5.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding and comfortable earphones, February 5, 2011
This review is from: Logitech Ultimate Ears 500vi Noise-Isolating Headset - Dark Silver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I was looking for a new set of earphones to replace my two-years old Apple in-ear earphones and after many tests I decided to keep these Logitech UE 500vi.

My absolute requirement was to get a decent sounding earphone with in-line controls for my iPhone. I don't use the phone much for making phone calls but I love the possibility to control volume and play/pause/skip etc from the cable while my phone is tucked away in my backpack or pocket.

I ordered (and then returned thanks to the great Amazon return policy) the following earphones:

Etymotic ER23-HF3 - Extremely uncomfortable for my ear canals. I would really have hard time to fit them. Sound quality is very good but it would take me too long to fit them correctly and after only 10 minutes my ears would hurt (not for the sound but for the awkward position).

Klipsch Image S4i - Again great sound but extremely uncomfortable for my ears. These units are built like a little cone with the base facing your ear canal. The edge of the cone would push on the inside of my ear.

Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 - I know, these do not have volume control on the wire but since the wire is replaceable I considered the possibility of making one my own from a cheap pair of iPhone headphones. Sound quality is absolutely impressive! The best I've ever heard. They are also quite comfortable. Too bad these earphones stick out a lot and not only make you look like a dude from outer space but there is no way you can use them leaning your side of you head on a pillow. These are professional devices and need to be used for that purpose. Too much for me!

Sennheiser MM 70 iP - Good sound quality. Don't like the J wire too much (the right ear-bud wire goes behind your neck). I compared these directly with the UE 500Vi and the UE have a much fuller sound.

I decided to stick with the UE 500 Vi because the sound quality is very good, the audio controls are easy to access, ear-buds are extremely small, comfortable and fit flush with the ear. From a sound point of view I would rate the TripleFi the best of the bunch followed by the HF3 and then UE and last Klipsch and Sennheiser. Mind you all of these sets are very good but the UE have fuller basses and crispier highs than S4i and MM70.

Construction: The material of the ear-buds looks and feels like cheap plastic. Wires are flat, no complains so far. Control feels good and button have a good click feedback. Plug is bent 90° at the end which I think is great.

They come with five additional silicone ear cushions pairs. The package also includes a carrying plastic case with a very flimsy hinge and will probably break soon.

So far I am very satisfied with these earphones. I realize there are better sounding earphones out there but in my opinion these offer the best overall compromise.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 11, 2011 2:41:02 PM PDT
J. Page says:
Thanks for the great review. I am wondering what the cord length is of these UE 500s since I can't seem to find that information anywhere? If you know and could respond it would help me out a lot, thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 8:29:46 PM PDT
Luca says:
The cord is exactly 4' in length.
6 months later I still love these earbuds. They still work great and I use them every day!

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 9:01:17 PM PDT
J. Page says:
Thanks for the info! I have some klipsch s4i that I like but now I am looking for something without a remote to use with a Sony BT adapter.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 8:06:56 PM PST
I'm wondering if Amazon really allows one to return earbuds after they've been tried out? Thanks for your review!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 9:54:19 PM PST
Tony M. says:
^^Yes, they do. I've had 3 pairs of these quit on me, and had no problem exchanging/returning them for a full refund. Return shipping was free.

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 11:03:47 AM PDT
ken says:
Hi, i own the "Klipsch Image S4i " golden and black one from Amazon. The earphone's weight is so light and it doesn't offer much bass for my gangster raps. So I am wondering if the Klipsch brand is just for other music.

Do you hav any suggestion on heavy bass earphones?
Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 11:54:59 PM PDT
Ryan says:
I'm not the original reviewer here, but I thought I'd chime in. The Klipsch Image S4 has a pretty heavy low end, so your experience with them is unusual; I've heard a few complaints on the sound of the S4, but bass light is not one of them. Try a bass heavy equalizer setting(Electronic/R&B on the ipod/iphone, for instance) and make sure you have a nice, tight seal. I do own a pair of the S4s and I can say that for me, the tips that came fitted onto them didn't give the best seal. I don't have huge ears, but the larger tips made for a better fit and delivered a plentiful low end thump as a result.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 8:19:40 AM PST
Amazon is not supposed to be a listening station. If you want to try out headphones, go to BestBuy and buy them there.

People like you who order seven different items and return six of them because you didn't like them as much cost us all money.

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 9:43:07 AM PDT
Chandie says:
Note, this review is for the VI variety ("I" is for iOS); the VM variety is Android-specific... not sure why the "M"...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›