Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Super Humanoids All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Masterpiece!, May 18, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Red Dead Redemption (Video Game)

Graphics- 9.5 Excellent details and textures, everything from the wool jackets, to the animal pelts you collect is highly detailed and gorgeous in HD. I did have a few hiccups and a freeze up during a cut scene, it happened one time, and could very well be my Xbox.

Sound- 10 The surround sound is top notch in Red Dead Revolver, from a steam engine barreling down the tracks, a cougar growling from the bushes, to the small things like birds chirping and wind blowing...the sound envelops you and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Gameplay- 10 Excellent control setup (GTA vets will be right at home) the only thing that took a bit of getting used to was riding a horse, its not bad, just a bit different than a car in terms of handling. Plenty of story/mission hours to waste away, followed by double the hours you'll spend just exploring and causing havoc (or helping the kind settlers).

Re-playability-9 Just going home and being able to run around the Wild West is enough for me, Rockstar included a solid story, but you can make your own as you go, helping damsels in distress, or massacring an entire settlement, its all up to you. This is gonna be a great game for a bit of relaxation...or some stress relief.

Multi-player- 9.5 I only played a bit of MP, since the rest of my "posse" hadn't received the game yet (or were struggling to get one at the store) The premise seems really interesting though, and the game of death match I played was a real nice change from the normal FPS death matches I've been playing lately. The open world MP game has always been something I wanted to see more of, and I'm sure once this game gets into more peoples hands its gonna be a real treat for the gaming world.

I've been a fan of the Grand Theft Auto series since it had a top down view, so when this was announced by Rockstar I was pretty interested.

The first thing I must say is Rockstar has really outdone themselves, this game takes GTA to the next level, while taking it back a hundred years on the time line. The first thing you notice is the vast area you get to call "home". The colors and sand blowing and swirling is truly beautiful eye candy. I hate to compare this game to GTA, but the undertones are all there.

I don't wanna share any of the story, and honestly that's icing on the cake for this game. The graphics are simply gorgeous, from the leather straps, and jackets, to the grizzly beards on the characters...all very well done. One thing I must say is not being in the big city setting is a breath of fresh air, no car horns blaring, police sirens at every corner, just the wide open Western times I thought I could taste the fresh air.

As far as game play goes, its hard to beat. You can do anything, and I mean anything (*Ill give a example at the end of this) The stores and shops are fantastic, and walking into a new town just makes you feel like a real gunslinger! Again I don't wanna get into the story to much, but the voice acting and cut scenes are almost Hollywood movie grade, its always nice when you feel for the characters, and this game does an outstanding job of delving into their history and stories!

As another reviewer said the game takes about 20 hours to play through the main story, however getting 100% completion will take you some extra time. The problem is playing through the game, no matter how hard I tried to go to the next mission, I ended up going way off track, killing a bear, saving a stage coach, or just getting a bunch of horses together to test a dynamite stick on. No matter what path you choose, your in for a surprise...Red Dead Redemption really delivers.

If you haven't picked this gem up yet I would highly suggest it, I said I'd give an example of doing whatever you want and here it is: Find some poor townsfolk, give em a round from your six shooter in the kneecap, hogtie them, drag them behind your horse to the nearest railroad...and leave em on the track, sit back and wait for the train to come through, nothing better to relieve the stress of those long days at work/school.

Red Dead Redemption far exceeds anything you've played before, pick up this game, and I'll see you behind the saloon at high noon!

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 20, 2010 8:36:44 PM PDT
Sojum says:
"taking it back a few hundred years"

Ha ha! ;) Somebody flunked history.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2010 4:25:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2010 6:02:25 PM PDT
Gregg S. says:
^^haha. Right. Doesn't it take place sometime around 1911?

edit: Yep, 1911. Says right on the back of the box.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2010 5:28:24 AM PDT
Matt J. Rose says:
Edited out the word "few" in my review, hope that helps you two sleep better at night.

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 4:41:05 PM PST
Let me just say that you nailed the game for me. I just left a comment on the review above yours where the guy didn't like the game as much as I (and you) seem to. I like everything about it and you are right about the surround sound - the first time I played it I could hear the crickets chirping behind me and my horse making noise in front of me.

I love doing the side stories and the fact that you can do one while you're in the middle of another story and then come right back to the whole thing. The fact that I ride my horse up into the hills and can hunt (shot a bird out of the sky and didn't even use Dead Eye to do it) and get involved with the story any way I want, is completely relaxing.

You did a good job of describing how I feel about this game and the only negative thing I can say - it is really minor - is that everything is a little expensive when you buy. I went to the movie theater - which is a great side treat in and of it self - and they charged like a dollar or it may even have been two. That would have been really expensive when you consider that in 1911 most people only made about $20.00 a I said, very minor. Also, I saw a wanted poster that said $10.00 dead or $20.00 alive. Back then, they would have paid about $500.00 to go after a dangerous bad guy...again, minor and I give darn near everything else in the game a 10.

Made me feel kind of like a Spaghetti Western with the music they play and the way when you pause the game they take the spot of the game you're at and make it look like an old western movie poster. I love this game. I just picked up Killzone 2 the other day and that is the only game so far that has been able to pull me away from RDR, but RDR will be a game I go back to over and over again. Just like with GTA - which I played over and over (sometimes just spending hours roaming the town) this game has things that you can do just to do them. You can, as you mentioned in your review, shoot someone, tie them up and throw them on the railroad track...that is of course if no one sees you; you get caught and they'll put a bounty on your head...I've already spent three days in jail...whoo hoo...get along `lil doggies.

Great review.