. I am an avid fan that has read everyone of his books, most multiple times over the years, and I was disappointed in the plotting and failure to flesh out several scenarios. Especially the rescue of Farris and his return to the states and what happened to the exchange of Abrego. I have always been a little put off by Griffins penchant for including too much detail from his earlier books in the series just to make the tale a longer read.
He sometimes inserts additional intel but I have caught him in several contradictions to what he wrote before, like he forgot what he had said before. His proof readers should have brought this to his attention. His fans devour every word he writes and those goofs detract.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 3:37:36 AM PST
Thanks for your comments. You gave me another perspective to drop his rating to 1-star now.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 2:11:23 PM PST
JRH says:
I feel pretty much the same way... Let Down. This series has gone from mediocre to bad. At one point, I stopped and checked the author to see if by chance I was reading Clancy's latest spoof. It seems when WEBG passed his baton, it got dropped. Who knows, maybe some generals feel they are just errand boys that fly back and forth at a president's whim.
Overall.... It is weak.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 9:09:11 PM PST
John Luther says:
I agree with this analysis and felt like throwing the book out the window after that last chapter. Perhaps there was a warning in Chapter 9, 48 pages from the end, when the history of Charley and Naylor's relationship was first brought up. Seems to me that it had no impact on the story at this point. Perhaps if it was described in the early chapters it would have been meaningful to those who are not Presidential Agent fans.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 9:21:29 AM PST
i quite agree with those who write who state this book was a great disappointment. Never again will I buy a President Series installment and I have them all so far.

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 7:36:06 PM PST
I have loved this series but I wonder if someone died, got sick, orjust got bored with the story line! JC on a crutch what happened the last 35 or 40 pages? It is like they just slopped together something to get the book sold.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 7:34:16 AM PDT
Jeff Nelson says:
I too felt that this book was a great disappointment. I have read all of the Corps Series as well as the Presidential Agent series and this is by far the worst book that I have read by Griffin (and Son). I don't know what happened, but as stated by others the ending plain stunk. I have seen a trend though in Griffin's books in this series that makes me wonder. He spends the better part of the book on character development and building a plot, but the climax is just horrible.

The back story in this one was painful to read. There were so many errors (as stated by others) that made me want to throw the book. Before I read this book though I went back and read the previous 6 to make sure I would have the entire story fresh in my head and I noticed errors in some of the last few books as well. Nothing as bad as this one though. I really don't see a purpose in revisiting the entire back story of how Castillo met Naylor, or what happened in the Gulf War. Make a brief reference and get on with the story at hand.

It was a wonderful concept that had so much potential. If the story line would be more developed and have a lot more action at the end rather than a page or two there would be a chance that I would have enjoyed this much more. I hope that there are changes made in the next book (if there is one).

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 6:07:13 AM PDT