5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the movie, don't understand all the hate, June 11, 2014
After seeing it in theaters with friends and a cheering crowd on opening night, i came home to see what the rest of the world thought and was confused by some of the rage people were haveing about it. The film was great but that is coming from a lifelong Goji fan. Don't believe what you hear the acting was good and Godzilla and the mutos are in the film for a collective 41 minutes. the music is perfect for the scenes really sets the mood. But some people just wanted a simple action movie with no characters or a subtle deep plot that some movies have.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 23, 2014 6:59:43 AM PDT
I agree completely, I've seen the movie twice now and share the confusion.

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 9:12:23 AM PDT
Sadly, I think it comes down to the lack of showings for these wonderful films on tv or in theaters. In the USA the rights are all over the place, so it's not as if someone can buy a Godzilla box set. Americans in general are antagonist towards these films. While in the UK Godzilla 1954 is a British Film Institute film and in Australia you can straight buy a Showa and Heisei themed box set it's a fight here to get recognition for these wonderful films.

This also means that people have no idea what they are watching, why main characters die, why the monsters are sympathetic, etc, etc... In many ways the negative reactions to this film should be a wakeup call for G-Fan to take steps to get these films more attention and viewers. Given the crap that gets shown on TV these days, we all could benefit from a yearly Toho marathon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2014 1:43:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2014 1:44:23 PM PDT
Absolutely! And, it has a lot to do with the fact that when they do show some kind of a marathon, all you get are the cut-up, dubbed versions in which most of the characterization and story have been cut out or changed. The reaction to this wonderful movie just confirms why Toho has never really given much thought into releasing the films over here in their ORIGINAL forms. It's kinda sad, but, typically American. ACTION, ACTION, ACTION is all that matters, anymore. SAD...

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 1:54:36 PM PDT
Agreed. No idea what was with all the hate behind the movie. People are just hard to please I guess...

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 6:24:45 PM PDT
The reason for the hate is that people now want the "monster" to be in the movie since minute one. They don't like build-ups to a great reveal anymore. There can't be a haunted house for haunted house sakes. There has to be a back story as to why the haunted house is haunted. Everything has to be shown. No one (I should assume around under 25) does not like to wait for anything to happen, they want it now. I thought Godzilla did a great thing by NOT showing up sooner than he did. All these people that complain about this movie probably liked the 1998 version with Zilla. I personally was looking for little throw-outs to longtime fans, like the aquarium scene that showed an open chrysalis and the name Mothra on the tank.

Posted on Jul 18, 2014 7:40:08 AM PDT
writerholic says:
I totally agree with you. I have been a lifelong fan of Godzilla and I found this movie to be my favorite Godzilla movie, and movie of the year. Sadly, as the movie ended and we were leaving, people, young people, were saying how much they hated it. I was dumbfounded. I couldn't understand what they hated. When I saw so many people online hated it I was baffled. Like others have said on here, I guess the days of the slow reveal are over. Attention spans are near zero with a lot of movie goers. I actually found it funny when they would cut us off from a Godzilla battle because I knew they were waiting for the good stuff near the end, like most Godzilla movies do. I loved Godzilla, I loved the actors and the plot, I loved the music and at times I felt extreme tension, like when they were diving down through the fighting. Most movies are not near the caliber of this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2014 7:58:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2014 7:59:00 AM PDT
It seems we're all on the same page. HA!
Anyway, my main concern is that Edwards will feel the pressure to give in and make the next one an all-action flick. I was really worried when I read that the director was a "fan" of Godzilla. I've seen that before and the particular movie ends up HORRIBLE. But, Edwards "gets it" and I hope he will continue along these lines. I was also impressed by the Godzilla design and I thought the gills were a nice touch. I thought the explanation of his and the other daikaiju's creation was very clever. The "warm up" for him firing his breath was amazing. I've replayed my download a LOT.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 12:55:39 PM PDT
i read somewhere (can't remember where of course) that Gareth Edwards promised the next one will have the same Spielberg-ian build-up to the monster.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2014 1:07:46 PM PDT
Sounds good to me. Well, for what it's worth, a friend of mine told me Edwards plans on having Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah in the next one. I'll be watchfully waiting.

Posted on Aug 2, 2014 7:58:18 AM PDT
ILoveTheUSA says:
I loved this movie, and I don't understand how people can hate it. I also rated it 5 stars but I am one of those people that also wanted Godzilla to have more screen time. I liked the build up throughout the movie, but I wanted the scenes at the end to be a little longer. When Godzilla used his atomic breath I was amazed how well done it was. Can't wait for the sequel, and I hope they keep the same style for every Godzilla movie from now on.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›