ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Jana Kramer belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Kids Halloween

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Impressed, October 18, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Island - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
After reading a lot of reviews and comments on Dead Island, it sounded like a bit of a let down. A few draw backs mentioned were the crappy graphics with textures and rendering times lagging, glitches, and weak story/plot. So I rented this game from gamefly because it at least looked like a worthy rental and the game play looked fun.

That being said, I was shocked. I was surprised at how immersive the game was according to zombie apocalyptic terms and fighting them. I mean, I feel bad for the makers of this game because of how much crap they're getting for it. I'm impressed by how realistic they made every weapon feel and the movement and physics of them. They actually make you feel every step you take, every swing you make, and accurately show where the weapon actually lands on the zombie. When you swing a weapon, you don't just swing it forward and keep on hacking away at zombies. You swing it forward, and with your arm coming down, you follow up with another swing from the other side of your body, and sometimes depending on if the zombie is close or far, you will recoil with different moves. This along with stamina make this realistic to me. I mean, for a zombie game, I've never played with such realism.

In my opinion, the graphics are great. The island is huge. It's not oblivion/skyrim huge, but you have the full sense of free roam and have a ton of quests and objectives filled with zombie killing to keep you occupied.

If I can warn people who are on the fence about this game, at least get into act 2. Although I loved the game from the start, I can completely understand why many people described the game as 'slow to start' but eventually it kicks in. At first, you simply get the thrill of killing zombies in unique realistic motions with an assortment of weapons to find. Then it starts getting serious where weapon upgrades, skill upgrades, and actually close attention to your combat is required. The harder it gets, the funner it gets. It never gets old slicing a zombies head off that is running at you full speed. Some of them, if given one chance, they can beat you to death and you can't recoil to stop them. That first swing counts. So everything you do is satisfying. Whether you fight one or two zombies... or ten... you'll feel the adrenaline of killing zombies. I've never played a game like this and honestly, I feel that it deserves more attention and play than gamers are giving it.

But hey this is just my opinion. I recommend people at least rent it, and play through to at least the middle of act II. You really start to realize how big the island is, and how much fun the gameplay can be. Though I was having a blast just beating a zombie to a pulp with a paddle haha. Seriously, this game has some really amazing and impressive mechanics that the makers should be given props for. I can honestly say that this is the best zombie game I've played to date. Just give it a chance and have fun!

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2011 11:34:51 AM PDT
D. Ellis says:
I completely agree with your review. I wrote my own review, hopefully it will be up soon. You are right though this game deserves more credit.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 1:11:00 PM PDT
Thanks a lot

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 6:15:55 AM PST
What I didn't like about the game was the fact there are no physics in the game, why is it that I drive my truck into a cardboard box and it just comes to a dead stop? Why is it that my character is getting stuck on objects ( like in the Ps2 era ) instead of running them over and having them go rolling around ( havok physics for example ) this game reminded me of a classic game, Also the game is totally made for COOP so if you are an offline player don't even bother getting the game

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 10:36:54 AM PST
J. Raymond says:
I STRONGLY disagree what you said if your playing solo don't bother. Playing offline is a different experince as it makes the game a lot more challenging and intense. The horror element is there playing alone while Coop plays like an action game like L4D. I have 40 + hours on offline mode and I have to say is one of the best games I played this generation period. The physics could have been better you are right, but a lot of games today still play by those rules and it doesn't bother me.

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 9:46:21 PM PST
T. Jones says:
I'm so glad to see that other people LIKE this game. I fell in love with it when I hit Act II, just because of the city. Ever since Resident Evil 2 I have wanted an open world zombie game set in a city, and here it is. Sure, you have to dwell on a beach first, but the beach is still very good! Gosh, It's been months and I still play this game!

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 4:40:29 AM PST
ghost says:
Well Great Review & I as a gaming newb thinks this game is perfect for someone like me that does not want to much to do beside kill zombies because I love zombie anything from movies/TV shows & now games. Yes I am in the beginner stages in gaming, but am enjoying it so far. But I have been a computer geek since I was a kid & people always ask me how could I not be a gamer & I am a computer geek. Well I just never got into it since my Atari 2600 back in the day, but rather late then never. This game looks so fun I am going to purchase it in a couple of days & I know I will like this. Thanks for such a honest wonderful review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 5:05:26 PM PDT
jml says:
The driving physics can be wonky, but the visceral combat, weapon upgrades and character leveling are all excellent. I rented the game to try it out and got hooked immediately. I've bought it and haven't been able to put it down yet, and I haven't even tried out the co-op mode yet! This is an excellent single player game in my opinion. Plus the developers have been very good at applying updates and bug fixes to the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 4:44:21 PM PDT
E Moore says:

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 1:26:53 PM PDT
Revo says:
Dead Island is is good game. One of the best zombie games I have ever played. This is the only zombie game since Resident Evil Code Veronica that actually make you fear the zombies and give you that fight of flight feel.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:32:38 PM PST
Hi, many of you keep stating its "the best zombie game you've ever played" yet you do not give a point of reference. what other zombie games have you played that Dead Island is better than? I noticed Raymond alluded to left 4 dead. is Dead Island like that only better? how so? (in comparison) thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›