1.0 out of 5 stars Auto-Standby "feature" won't allow a whole movie to play., January 14, 2012
This review is from: Sony BDP-S185 Blu-Ray Disc Player (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I wrote to Sony customer service: "Please tell me how to turn off the Automatic Power Off function on the BDP-S185. I cannot get through a whole movie."

Sony customer service wrote back: "I'm sorry that the Blu-ray Disc Player turns OFF by itself during playback. Please note that if any button on the Player or Remote Control is not pressed for more than 30 minutes, the Player automatically returns to standby mode. This is normal operation and cannot be disabled."

I wrote back to Sony: "Why would Sony design a movie player that cannot play movies? You are telling me that I must pick up the remote and push an arbitrary button for no good reason 3 to 4 times during any movie just to keep the player on. For one movie. Didn't anyone at Sony realize this was completely retarded during the design of a _Blu-ray movie player_?? Can someone fix this retarded problem with a software update?"

It hasn't gotten better from there.

I also wrote to Sony: "Additionally, while I am writing, I will tell you that the BDP-S185 clearly has a lot of problems. The extremely high frequency of "Content Error" or "Network Error" and "Retry" messages whenever it tries to move from a show to an ad break or back, as well as having to click on Hulu Plus 7 or more times just trying to get onto internet content when the player has just been turned back on is enough to make the player too frustrating to bother with. This thing is not wireless, it has been plugged directly into a great internet modem that nothing else has trouble with. I had considered subscribing to Netflix, but after just two days with Hulu Plus on this player I am going to cancel it because it is foolish to pay money for a service on a device this badly made. Sony should be ashamed to have their name on this.
I would like some kind of return information sent to me, even if it is just a trade-in for a different model."

** When this player does shut off on you-- and I think it was doing it at less than the 30 minutes of non-remote-pushing that Customer Service said it would take to hit Standby mode-- getting it back to where you were is such an extended headache of missing network connection and "Retry" and menus to go through that I end up saying, oh well, I didn't need to see that anyway. None of these shows or movies are worth going through all of that. **

ADDITION: Sony Customer Service would not give me any information about how to return or exchange the worthless player. (I had no receipt to take it to a store.) I kept emailing to ask where to send it, but they refused to ever answer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2012 6:35:56 PM PST
J. Ganoe says:
Does this happen when playing a DVD or streaming, or both?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 6:47:07 PM PST
J. Rose says:
It happened during my DVD too.
Sony customer support said in one email "I've forwarded your concern to our Sustaining Engineering(SE) team regarding making of a Firmware Update that adds the feature to stop the Player to enter Standby mode when playback of videos. If any Update is released it will be posted in our support website."

I continued to ask for a firm date on when they would fix this or information on exchange, and they then said "I understand that you wish to have an Firmware update that can resolve the playback issue on the Blu-ray Disc player. Currently there is no Firmware update for the Blu-ray Disc player to resolve this issue. However, I will forward your request to our Sustaining Engineering team, they might consider your request in a future update."

So Sony's answer is "IF" and "MIGHT". They also said "Please note that this model is not known by Sony to be defective in any way and we are not aware of such issue." Apparently sending complaints does not make them aware of issues, and it sounds like I'm stuck with this since Target apparently has policies to avoid taking returns.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 12:25:55 PM PST
J. Ganoe says:
I'm not sure if you tried to return it, but my experience with Target is that they'll take anything back within 90 days, so it might be worth a try.

I put a DVD in this afternoon (a music/concert DVD, not that it matters) and it's still playing beyond the 30 minutes (up to 45 minutes right now). Maybe the problem was addressed through an update already? Have you tried to update the firmware?

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 8:02:32 PM PST
Chris S says:
You have a defective player. It should be returned. I have one of these players, and while it has some annoying "turn off when done playing" settings, it does not shut off during playback.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 7:35:20 AM PST
Mark says:
The fact that you use the word "retarded" when describing the issue tells me that you are in general quite an ignorant person. That's all I needed to stop reading further and can't imagine somebody actually using that word in a product review.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 9:11:45 AM PST

[Deleted by the author on Feb 7, 2012 9:18:29 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 9:17:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2012 9:18:54 AM PST
J. Rose says:
The first thing the player did when I plugged it in was update the firmware. After the discussions with Sony Help I checked to see if I had the latest version or if I'd need to hunt down a manual update. But it was already at the latest. Then it started playing full movies from Hulu, and then it started shutting off after 9 minutes and cutting off the ends of TV shows from Hulu. It constantly loses the network for no reason and has to be re-setup over and over before getting any streaming play. I think Chris S is right, it's defective. I have asked Sony repeatedly for an exchange or return code and they will not answer. I gave up and ordered an LG BD670 and will find some way to get rid of this Sony junk one way or another.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 10:44:36 AM PST
I read your review before purchase this unit. I did not believe that Sony engineers designed a player that required the users press a button for playing continuously. I was correct. I tested before and after update firmware. It worked flawlessly. You simply had a bad unit.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (625 customer reviews)

Out of stock