3.0 out of 5 stars Almost great., May 14, 2012
This review is from: Samsung UN46EH6000 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Just got this TV (46") set up yesterday and have been pretty pleased with it. I was excited to find a TV that presented a value proposition like this. The sacrifices I didn't mind making to save some $$$:

I don't need tons of inputs.

I don't need "Smart TV" functionality as I've always found standalone units (like my PS3) to be far more usable and far less frustrating then those embedded in the TV.

I don't care how deep the TV is. It's not going on my wall and I've got plenty of front to back room for the TV. The thin bezel looks great.

At first I was pretty much blown away by the picture quality, which shouldn't be surprising since I was upgrading from a 7 year old 32" 720p Olevia. But I did start to notice something that might ruin this TV for me. In very dark scenes (i.e. when Hulu Plus is loading), I've noticed the dreaded "banding" issue that plagued some of last year's Samsungs. Again, it's only in moments of pervasive darkness, but it is quite noticeable. Now I just have to decide if it's bad enough that it warrants dealing with the hassle of replacing the unit.

Update (06/01/12): I put in a warranty repair request with Samsung to see if the panel can be replaced. Basically, the local repair agency is ordering a replacement panel and will come out to inspect next week. At that point, I'll find out if I have impossible standards for an $850 TV or if the panel is legitimately defective. Either way, I'll update here after.

Update (06/04/12): I activated Comcast HD this weekend and made sure to watch some football replays on B1G Network. Unfortunately, it looked awful. Extremely cool picture quality to the point where whites were essentially just blue. I also noticed more motion issues (judder) regardless of the settings I used. These issues are noted in this review on televisioninfo dot com where the reviewer claims that the EH5000 actually performs significantly better when it comes to motion.

I have delayed the service appointment because I now have the LG 47LM6700 showing up tomorrow. The price came down again and now it's only $100 more. I've read great technical reviews on the picture quality so I'm going to compare the two. If the LG wins, which I'm fully expecting, I'll be taking back the Samsung.

Update (06/06/12): Well, the LG came yesterday and I set it up after work. I was immediately taken with the quality of the picture. In general, compared to the Samsung, the colors looked more accurate to me. As I watched during the evening in almost total darkness, I was really impressed by the utter lack of significant backlight bleeding or flashlighting of any sort. I'm no expert, but the picture looks great to me, and noticeably better than the Samsung. Of course, these TV's seem to be pretty different from set to set, but in this case, the choice is clear: the Samsung is going back today.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2012 7:32:33 PM PDT
Dave says:
What do you mean by "banding?" I haven't noticed anything unusual in very dark scenes on my set. It might be possible that yours is defective?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 8:35:42 AM PDT
Basically, in very dark scenes, you can see several faint vertical bands of light. It's not noticeable in most situations, but if you're watching a dark movie or TV show, it's pretty apparent. I actually bought it from Best Buy so I'll probably return it. Not looking forward to the hassle of breaking it down, repacking it, and bringing it back though. At the same time, $850 is too much to spend on something that isn't perfect, or at least as advertised.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 9:04:27 AM PDT
Dave says:
You can probably have Samsung come to your house and repair if you don't feel like packing it back up and brininging it back to the store.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 11:30:05 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 11:45:43 AM PDT
Yeah. I went in to look at it but they only had the 40" version up. The 46" was listed at $970 or something on the tag, but I asked for a price match because Sears had it listed at $849.99. They looked it up and it was actually in their system as $848. Had to pay sales tax, but I also financed it at 0% for 18 months. Comes out to the same price as the current Amazon price after sales tax.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 11:47:50 AM PDT
Thanks, I was looking at the 55" version and didn't realize I had switched to the 46" version. I thought that was quite the steal.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 8:39:52 AM PDT
Robert York says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 8:56:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 25, 2012 6:21:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 10:22:53 AM PDT
Robert York says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 10:28:42 AM PDT
What are you on about? What "varying components"? The review is for a Samsung UN46EH6000, the review shows up regardless of what screen size in the EH6000 "family" you are looking at. Everyone else seems to understand.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (296 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $510.00