An Amazon.com official commented on the review belowSee comments
7,409 of 7,787 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd) (Electronics)
I have been an Amazon customer for years having owned the first gen Kindle and currently the 6" Kindle. I have purchased the 1st gen Fires for my children for Christmas last year and I have purchased both the touch and 1st Fire for my father.

I already own an Ipad and did not feel the need to own a Fire, since I believe they duplicated the same purpose. I did however place an order for the Paperwhite, but after thinking about it, why not own a full functional device that is more than just an ereader.

I love the eInk displays and how light the regular Kindles are. One of my main gripes about tables are that they are heavier and you cant read the screen in bright daylight. I'm not really sure why the daylight is such a big deal for me, since I probably only read outside when I'm on vacation (2x a year).

Anyway, I cancelled the Paperwhite and ordered the Fire HD. I love it. It is portable, I never take my Ipad anywhere, just too big. I uploaded my entire music library from Itunes to Amazon Cloud, (so much for being locked down Apple!) and of course all of my books are on it. I regularly borrow books from my local library and was often frustrated that when I was away from home I could not search for books on my regular Kindle, becuase the experimental browser was just not functional enough.

The sound is amazing as everyone has said, as well as the display. No need to go into detail about what everyone else said. My only gripe is that the touch screen is not really as responsive as I would like, but it still works fine. The display does cut the reflection and you can read out doors. That is not to say there is no glare, it's just not an unreadable LCD screen any longer.

As far as the ads go, I don't find them obtrusive. I like knowing what other people bought or may have looked at. What's the big deal? If your friends recommend something to you, do you get mad? Same thing here to me.

I like that I can sync my email and now, actually use the Prime streaming video service. Yes, I know I could use the app on my Ipad, but like I said, I like it all packaged neatly here.

My only question is how many HD movies/TV shows can you download to the device? I like to download them when I travel and delete when I get home.

If you are an Amazon user, you should know that this tablet is no different that any other device (Apple?) that tries to get you completely integrated into their system. Should not really be a surprise to anyway that all of the shopping experiences point to Amazon.

I am pleased to have a tablet that is portable and easy to use.

Great job Amazon.

My word to the rest of the "reviewers" don't actually own the product, but write reviews on products that you don't own, to grip about a feature you read about. It's silly and clutters the reviews for those of us that actually like reading what other people are saying about a product.

**Update 10/1/2012**

After having my fire for a few weeks I still have very few complaints. I pretty much carry it with me whenever I am out of the house. I love having the option to read or if there way available wi-fi watch a movie. I wish it came with 4G but I bet it would make the price out of line with other small tablets.

The only cons I have is the typing experiences. It seems there is not predicitive text for the Silk browser which makes typing a little tough. I hear though there will be an update.

I dislike fingerprints on the screen when reading, but easily remedied with s soft cloth.

I have read 3 books and I am on my 4th and the screen is no issue whatsoever. This was my biggest concern before purchasing. I have no issue whatsoever. Just so you know, I read a lot and love the Eink Kindles, so this was an experiment to see if I could read for long periods of time with no eyestrain. Not an issue at all.

All in all I still love it. I have not used my Ipad since getting my fire.

stem
An Amazon.com official commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Oct 1, 2012 5:13:28 PM PDT
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're glad you're enjoying your Kindle Fire HD, and we are particularly excited to see your encouraging comments regarding the display and sound quality, as the team worked really hard to build an excellent experience.

We wanted to answer your question about storage. HD content is much larger than SD content, which is why Kindle Fire HD starts at 16GB. On average, a 90 minute HD movie is 2GB and a 45 minute HD TV episode is 0.9GB. With your 16GB Kindle Fire HD, you can have up to 6 HD movies or 13 HD TV episodes. This number will vary depending on the other items you have stored or installed on your device.

We hope this information helps.

Thanks,
The Kindle Team

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 31-40 of 71 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 7:39:13 PM PDT
I'm not saying they are the same, that I am just not having an issue with reading on the fire. Is an dedicated ereader better? Sure, but you choose a fire for all of its abilities, not just a ereader.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 7:40:18 PM PDT
i dont think it does since they dont constantly change while it is asleep.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 9:22:36 AM PDT
Kayla says:

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 12:29:07 PM PDT
is it possible to browse the internet on kindle fire hd? Does it have a navigator?

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 10:06:17 PM PDT
timattwister says:
I waited after I was one of the first to suggest the Kindle Fire get bluetooth - then when I finally get my HD the bluetooth is not compatible with my IMac - you have to buy a separate power cord for this unit. The old case will not fit the new HD - The sound is excellent - screen is amazing - the size is perfect for me. I am hoping my use will out way the drawbacks. Maybe the Bluetooth can be fixed??? I hope so.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 10:20:02 AM PDT
deb217 says:
I have every generation of kindle ereaders (as well as the Kindle Fire). I debated between the Kindle Fire HD and the Paperwhite (I chose the Kindle Fire HD). By the way, I still carry my Kindle 3 3g or Kindle Touch 3g with me everywhere. So they haven't gone by the wayside. I also own an iPad so I don't need the Nexus. Here are some reasons I like the Fire HD:
1. I can adjust the screen brightness to fit my comfort zone.
2. I love the ability to listen to a book with text to speech.
3. I love the whispersync and immersion. This alone is a good reason to get the Fire HD. You buy the book and are offered a reduced price on the audible edition. The audible edition loads automatically on the book. Then you can choose to listen and/or read the book. The text is highlighted and pages are turned automatically which is handy when you are busy doing something else.
4. I can watch the purchased movies or the Amazon Prime movies.
5. I can purchase music and use this device to listen to my music.
6. Books with illustrations and color pictures are shown in HD and with clarity.
7. Photos can be uploaded.
8. With the camera, I can skype with friends (where there is wifi).
9. I like the bluetooth to connect to bluetooth devices.
I don't buy the game apps. So cannot speak to them.
Bottom-line, I'm glad I chose the Fire HD. With the $20 difference in price I feel I made the right choice for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 11:47:18 AM PDT
Yes, the Fire HD has a full functional browser called Silk. You can browse to virtually any webpage/site

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 7:17:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2012 7:18:39 PM PDT
Objective says:
The new pricing policy for the HD (different price shown up front with and without ads) is great. This should eliminate half the complaints customers might be posting.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 9:53:21 PM PDT
D. Judy says:
Thank you! You helped me make my decision, I am buying my first kindle for reading but thought I may just go for the whole setup. However, since I'm getting it mostly for books I was also worried about the display on the fire. Sounds like it won't be much of a problem. Opting against the paperwhite.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 5:50:42 AM PDT
Jules says:
I'm looking at making a Kindle Fire purchase. We've had iPads but no Kindles yet. We're going on a cruise and I want to know if it will work on the ship and out of country. With the ipads (we have first and third generation), they only connected when we had ATT or Verizon coverage (respectively). What would we be able to do with the Kindle on the cruise (Caribbean area)? Full functionality or would we want to have books/mags/movies already downloaded and that would be the extent of the usage?

Review Details