3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the GoPole Reach instead, January 6, 2014
This review is from: SP Gadgets POV Pole GoPro-Edition (36 inch, Black) (Electronics)
I ordered this for my GoPro Hero 3 Silver camera. At first it worked great--the tubes slid smoothly in and out, my camera didn't wobble, and it was nice and compact when folded. But the third time I used it the largest of the tubes wouldn't come out. I showed it to a friend who is very handy, but no luck getting it out. So I returned it and got the GoPole REACH - Telescoping Extension Pole for GoPro HERO Cameras 17-40".

Update January 18, 2014: After using my GoPole for a week on vacation I can tell you that it's better functioning and better designed. I'll be writing a detailed review on it, but here are my comments in response to the leading review that recommends the POV over the GoPole:

1. Weight--the extra 1.6 oz of the GoPole makes no practical or noticeable difference to me.

2. Length--the extra 4" of the GoPole is not an issue even in a small backpack where it sticks out. With the zipper closed nothing falls out. For the larger backpack that I take when I travel there's plenty of room.

3. Wrist strap--doesn't feel cheap and flimsy to me at all. To the contrary it's made out of durable material and has a nice cinch button for quick and easy size adjustment.

4. Tubes-The GoPole tubes are far superior. Not only are they larger and have a nicer finish, but unlike the POV, which has three tubes that pull out of the base, the GoPole has only two. I find my Hero 3 Silver is more stable on the GoPole at full length than the POV because the thicker tubes provide greater support.

5. Slack on 3rd section--not a problem on my unit.

Also the nut on the plastic head is securely attached on the GoPole. On the POV I received it was loose and came off, so I had to be careful not to lose it.

I used my GoPole on vacation in fresh water, in a pool with chlorine, and in the ocean. No problems of any kind. After heavy duty use on my vacation I can definitely say that this works easier and better than the POV and is worth the few extra dollars.

Update February 18, 2014: When I purchased this product at the end of November 2013 the price was 49.99 with free Prime shipping. The price has now increased to 70 plus shipping, which is ridiculous. Buy the GoPole Reach, which is far superior, and currently costs 54.95 with free Prime shipping.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]