3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but..., January 5, 2011
This review is from: WD TV Live Hub 1TB Media Center (Old Model) (Electronics)
Set up was easy (I used a wired connection because it was convenient for me and the WIFI is not integrated). It connects as a NAS, but the copy speed was painstakingly slow. In the end it is much faster to use the USB connection to copy in your media files.

The main menus are easy enough to use, the setup was not complex, but it took several tries to get the media library compiled. I had to clear it and re-compile it several times before it found everything. Sorting and categorizing is ok, but weak, allows no cover art (don't think iTunes-like here...), no descriptions.

The remote is adequate but is missing a few things users take for granted, notably no slow-motion (forward or back), and video control is very imprecise. The remote control buttons are confusingly placed and make it awkward in a dimly lit room. Using the on-screen keyboard with the remote is not at all a positive experience.

It has an automatic firmware update feature, but the WD Support site is full of horror stories of firmware updates that totally or partially disable the unit. Note that their site is also full of complaints about their generally unresponsive support. Not a good thing.

I do like it for streaming and watching NetFlix but that's available on my TV and DVD player as well (again, the remote is awkward here, sometimes unresponsive too). The YouTube interface is not so easy to use (the remote...), but Pandora is just fine.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 14, 2011 12:43:17 PM PDT
Michael says:
Just experienced terrible firmware update yesterday. kept freezing or rebooting. finally gave up and returned to earlier firmware. to bad as one major change was the interface for Netflix. it was so much better.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 9:10:21 AM PDT
Can you use the USB to share files between this device and the PC? how?

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 10:14:36 AM PDT
K. Badders says:
I just wanted you to know I have this model and I have two other company media players and this one is the best there is. All three of mine are a little slow to copy using ethernet not one is faster than the other but none are that slow I copied allmost 100Gb in less than an hour however USB is much faster. I also had no trouble with the fact that it doesn't use cover art my others maybe all others don't either however it woud be a nice addition and allthough the onscreen keyboard is not a good experience at first you get used to it just like I did with my iPad.
Also I had three firmware updates since I bought it and had absolutly no problem with them. I was told that if there is though you can just call them and they will walk you through a reverse upgrade and then help you reinstall the upgrade so I called them and they confirmed this and told me if they can not then I can send it to them and it would be repaired and the new firmware would be installed for me and they were very informative and very polite they went out of their way to make me feel I had made the right decision buying this media player. I don't believe all the things I read do you? Some of the problems people have with these products I know are with their computers not the media player I build computers and fix them and upgrade them so I know some of the problems people have are computer related and or network related not media player related. I have had no problems playing anything I throw at this player and I have used most of the formate's it states it can handle.
Also I find the remote extreemly easy to use and mine does have fast foward and reverse and slow play I don't know why yours doesn't. Perhaps you should stop reading bad reviews about this product and give them a call yourself but don't expect an instant reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 10:16:15 AM PDT
Michael,
Call them they will help you

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 10:26:36 AM PDT
Luis,
Just connect the media player via USB to the computer then open my computer and you will see the media player open it there you will see your media player folders then you can open the folders that have on your computer and drag the files you want to share to and from the devise by droping them where you want them. Now if you are talking about sharing them with another network say a friends you can call Western Digital, to walk you through setting up a network on your computer for sharing your files it can be done but I don't have the time to explain it here and it is better that you follow their instructions via a live instructional conversation.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:27:23 AM PST
Can you turn off the automatic updates ?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:01:06 AM PST
K. Badders says:
I am not sure if you can turn off the auto updates I wanted them however you may be able to do it in the options settings area. They give me a choice though when they notified me of the updates i had to select "Yes or No" and I guess you can just select No if you don't want them or just use this with a flash drive or hard drive and just select local source in the options for it to run off any of those and that way you don't have to connect it to your computer you can fill your hard drive or flash drive up and use that it's what I do now and find it easier and the movies load much faster and seem to play much better for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:07:16 AM PST
K. Badders says:
I forgot to mention if you get or have the live hub which has a 0ne terabyte hard drive you can transfer the videos to that drive if you want via connecting it to your computer using a USB cord or a cat 5 or 6 ethernet cable. I use to use a special Netgear Ethernet to WiFi connector however it stopped working very shortly after I bought it so it's probably better to use a Ethernet cable or USB instead.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (606 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $187.00