5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice scope, but please read about customer service., January 23, 2007
This review is from: Celestron NexStar 8 SE Telescope (Electronics)
The five stars represent my opinion about the scope. I'm a novice at astronomy, so I can't really make any comparisons. I can tell you, however, that this scope does everything I've ever read about it. I pulled it out of the box and put it together and it went to work just the way the book said. I've done some solar viewing and a little digital astrophotography. My major purpose for this scope is in the area of deep-sky astrophotography without spending multiple thousands of bucks. It may be a little overkill for a novice like myself, but I wanted a scope that I wouldn't outgrow, and one that is easy to accessorize. The only thing I can nit-pick on this scope is the motor drives on the mount. They work fine, but they make a little too much noise, and the sound indicates to me that the gear train is not high quality components. It does seem to run very smooth, though! And accurate, every time! If YOU take the time to accurately set it up and aim it, then IT will put what ever you ask for right in the middle of your field of view. The battery holder is a little tight on the 2000mah NiMH AA batteries that I bought for it, but since I plan to use the AC adapter I bought for it, that's not really a big problem. I wish Celestron had designed the bubble-level INTO the base of the mount rather than just leave it loose for the user to install with the double stick tape on it's bottom. I bought a larger level from an RV store and epoxied it to the top of the battery cover. It seems to be very accurate and my alignment seems to work every time. I recommend a good variety of eyepiece filters, a solar filter for the main aperture, a 45deg. upright diagonal, and several eyepieces to cover the range from about 4mm to 32mm. Zhumell and Celestron both offer good filter/eyepiece sets at very good prices here on Amazon. For the astrophotographer, there's a whole world of accessories to chose from for this scope, and this is where I learned just how bad Celestron's customer support is! A lot of accessories out there state they are compatible with the Celestron C8 and 8i scopes, but this 8SE is so new that it isn't mentioned very often. I was concerned about the differences in the three 8" scopes, so I submitted an inquiry to Celestron's customer support, asking for a description of the differences in the C8, 8i and the new 8SE scopes. After four days they closed my ticket without answering my questions, so I submitted another request. After 14 days there was no response. I called them and the fellow I talked to had to put me on hold three times for about ten minutes each while he went to ask someone for answers. Shouldn't they man the tech-support phones with people that know the differences in their own products? All I was asking is if the visual back from a C8 will fit the 8i and 8SE, and if the solar filters for a C8 will fit the 8SE. He didn't know! I just hope my scope doesn't break because their tech support is less than helpfull. [...]. Just don't expect Celestron to be there for you without a lot of prodding.
By the way, for anyone considering this scope, the best info I've found is that all of the eyepiece accessories that will fit the rear cell of the C8 will also fit the 8i and the newer 8SE. The Celestron tech had to go actually test fit a visual back from the C8 to an 8SE to find out! He did say that any filters for the main aperture (the big end where light enters) of the C8 will not fit the 8i or 8SE! There was a significant dimension change made there.
I hope this helps eliminate the frustration I had in selecting and buying any accessories that anyone buying this scope may have. Happy star-gazing!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2007 3:44:25 PM PST
I like your idea f the bubble level. There are quite a nimber of bubble levels at McMaster-Carr. There are sensitivities from 10 to 200. What works for this scope, The bubble ghat comes with the scope is flimsy and hard to see. Celestron couldn't help and the one with the scope is a 3M product. Considering the vastness of #M, that level info is going to be a project if I have to chase it down at 3m. E. Brull e.brull@verizon.net A guiding light would be nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 9:36:22 PM PDT
I work at 3M. We don't make levels, but we make double-sided sticky tape used by lots of companies. I think you read "3M" on the tape rather than on the level itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2011 10:24:02 AM PDT

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 9:45:01 AM PDT
Hey Bunch, Do you remember how many Eye Pieces, 2x inch Barlows, Hard Case etc. you received with it when you got it new? I got one used, so I don't know what I should get. Thank you.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 8:40:17 PM PDT
SeaDog EMC says:
Hello all, I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the 8SE's. I read the above comment about Celestron customer support and figured I'd throw in my two cents. I have a 90SLT now, and love it. When I first got the scope, the hand set needed flashed as it had the wrong version on it. No biggie, but the fellow on the line was more than helpful. He may have not had the software "on hand", but he knew where to find it, and bent over backwards to help me. I have full confidence in Celestron's customer support, and will be purchasing the 8SE very soon. In fact, he offered for me to send the handset I had back and replace it. I told him that wasn't needed, I could just flash it. They may not know everything "right away", but they will go out of their way to make sure you have the information you need. I was pretty impressed by Celestron's customer support myself. I'm sorry the above fellow had issues, but my experience with Celestron's CS is one of the reasons I will be buying Celestron again.

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 10:14:55 PM PDT
It convinceived me enough not to purchase the Celestron brand and to do more research prior to making my final decision to purchase. Thank you for your input, it certainly gave me some information to look into before I make my decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2013 9:35:43 AM PDT
john sheehan says:
No you dont...there is no such thing...it was from the tape that comes with the scope!

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 1:45:45 PM PST
J. Guerra says:
I was planning on buying this scope, but after reading about the poor tech support, I have cancelled my plan.

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 5:29:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2014 5:31:45 PM PDT
Casper says:
Re: eyepiece recommendations: "several eyepieces to cover the range from about 4mm to 32mm"
FWIW a 5mm eyepiece is really pushing it for this scope. You'll hardly ever have a chance to effectively use an eyepiece shorter than 9-10mm. visit cloudy nights dot com or astronomy dot net for the best advice on all aspects of this or most any other scope. If you do ever have to send the scope in for service, Celestron is one of the best. Don't let the call center staff's lack of knowledge discourage you. The folks answering the phone aren't as well trained. In today's bottom-price market, it's not realistic to expect that level of knowledge from the call centers. You'll be much better off working with a knowledgeable retailer or visit the web sites listed above.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2014 9:11:47 AM PDT
Mr. Black says:
Thanks for the website info. For clarification, the astronomy.net site is http://astronomy.net. If you use www.astronomy.net, you get Astronomy Magazine with an unrelenting assault of purchasing prompts. Astronomy.net is a collection of websites for anything related to astronomy. www.cloudynights.com is an excellent resource for articles, forums, equipment, and just about everything astronomy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (65 customer reviews)

$1,199.00