66 of 66 people found the following review helpful
Excellent Ghetto-pad once you flash it.,
First off, THIS TABLET IS NOT AN IPAD COMPETITOR!
This is an entry level tablet that initially has limited functionality that may frustrate you.
You need to flash it. Basically, what you are doing is loading new firmware/software on the device using a SD-Card. "Flashing" your tablet is relatively easy once you get over your fear of breaking it. Here are a few simple steps for success:
1. Do a search for "Pandigital Novel Hacking Slatedroid". (I'm not sure if Amazon allows URLs, so I'm giving you the search term).
2. Do some research on your particular version. In my case I had a newer version, but yours may be different.
3. Find the firmware version you want to use. (I used "Kewlguy's" latest update because its still maintained.)
4. Put the firmware on an SD-Card with NO other files. The firmware version should be in .zip format.
5. Shut down your tablet.
6. Insert the SD-Card.
7. Press and hold the POWER and VOLUME+ for approximately five(5) seconds. (Just long enough for the initial booting screen to come on.)
8. Wait. DON'T TOUCH IT! Just wait a few minutes. If you see a little android guy and a box its doing it's job. Leave it be.
9. CONGRATULATIONS! You should have a fully operational Android 2.2 tablet if you did it right.
Now, go to the unlocked android marketplace and download the free version of Aldiko so you can ignore both BN and Amazon apps.
Review after flash:
It's a cheap slow tablet running an 800 Mhz processor with the capability of running android 2.2. The battery life is a little short, but not by much. The wifi connectivity works, but does seem to be rather short ranged. The 1 gig internal storage is small, but you should be using a SD-Card, since it will take up to a 32 Gig card (just as much as one of those expensive ipads). It does just about everything a fully featured ipad competitor does, except the camera, but much slower. If you're looking for something entry level this is the tablet to get. What else do you expect to get for such a low price? So there you go. My review of the Pandigital Ghettopad.
NOTE: If you don't protect it the screen WILL GET SCRATCHED, so buy a screen protector.