3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but flawed-- in serious need of testing, December 11, 2006
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I hate to be the first to write a non-glowing review of R6Vegas, but I have not had the most stellar experience with it. I have had it for a few weeks now and have tried to give it every chance.. but it still disappoints.

The game has its high points; it is a continuation of a terrific game, Rainbow6 3 for the xbox. R63 was one of the top xbox games in my opinion, on campaign and on multiplayer. The online co-op in particular was excellent; the weapon selection was extensive and well-rounded, and the reaction times of the controller were instantaneous. It was a well-thought out game and very stable. I have not played any of the games between R63BA and R6Vegas, so I cannot comment on other R6 games since then, but my memories of R63 and R63BA for xbox were all very positive.

R6Vegas, on the other hand, is plagued with problems right out of the box. It regularly locks up on me in the middle of single-player or multiplayer modes -- maybe once or twice a day. Voice communication on xbox live frequently cuts out for one or more players. The weapon choices are much more limited than in R63 (where is the fun grenade launcher?). There is no way to skip the annoying introductory cutscenes (especially when restarting from the first level). Many times, on multiplayer co-op, the game drops the entire team underneath the ground where we fall until the game is rebooted. The checkpoints are often maddeningly far apart. I wish that the controller could be customized to allow hotkeying of weapons. In the heat of battle, when you run out of ammo, it takes far too long to bring up the menu system and switch to an alternate weapon. On all of these items, the original R63 for the xbox was far superior.

I get suspicious when I see the "powered by the Unreal engine" logo on startup of the game. It appears that, instead of making or reusing an original game engine of their own, Ubisoft took an existing game engine and rushed it out the door to cash in on a profitable franchise in time for the holiday season. I wonder if the myriad of bugs are due to this. Even boasting this game engine, the game graphics are largely boring and uninteresting. There are no crisp graphics like other recent 360 titles.

All that being said -- it is still an enjoyable game. Single-player mode has an engaging story line and the setting is very interesting. Multiplayer and co-op modes are fun and challenging. The formula that made R63 and R63BA so enjoyable has, to a limited extent, also been successful with R6Vegas.

I hope that there will be a patch that will address all of the bugs and errors that really should have been flushed out BEFORE the game was launched. I ran into all of the bugs I mention above within the first day of playing. It is obvious that the QA process was skipped in order to get the game on the shelves. Had I known the problems that this game has, I certainly would have opted for Gears of War rather than this one. For such a high price tag for these games, I think that we deserve a better product. I hate feeling cheated by a game purchase, and that is exactly how I felt with R6Vegas.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]