Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

2.0 out of 5 stars A must-have, but very poorly made...buy more than one, April 21, 2007
This review is from: Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter (Single) (Kitchen)
Unfortunately you really need one of these things to use your Keurig properly unless you are dedicated to spending lots of money and killing the environment with K-cups. These things last us about 2-3 months max. They are so poorly made that they seem designed to break after a certain time period. I have gone through three so far. The plastic latches that hold the top on just break off and crumble away, no matter how carefully you screw on the lid. Then your coffee spills over the sides when you brew it. However the cost of continuously replacing these things is likely offset by the savings of not using k-cups which are currently overpriced.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 90 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 19, 2007 4:28:24 PM PDT
I totally agree. I have gone through 5 and am very frustrated with Keurig over this.

Posted on Nov 26, 2007 3:10:46 PM PST

Posted on Nov 30, 2007 7:38:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2007 7:39:07 AM PST
G. Sheremeta says:
This happens for me as well. Quite annoying. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong -- too tight, not tight enough, too much coffee, accidentally leaving the grounds in there...

Posted on Dec 30, 2007 9:17:23 AM PST
J. Hodsdon says:
I've never used one of the reusable K-cups, but I wonder if there are aftermarket versions available that hold up better. In fact, that's what I expected to find when I Googled "reusable k-cup" - a bunch of aftermarket offerings. Has anyone seen any?

Posted on Jan 20, 2008 8:45:44 AM PST
lakedaisy says:
Totally agree with Adam. Over past 3 months I purchasd four my k cups. Keuring has replaced all 4, but told me they are not replacing any more. I now have a total of 8 broken/unusable my k cups. The unfunny thing is when I spoke with the Keurig representative, she asked if I use the my k cup everyday. Yes, I do. That's the problem she stated - we don't make our accessories to be used everyday. Explained that wasn't an acceptable answer. Asked where on the product box does it state that the product can't be used daily? It's not. Couldn't find anywhere in the instructions that stated that I could only use it every other day, or maybe every third day. Can't believe a Keurig representative actually told me that. And they charge $15 for this poorly made product.

I emailed their contact person, John Whoriskey, Vice President, General Manager At Home Division. He never replied. It's a good thing that Bed, Bath and Beyond has a better return policy than the actual manufacturer of the product.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2008 5:21:28 PM PST
A. Thomas says:
I was about to blame my sister in law, and my wife for being neglectful with these things! I'm glad I kept my mouth shut!! As others have stated, the plastic tabs that secure the lid of this item tend to crumble away on their own. I just picked 2 shards out of the sink disposal last night. A bit ironic; the plastic mold crumbles under normal use, yet I was unable to pulverize the tiny shards with a 3/4 horsepower In-sink-erator.

If anyone finds a good substitute, please come back and post!!

I guess I should balance this comment by saying that when they work well when they are intact.

My 2 cents...

Posted on Feb 11, 2008 11:16:28 AM PST
Penny White says:
Thank you for your sage advice on saving the environment from the evils of recyclable plastics... :(

At any rate, I do agree on the build quality. After a while, they don't seal properly and coffee starts coming out into the brew or clogging the valves.

Posted on Feb 24, 2008 8:33:34 AM PST
Katie C. Ham says:
i keep bringing mine back to bed bath and beyond. as a major retailer of this coffee maker im hoping that if ppl keep doing that they will have the leverage to get keurig to use a stronger plastic in for the my k cup!! my parents have also gone through several and have returned to bed bath and beyond. they tell us that we are the only ones with this issue, so im glad to see that we arent crazy!

Posted on Mar 23, 2008 3:43:31 AM PDT
R. Ford says:
I broke one too, but i found that if you do not keep the lip of the filter free from coffee grinds you are crushing coffee between the base unit and the screw on top. This seems to be what broke the tabs off. Also rinse the top off after each use to remove any coffee grinds. The top screws of very smooth and gently when it is empty, it should feel the same when filled with coffee.

Posted on Mar 25, 2008 11:26:55 AM PDT
I had the same problem and just returned the whole machine to Costco - Too bad, cause I love the coffee maker. But I refuse to replace these things all the time... They should be built to withstand the heat of the water - Apparently they did not test this piece of equipment fully... What happens is the heat of the water is melting the base part at the top so that the top cannot latch on....
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›