2.0 out of 5 stars A misfire for Sennheiser, September 26, 2010
This review is from: Sennheiser PX 100-II On Ear Miniheadphone (Black) (Electronics)
Let me preface this review by stating that I am a huge Sennheiser fan and they are my favorite headphone manufacturer. That said, I am disappointed with these phones. I believe Sennheiser has managed to change nearly everything for the worse compared to the original PX100. Here's why--

--sonically, I find them worse compared to the original--they sound slow, congested and have an accentuated upper-bass. I found the original PX100 to be the most detailed and balanced portable headphones available. With the PX100-II the detail is still there, however, it's no longer as natural sounding or as exciting. The sound slow and have an overly thick texture. The tonal character is a little overly warm as well, no surprise given the boosted upper-bass.
--the single-sided cord is more of a weakness than a strength. Most other portable headphones have cables going to both earcups which makes the headphone cord lay in the middle of your torso and keeps the cord from brushing your arms and hands when walking/running. However, the single cord of the PX100-II orientates the cord overtly to the left. This can cause problems if you keep your MP3 player in your left pant's pocket (as I do). Unless I route the cord under my shirt/coat or use some kind of clip to keep it in the center of my body and find that it's continously getting in the way when I walk or run.
--the cord is overly textured causing it to stick to your skin. This can cause issues when you need to reach into your pocket for your MP3 player and the cord sticks to your fingers instead of allowing them to brush past.
--the PX100-II are over-built. Compared to the original the headband is thicker (both in width and depth). The points where the headband connects to the earpads has also been strengthened (and the headband now sides further away from the earpads on the right and left). Because of this beefing up the PX100-II is now, however slightly, more bulky and heavy than the orignal. And I can't help to ask; to what end? I've never heard of anyone who complained that the original (or other competing headphones, like the PortaPros) were overly weak and flimsy. Now, due to the thicker headband the phones are less comfortable to lay around your neck when not in use and are now even more uncomfortable to try and slip underneath a hat or a beanie. The original was robust enough. Now there is extra weight and size with no benefit.
--they didn't fix the serious flaw of the orignal PX100. Look at the reviews of the origina PX100. The one thing, I will repeat ONE THING, that people consistently complained about was the weak 1/8 jack used to plug the phones into the source. Over time stress caused the cord to seperate from the plug and sound to cut out in one or both channels. Senneheiser did nothing to correct this problem with the PX100-II. The plug is exactly the same and people are already starting to experience this problem with the PX100-II. Given that they went through the trouble of strengthening the headband (needlessly so) why was no attention paid here? That's either negligence or incompetence (sorry for the harsh words but come on...)

Really, there is nothing that I like about the PX100-II more or even as much as the original PX100. It wouldn't be such a big deal if the original PX100 was still available but it has been discontinued. I recommend thinking twice about purchasing these headphones and that's something I rarely say when it comes to Senneheiser.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2010 5:51:51 AM PST
Bob Areddy says:
I have the original and looking to get a 2nd pair. The problems I've read about the original don't involve the jack, but the connecting at the ear piece. Putting both channels in 1 wire instead of separating them would strengthen that connection a bit.

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 3:25:46 PM PST
SMillerpay says:
I agree with the original post. I am on my second set of PX-100's. Has been almost daily use, I walk to work every day and listen to books on tape. The first set failed about a year and a half ago. The rubber pulled away from where it goes to the jack and left the copper wires exposed, and eventually they separated. The new set is doing the same thing. Today I actually got out the black electrical tape and am trying to reinforce it so it will last a while longer. The only reason I found this post was because I was thinking it might be time to get another set. I agree with the other poster in the review section who thinks the average life is about 2 years. Given serious use, that's about it.

Actually, I think what happens is that the cord gets stressed at the jack because of folding them up and putting them into the plastic carrying box -- when you make that last little curl to tuck in the jack, it's bent almost 180 degrees, and over time I think the rubber is pulling away. I am hoping the electrical tape works, plus never putting them into the case anymore. Thing is, when I went to check on getting a new set, I found out that the few people that still have them want $85! Ouch, these things are not worth that much given that they break after a while! Even the new series cost almost $70! For many years these headphones only cost $45 or less. And the reviews on the new series are very mixed regarding the sound quality. It seems typical to go after the boomy base mass market and leave the more nuanced listeners behind.

Although I like them a lot, and I've been a Sennheiser fan for quite some time, I will definitely check out the competition for my next set. (Not to mention that Sennheiser did not honor the rebate when I bought the second set -- despite having kept photocopies of every piece of documentation in the original submission, and sending that back to them -- but of course that would be a different story.)

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 4:35:35 PM PDT
J.0 says:
I came across this review because I was going to write my own that said basically exactly the same things. I also keep my mp3 player in my left pocket, and hadn't really noticed any problems w/ the left hand cord, but having read this, I do remember that it often got caught on things because of its placement. Maybe this is why (given the lack of attention paid to the jack as Patrick pointed out) I have noticed that the jack of the PX100-IIs has shorted out far more often than I remember historically with the original PX100s (which I used continuously for upwards of 10 years until the IIs came out). I still think that the PX-100IIs have great sound quality compared to other headphones of comparable price, but I doubt this is the case anymore considering the increase in price that comes with the IIs relative to what you used to be able to get the originals for. Thank you Patrick for putting my concerns in a concise package so I don't have to.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 4:58:55 PM PST
G. Magno says:
As a pro musician for over 40 years, I have to agree the original PX100 are my choice. I still cherish them today after much use over three years. I've tried many brands and for the portability, sound reproduction throughout the entire spectrum and quality, they're pretty hard to beat. I'm sticking with mine until and if they fall apart, which should be many years down the road. People have complained that they are fragile and break. If you're heavy handed, that's a good possibility, but I must say that after three years' usage, mine are as good as they day I bought them, simply because I take care of them. I rest my case....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 5:49:53 AM PST
Samuel Lee says:
use superglue (maybe Gorilla brand) to repair the breaks in the rubber that exposes the very thin copper wire. too bad, they have discontinued the PX-100's who's only weakness was the extremely thin cords. I am on my 2nd set and pretty much abuse them by carrying them around in my jacket up here in Canada where I work.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 9:34:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 9:35:59 AM PST
T. Jackson says:
To be fair the 2's need an extensive break in period I'm thinking over 20 hours of continuous use after which they sound considerably better some even recommend up to 80 hours before critical listening.

Posted on May 25, 2012 2:58:58 PM PDT
C. Evert says:
I always found the PortaPros to be slightly more present and detailed than the original PX-100s at any rate... so you can still go that route. I wasn't impressed with my PX-100's, relatively speaking - I was looking forward to trying these PX-100-II's since they won a comparison in a review with the Porta-Pros, but your review is giving me hesitation.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 5:14:48 PM PDT
Katun says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 9:22:55 AM PDT
I use Shoe Goo to reinforce wire-to-connector joints on all kinds of adapters, headphones, USB cables, etc. I do this even before there's a problem. I get many years out of these products since I began doing that. In fact, none of them has failed yet. If you look, you can see the little glob of Shoe Goo I've put on each of these products. Do I care about that? Nope. The Shoe Goo is permanent. Never wears out or off.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 4:26:08 PM PDT
CADCAM says:
I agree, I also have the original PX100 and the Porta Pro and 9 times out of ten I reach for the Porta Pro. I believe they more musical and lively than the Senn's. I would never bother with the PX100 II...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (389 customer reviews)

$89.95 $49.95