3.0 out of 5 stars Love Dyer But A Touch Too Far, March 21, 2012
This review is from: Wishes Fulfilled: Mastering the Art of Manifesting (Hardcover)
Firstly, if manifesting is your thing, I'd suggest you buy this set. However, the content of this Dyer work might be a bit too far to the woo-side for some who consider themselves rationalist or those who are more into goal attainment and less into spirituality or the paranormal. I think I fall into that category. I've been listening to Dyer for years but knew the benefits of manifesting well before I'd ever heard the word.

As a kid I used the power of manifesting and imagination to reach goals; not because I'd listened to Dyer and the like, but because I was an imaginative kid. For instance, when I wanted to go to a certain college/conservatory (that everyone told me I could not get into) after I auditioned I memorized all of the places on campus that I would hang out as a new student and I would endlessly daydream about my new life there; I even bought their college t-shirts which I wore around my hometown until the acceptance letter inevitably arrived (that I knew was coming anyway). I did this throughout my life with good and sometimes surprising results. Then I discovered there was a word for it. I never considered myself spiritual, nor was I into orbs or past lives. That's where Dyer comes in.

Throughout the recording Dyer refers to these orbs that have been following him while lecturing and have appeared in various photos. This is irrelevant at best and may turn off people who are more skeptical about the paranormal (like my atheist husband) but could benefit from manifesting. For me personally, the belief or disbelief in orbs, past lives and the reality of manifesting occupy completely different areas of my brain. And in my opinion has nothing to do with fulfilling wishes.

I think there is also a dangerous element here: While I do think that employing the practice of manifesting is essential in attaining goals and reaching one's highest self, I would probably stop there. When it comes to serious illnesses, one should manifest a good doctor. A little personal anecdote: I don't get colds. I never have and I've always confidently repeated this fact to people; I actually believe that this is a form of manifesting. However, when it comes to cancer for instance I think Dyer takes a dangerous turn in suggesting that manifesting should be employed here. He doesn't come out and say "don't listen to your doctor" but it's strongly implied. Then he mentions this "John of god" character and talks about psychic surgery. I mean, I understand that when people are diagnosed with a serious illness they get scared and sometimes desperate; Dyer is no exception. However, I don't think that one has to choose one or the other(although I believe there is a scientific basis behind manifesting). Find a non-fatalistic doctor and keep imagining and manifesting a healthier future. I have great respect for doctors and scientist and I just don't think we know enough about how manifesting works to replace them with the likes of "John of god."

So, what did I like? Everything else! As always, Dyer comes up with some memorable and inspiring quotes. I also love the chapters titled "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep" where he discusses putting your subconscious mind to work while you sleep. This has become one of my favorite parts of the day - daydreaming before I fall asleep! However, I think most of his ideas here have been repeated in various books and recordings of his but it's nice to have them compiled into one set. I also like the "I am" mantra philosophy vs. repeating "I will be" or "I want to be;" I think the point is that repeating "I am" vs. a less confident phrase produces better results. However, it does make me wonder whether when Dyer says "I am now cancer free" on stage during his most recent PBS show, whether he actually is or if he's practicing his "Wishes Fulfilled" steps. If he is, that makes me very sad for him but if he isn't, he should be on the cover of Scientific America.

Anyhow, if you agree with some of the criticisms I mentioned above, I'd advise you focus on the "middle of the set" - discs 2 though 5. Disc 1 and the beginning of disc 2 are rather loopy and I think he gets into psychic surgery on disc 6.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 30, 2012 3:33:45 AM PDT
A nice review insightful and sincere.. thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 11:12:55 AM PDT
Liz Gage says:
I think your review is fair and glad you sited the negatives in a balanced not too judgmental way - I agree with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 12:45:14 PM PDT
jnet says:
Thank you so much. Writing this was cathartic for me as I was a bit conflicted about this book. I was grappling with accepting strong disagreements on some points along with very strong agreement of others. Just because I was highly skeptical of some of the experiences he recounted, did this mean my anecdotal experience with manifesting was all wrong? No, of course but that was a hard decision to come to. I think he's unfortunately sullied what could have been a gem of a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 1:35:53 PM PDT
Liz Gage says:
Thanks for responding to my response- I guess we were both affected because of similar ambivalent feelings. I posted last night with what most affected me about obs and Bells Palsy and needed to vent that before I could go on to read the rest and take the good and just pass on what did not set right. Agree with your last sentence and hope many others do not have to go through what ever personal negatives and just get to what works best for them. Wew - I needed that!

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 1:05:34 PM PDT
E. Macie says:
I appreciate your fair and honest review. I have more or less followed Wayne Dyer since I met him years ago when he first started out on the book tours and his personal life was a bit questionable ( which he has admitted to.) Anyone who loves to write, sing, paint or any job for that matter will continue to do it as long as they can. Betty White is a prime example. There are just so many ways you can write about New Thought so there are bound to be a common thread through out his books. What surprises me is that he would go public about his cancer and his treatment. He must honestly believe that he was led to John of God and that he is cured. I pray that he is right, for him and everyone else who believes as he does.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 3:23:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012 3:23:48 PM PDT
M. Nelson says:
Personally, I was a bit disappointed he felt he needed to go to someone outside like John of God for his healing. Maybe he has doubts that tend to come up for most of us about our own powers and possibilties?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 3:57:53 PM PDT
E. Macie says:
I think part of the idea is that we are led to what we need to fulfill our wishes. He or anyone else for that matter doesn't visualize and then not take action. Wayne's books didn't write themselves. He first visualized how he wanted them to look and contain, then he sat down and did all the work. Wayne did not go to John of God, he BELIEVED he was led to him when someone suggested it. He BELIEVED that John could heal him remotely. Watch his interview on Oprah's Own channel. Everything that we have in our modern world was first visualized. Someone believed it could be done and set to work and followed the direction they were led to go. If you are a Christian you would know this is what Jesus taught along with many other religions of the world.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 7:58:35 AM PST
Ron Eastman says:
Your review is dead on. I am a long time fan of Dr. Dyer and read this book cover to cover in record time for me. I thoroughly enjoyed and was excited by the primary message of Wishes Fulfilled in particular the emphasis on leveraging the power of the subconscious and positive thinking. Unfortunately I felt the book ended with a major thud with the time and words spent on decribing the John of God events as well as the hypnotherapy, march through time dialogue. I felt this muted the main message and for me detracted from the effectiveness of the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2014 8:28:34 PM PDT
Thanks, Ron for your thoughts. I, too, am a long time fan of Dr. Dyer. I find him to be a kind, compassionate person. He came up the "ladder of success" with great effort. He's highly educated in the world of psychology and philosophy. I enjoy his "Wisdom of the Ages," and his respect for Emerson and Thoreau and other great men. They are intelligent, rational people. I have trusted Dr Dyer to be an honest, rational voice, but I was a bit skeptical about his past lives experience. I'm not sure what to think about the "John of God" experience. I'm also very put off by his association with Esther Hicks and the Abraham movement. He's been doing interviews with Esther Hicks sponsored by Hay House (it's available on YouTube). I'm very suspect of people who say they are "channeling" from spirits on the other side, especially those who are making millions of dollars doing it. Why are people so willing to believe these charlatans when they can pray and get their own answers? I pray every day that I can find truth and not be deceived. I want to learn from great teachers. I had trusted Dr. Dyer, but now I'm not sure about him. I know that he has taught a lot of truth. I guess I should learn from the truths he has taught and discard the rest. I just wonder what you think?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (652 customer reviews)

$24.95 $14.10