3.0 out of 5 stars My honest review of Tiamat 7.1, June 30, 2012
This review is from: Razer Tiamat Over Ear 7.1 Surround Sound PC Gaming Headset (Personal Computers)
Tiamat 7.1 is the first real analog 7.1 surround sound gaming headset.

Before purchase this headset, I have been doing a lot of research and reading many reviews about it. Praised by many professional reviewers, I decided to made my purchase.

It turns out, I have to return it to Razer and get a refund. However, the headset is work as its advertised but there are several things you have to understand before you place your order.

The "7.1 analog surround sound" does work exceptionally but it has its disadvantage in many factors. Many games and movies in today's market "DOES NOT" have native 7.1 soundtrack. So problems occurred, you have to downgrade this headset software setup to 5.1.

I have a great HTOMEGA Claro plus sound card that recommended by Razer. I played Max Payne 3, Battlefield 3, Mass effect 3 and Diablo 3, etc with this headset. After hours of tweaking in both hardware and software sides, I realized these games does not support native 7.1 soundtrack but 5.1. If I set my system input and output as 8 channels (7.1) , the in-game sound will be faulty. You can hear 2 extra channels of echos of native 5.1 soundtrack. It results in-game sound will not be as solid as it should be but fuzzy and weird.

However, once you setup the system input and output as 5.1, everything shines. It sounds the way the game should be. Solid in-game sound effect and clear directional sound.

Secondly, packing too much speakers/ drivers in the headphones really hurt the overall sound quality. If you read the technical specification, you notices the Rear and side speakers are 20mms which results in-balance sound quality. You can hear the "clear" sound in the fronts, left and right channels (30mm drivers) while the rear and sides are fuzzy or muffle. Yet, these front channels also have their disadvantages too. The high frequency are too thin. Whenever you hear high pitch gun shots, explosions, music, and conversations, it might pierce your ear a little if you like to turn up the volume and be immerse with the game. It does not sound rich and warm enough. But it's certainly sound crisp, clear and treble.

Music Exmaple: When I was playing the music, "Wallflower" by Divalola, the girl sang the note too high. It really hurts my ears.

I have been waiting for these headphones for a very long time. With the price tag of $179.99, you can certainly buy a better audio quality headset than these. But it will not be true 5.1 or 7.1 gaming purpose headset. So it's like a trade off.

It also made me realized that why these gaming headset companies have a hard time to create something alike. The sound quality is simply not there by packing too drivers in it. Before I buy this headset, I thought that gun sounds, effect sounds does not need to sound as great as audiophile level. But it's not entirely true.

For me, Too Crisp and too treble is bad too. At the end, the taste of the sound quality is a personal taste. This headset might not be my cup of tea. But it certainly serve its purpose.

In additions, Tiamat 7.1 does have other great features, like the simple volume control unit that allows you to tweak the sound as you like. The Braided cable and the sturdy construct feels and looks great yet strong. By Razer tradition, the LED light is simply amazing.

Verdict: It is not my cup of tea. But with many unique and great features builds upon it, it is very hard to pass up. Before you purchase this headset, I suggest you to test it before you buy. And ask yourself these 2 questions, Are you are a hardcore internet competitive gamers (which means you really need the pin-point directional sound to help you win)? or, Are you a kind of gamers that enjoy overall quality of in-game music soundtrack, effects, and music (which means you need a better audio quality headset)?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 2, 2012 7:16:35 AM PDT
RiccoL says:
Thank you for your review, it gives me important information I haven't read elsewhere.
I have been long waiting for this headset as well, for solely the looks of its transparent earcups. I have been having hard time deciding whether to buy these just for the look.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:06:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2013 11:51:31 PM PST
Manloi says:
You're welcome. It's really depends on what you need. If you wanted to enjoy the overall gaming experience, like listening the background soundtrack, voice acting and solid (or rich) in-game effect sound. This headphones might disappointed you a bit. With the price of $179.99, You can actually buy a basic audiophile headphone instead.

The headphone really takes advantage of the real surround sound and let you pinpoint your enemies. The lack of audio quality is the problem in my opinion. The IGN review is the most honest one. The others were praising the audio quality which I am kind of disagree.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:55:00 PM PDT
RiccoL says:
I agree, I spend most of the time with headphone listening to music. Although I am not hardcore gamer and rarely play fps game, I am very into the aesthetic of gaming equipments, which is what lured me to this headset. Like you said, it is very hard to pass up this set.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:57:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 8:01:37 PM PDT
Manloi says:
Then, I believe that there is a big chance you might not like this headset or felt disappointed. Although it's hard to pass up, the purpose of your usage is more important. In your case, it's music. Maybe you can take a look at Ultrasone Hfi 2400 (S-logic tech), Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio headphone, even sennheiser HD555 or check headfi.org. You might find what you needed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 5:16:53 PM PDT
RiccoL says:
Thanks for the advice Manloi, I frequent headfi.org for headphone advice as well. I am recently using digizoid zo2 with v-moda's crossfade LP for enhanced bass. Your input is very reasonable, I think I might as well pass this one.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 9:11:22 PM PDT
Oh damn it... Very good review! Very good!

I was so hoping to buy it for FPS games. I am playing games like Battlefield 3 ALOT! Yet I also hoped that they will be able to have some sound-mode that will let me to listen my favorite soundtrack :(
I had Logitech G35, and I kind liked them on all fronts, but that surround sound was crap when you play the game.

So what can you suggest Manloi? For the balance of quality and utility of the sound system I mean! Astro A40?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 7:41:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2013 11:55:24 PM PST
Manloi says:
Thank you for your comment on my review, Valeriy. Before I give you any suggestions, I believe all surround sound headphones (whether simulate or true analogue) has their good and bad side. Good is surround sound good. Bad is sound is not solid enough.

I personally owned Logitech G930 (wireless G35) and turtle beach XP5 (good surround sound). I think they sounded okay but wireless headphones can get interference. I also owned Sennheiser PC 350 before. They sound great but they are not surround sound. They don't sound rich either.

It is very hard for me to recommend any headphones because sound and comfort is a matter of personal taste. I don't want to misguided you to purchase any headphones that might sound and feel bad to you.

I own an Astro Mixamp but not the headphone. You need to have both to work well. But the surround sound option on the mixamp will create this light and hollowness feel to it. I match it with my Ultrasone Hfi 2400. You can turn it off and the headphone will back to basic stereo. However, Astro A40 is expensive. They are for MLG (Major League Gaming, i think) proved. So they should sound great in game at lease (I assume and certain review indicated). With the surround sound option button, you can choose what you wanted to hear. The mixamp also allow you to play PC and console game. You can plug different cables into it.

But with the price of Astro A40, you can really buy a better audiophile headphones for music or soundtrack purpose. Right?

At the end, make sure you did your research (try them if you have a chance) and read reviews before you buy any headphones. It just a hassle to return it or sell them online. I am sorry that I really can't suggest any brands to you. But I think Astro A40 could be good. For cheaper price, you might wanna try Plantronics GameCom 780. Personally, I use Ultrasone Hfi2400 because its sound stage, richness and S-logic tech.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 9:29:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2012 9:31:49 PM PDT
P. A. Kooker says:

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 9:55:06 AM PST
jpnitro says:
can it be used as an xbox headset also

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 10:36:45 AM PST
Manloi says:
No, It can not be use as an xbox headset. The headset input cable is 5 x 3.5mm jacks and a USB port as power source mainly (I think).

System Requirements from their website.

PC with built-in 3.5mm audio jacks & 1 USB port
7.1 Surround Sound-enabled Sound Card (for 7.1 Mode)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›