4.0 out of 5 stars Works, but still sticks to poop. Washable!, October 26, 2008
This review is from: Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Pellet Refill, 3.5-Pound Packages (Pack of 6) (Grocery)
I got my 6-pack in a larger bag that was packed in a cardboard box about 2 weeks ago - no tears or rips in any of the packs. Thanks to the Amazon Subcription Service, cat litter is now delivered to my door with free shipping and I don't have to lug a 20lb bag from the store anymore.

Reason for the 4 stars: Poop still sticks to the pellets and I lose a few everytime I scoop, and it does not control poop odor. But that's ok, I just use an air freshener spray. I use 1.5 bags each time since 1 pack doesn't seem to be enough.

Anyway, the pellets are washable! I was curious - so I tried and the pellets weren't all that dirty anyway as I had already scooped the dirty (pop-covered) ones out. I poured the used litter into the bottom part of an old hooded litter box that had hot water and detergent in it (I use the hood for the Breeze litterbox!). I let it soak for about 20 mins whilst I washed and dried the Breeze litter box, changed the pee pad, and poured in a new bag of litter. I used an old kitchen/dish brush that has a long handle and sort of "scrubbed" the used pellets in the soapy water for a few minutes and then drained the water into the toilet bowl and then rinsed it out a number of times until the water was clear. Drained it as much as I could, and then left the box in the bathtub with the window open to air-dry it, and closed the tub screen so my cat wouldn't think he had an extra litter box in the bathtub! The pellets were clean and completely dry within 2-3 days. Kinda interesting that it can be washed and we're not generating more garbage to pollute the earth. Plus, for anyone wanting to save some money....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2009 8:34:30 PM PST

Posted on Jan 17, 2009 10:20:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2009 10:20:47 AM PST

Posted on Feb 12, 2009 11:35:20 AM PST
K. L. Brush says:
Why so judgmental? (To the other reviewers) I think this was an interesting experiment. Anything which cuts down on waste which is tainting our Earth is worth considering...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2009 11:27:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2009 11:30:21 PM PDT
Sharron K. says:
And what? Cleaning a clay litter box wasn't completely gross too? I know I thought it was! This is the best system I have ever tried. No smell, and very little tracking, and easy to use, and cleaner than the clay system. I would never want to go back to the clay system, and clay litter systems are clogging up all the landfills. The idea of washing the pellets is a GOOD idea! Has no one else noticed that WalMart has stopped carrying this system?? It's becoming harder to get! Yeah, gross, but so was cleaning the old system's pan, and what happens when Petco stops carying this system too? So use gloves! I mean, who cares, as long as it works.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2009 3:56:54 PM PDT
Yeah, both my local Target and Wal-Mart stores stopped carrying the system. Now I have to buy in super-bulk from Amazon =(

Posted on Nov 12, 2009 7:06:12 AM PST
Ace says:
I like the idead of washing the pellets - less garbage to pollute the earth.

Only thing I question is the use of the air freshener. I think the cats would be more sensitive to those chemical fragrances than us, since the spray mist and droplets will sink down to and settle onto the floor level as it's being sprayed.

Posted on Feb 1, 2010 9:34:29 AM PST
Thank you for posting this! The first thing I thought when I saw this system was if you could wash the pellets a few times before replacing them. THANKS!

Posted on May 6, 2010 4:49:33 AM PDT
Alces says:
I love this system. I have found a way to make it "sustainable". I bought some Cloth Diapers from Green Mountain Diapers (toddler size) and have found that Hydrogen Peroxide (soak for 1-2 hours) after a quick scrub with a light soap, rinse well and air dry in mesh bag (outside) works amazingly well to clean the pellets. So far, it's working great. The pellets are made of a substance very closely related to concrete and they are not biodegradable so I thought it was worthwhile to explore washing them. The diapers have to be changed a little more frequently but then I can just wash and re-use them. For those of you with standing peers like mine, you can cut the bottom out of a hooded litter box and just place it on top of the Breeze. My cats took to it right away for peeing (literally 2 minutes after assembling it). I also had to add another bag of pellets to get my babies to poop in it. I kept a regular box for about 3 weeks for pooping and then just took it away and both cats are doing everything in the Breeze. I am so excited that I don't have to buy or lug the clay litter anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2010 3:51:34 PM PDT
MaggieToo9 says:
Kmart & Amazon

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2010 3:51:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2010 3:53:42 PM PDT
MaggieToo9 says:
Kmart & Amazon have cheapest pellets and pads.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›