Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

2.0 out of 5 stars Total Makeover - No Similarities to 16, December 9, 2013
This review is from: Mizuno Women's Wave Rider 17 Running Shoe (Apparel)
As an avid runner and Mizuno user for years, I am disappointed personally in the new model. I have owned and "out-mileaged" 4 pair of Wave Riders including the 14, 15 and am now my third pair of 16's. There are so many new features in the 17 it feels like a totally different shoe. Some reviewers I read noted it being a soft shoe, I found the opposite actually, and where the previous models felt like they were hugging my foot and cushioned all around, I felt as if the shoe was flat and the only cushion was limited and directly under my foot. I didn't feel the stability of the 16 (though it is a neutral stability - I feel my foot is supported well in the previous models). In the 17 my foot actually felt "lost" in the shoe and gave more of the feeling of running on a hard, flat surface - no bounce, no spring and no support. There is less cloth on the upper and the shoe just didn't feel stable on my foot. There is less padding around the ankle - which many say is an improvement, I am neutral on that point.

Finally, there is a very visible change in the "curvature" of the shoe. Previous models of the Wave Rider had a noted rise in the toe of the shoe. With the new model, the entire sole of the shoe is flat. This is a significant change in the Wave Rider model.

Overall, I had high hopes for the Wave Rider 17, but am very disheartened. The moment I placed the shoe on my foot I felt the significant change, running in them confirmed it. The comfort, stability (albeit minimal) and "roll" of the shoe is gone. It is a totally different shoe, quite comparable to the Sayonara which I have also run in. I really have nothing good to say about the 17, except that its release has lowered the price of the previous model, which I will be stocking up on - no intention to purchase this new model.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2013 6:33:19 AM PST
W. McNally says:
I have similar reactions to the shoe. In particular, I find that the sole itself has a very hard, stiff feel and actually strikes the ground flatter and harder than in the previous models. You mention that the "roll" of the shoe is gone, and I couldn't agree more with that observation. I did buy the the 17's and I've run in them three times, so I have to keep them, but I will also be stocking up on the 16's. They got me through a marathon a few weeks ago, but I wouldn't want to run farther than a few miles in the new shoes. Thanks for your spot-on review.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 11:31:00 AM PDT
KJSmith says:
I agree. I ran in the 16 for the last year and loved them. When I tried the 17 last weekend, I told the salesman not to even lace them up. The feel was completely different, and I knew right away that I would not like running in them. The changes are so drastic that it's increduluos this shoe has the Wave Rider name. I left the store with the Saucony Ride 6, and I will be stocking up on the Mizuno Wave Rider 16 as well!

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 10:10:57 PM PDT
Kellyann says:
As soon as I tried the 17's I knew they were not like the 16s. They gave me blisters on the tops of my big toes because of the way the leather around the laces curves up. I also didn't like that the toe rise is not there. I immediately went out and bought all of the size 8.5 16's I could find.

Posted on May 2, 2014 6:02:54 PM PDT
CW says:
I have been wearing the wave riders for years. The models differed only slightly and overall was pretty happy with the shoe. HOWEVER, the 17 are a completely different shoe! and I am not at all happy. I am lucky that the place I bought them from has a wonderful return policy. I have been looking at other models altogether but I now will be looking at different brands and Mizuno has sorely decided to change what once was really a great pair of running shoes. Not a happy camper.Mizuno Women's Wave Rider 17 Running Shoe Don't bother buying! and I am having a hard time finding the other sizes I need in the styles that I do enjoy!

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 9:44:14 PM PST
That explains why Wave Rider 16 is still over $110 and Wave Rider 17 is 1/2 that ...around $64ish. THanks for the help. Just deleted WR 17 from my cart and will stock up on what little is left of the 16.

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 10:31:29 AM PDT
Has anyone tried the 18s yet? I can't find the 16s or anything older in my size, and I'm afraid to try a different brand. I tried various Asics and Nike after my first pair of Mizunos, and hated them. Had to go back, and now I'm a little nervous. My 16s have too much mileage on them and I have 2 races coming up soon. There aren't many store by me selling Mizuno, much less Wave Rider, so I probably can't try them before I buy. :( If the 18s are terrible too, can anyone suggest an alternative shoe?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›