5.0 out of 5 stars excellent memory for a MBP 2011 i5 13', March 25, 2011
This review is from: Corsair 8GB (2x 4GB) 1333mhz PC3-10666 204-pin DDR3 SODIMM Laptop Memory Kit CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9 (Personal Computers)
This memory is great for my new MBP 2011, i5 13", also when Mac OS detects 8 Gb of memory, the graphic memory increases up to 512 Mb (from the original 384 Mb w/ the integrated intel hd3000 chip)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 13, 2011 7:26:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2011 8:49:11 PM PDT
Craig Case says:
I was wondering if you game at all? I purchased a 2011 Macbook Pro 2.7ghz core i7 and was wondering if you noticed a speed increase at all after installing the RAM. It's interesting that the system seems to be allocating more VRAM (512mb instead of 384mb) to the graphics card after the install. I am going to install 8gb tomorrow and see.

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 8:07:56 AM PDT
T. Morgan says:
No, this memory is NOT great for the MBP 2011, i5 13". I bought this RAM based on your review, and I have had nothing but freezes since I installed it. At this time, Corsair does not recommend you use this ram in this model MacBook Pro. Of course I found this out after researching why my MBP is crashing and freezing since installing this ram. I will say though, that the freezes started about two hours after I installed these two 4GB sticks. Up until the freezes started, the system worked great with 8GB of ram, and Windows 7 in Parallels was extremely snappy. I was very happy with the performance up until the freezes, so I am going to return this Corsair RAM and see what OWC has to offer. Note: I did run Rember (memtest) for a few loops and no errors were found with this RAM. It is a totally random problem. Save yourself the frustration and go with RAM from a vendor that actually supports the MacBook Pro 13" 2011 i5. This is no fault of Corsair.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 10:08:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 30, 2011 10:09:13 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 7:12:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2011 7:13:02 PM PDT
Rocky Smith says:
J. H. L. -- can you or somebody please update on how well 8GB of this RAM works on a 2011 MBP?

I have one and am considering this upgrade. Please let me know, thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 7:23:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2011 3:55:34 PM PDT
f1ndforty says:
Hey, thanks for validating my concerns. I also bought this memory on a whim just based on this kid's review. I just saw the review saying that he was using it with a MBP 2011 and I was like ok cool. I never do that, I usually research and compare whatever I'm buying with every other product available, ensuring I've made a sound decision.

Anyway, I haven't experienced any freezes, but, the moment I booted it for the first time, I opened up a couple of windows and dragged them around in circles really fast to see if it would lag or skip around, and it did. Note: this is only for a very tiny duration of time, milliseconds, however, it's a noticeable thing when going from the stock configuration to this. The stock-installed SAMSUNG 4GB DDR3 RAM worked a lot better, I didn't experience any of this 'lag', if that's what you want to call it. Even as I was writing this post, I went to delete a typo a couple of times, and it would lag when i was backspacing, and instead of it smoothly erasing each letter, it kind of just deleted the word in its entirety, with a sort of lag variant associated with it.

The above aforementioned issues bothered me enough to check Amazon again to verify that I did in fact read a positive review in regards to this Corsair memory. Now that I found Patrick's conflicting comments with this reviewer's account of the product/experience, I feel better because I'm also experiencing some problems, albeit not as extreme as Patrick's (thankfully). Nonetheless, I'm not too happy about this purchase.

I think I'm going to pop the stock Samsung 2GB sticks that came with this MPB back into it because I was happier with the performance with that configuration. These little 'lag snaps' I'm experiencing when dragging windows/icons around are enough to turn me off and revert back to my original stock configuration. So to all of those reading this considering upgrading to this particular memory, do yourself a favor and go with a more reputable company that is known to support mac--like Crucial. Like Patrick said, it's not Corsair's fault, necessarily; it's just not a supported product so you are taking your chances if you want to go with it despite the company's lack of support for the item.

If you want to be really particular, here is the (alleged) stock OEM Samsung memory (8GB) that comes with the 2011 MBP's:

Certified Apple Samsung 8GB MacBook Pro 2X4GB DDR3-1333 SODIMM 1333MHz RAM Memory Kit. 2 Pieces 4GB 204 pin 256x72 1.8v PC3-10600 for 2011 2.0 2.2 2.3 and 2.7GHz MacBookPro8,1 MacBookPro8,2 MacBookPro8,3 MC700LL/A MC724LL/A MC21LL/A MC723LL/A MC725LL/A i5 i7 models. Mac RAM Direct is a Tier One Supplier to NASA! Lifetime Warranty vs Apple's 1 year

It's more expensive, but, if you want reliability, this is supposedly the same exact OEM memory that is in your MBP when you purchase it. I know it comes with Samsung RAM, so, it can't be a bad choice.

Here is another Samsung memory variant, 8GB, but it doesn't have the "OFFICIAL APPLE MEMORY" stamp on it. As a result, it is cheaper:

Samsung 2x4 GB PC3-10600 1333Mbps DDR3 Very Low Profile 40nm class SODIMM - MV-3T4G4D/US

Finally, here is the ever-so-reliable Crucial memory, most mac users opt for Crucial when going for memory upgrades, it has a long history of reliability:

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1333 MT/s (PC3-10600) CL9 SODIMM 204-Pin Notebook Memory Modules CT2KIT51264BC1339

The crucial memory is the cheapest, but you really can't go wrong with any of the above selections. If I were shopping for new memory (which I am), I'd pick from one of those three choices (which I am), lol, so, there you go people, hope this helps ^_^

Update:
The problems with the Corsair memory I mentioned above aren't really happening anymore, the glitches have certainly minimized to the point of almost being non-existent...almost. I just wanted to clarify, there isn't anything terribly wrong with this memory, it's 'stable' I suppose, but it has accompanying glitches to its performance that are undesirable.

I'm still going to swap it for one of the Samsung memory modules I listed above, just for peace of mind. I also wouldn't really trust the Corsair's stability when playing games, due to the fact that it is not compatible with the 2011 MBP's (someone above said that even Corsair doesn't recommend using this particular memory in a MBP). I can imagine there would be more glitches present when playing games and they probably wouldn't run as smoothly as they should. You'd probably get really choppy frame rates or something like that. It would most likely affect your performance, especially with FPS games.

2nd Update: 09/24/2011
----------------------------------
I am no longer experiencing any issues with the Corsair memory. I ran 1 loop of Rember, a couple of hours later the system just start running better for whatever reason, maybe the RAM just needed a little warming up. Who knows, I don't care, all I know is I have a stable system now. I just installed a Samsung 470 Series SSD 128GB a couple of hours ago to celebrate and the system is rock-solid.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 9:42:02 AM PDT
RichieRich says:
The same thing is happening to me. Ugh. Ran memtest as well with no errors. Apple store rep recommended going back to stock RAM until I figure out what's going on with the RAM. I'll have to agree with Patrick Gorman and say this this memory is NOT great for the MBP 2011 i5 13". I was running great for 1 week, but then started getting daily kernel panics (the black screen that says 'Restart required'), no matter what I was doing. It wasn't even necessarily CPU intensive or RAM intensive activities. Simple web browsing could cause it. Steer clear of this if you have an MBP 2011 i5 13".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 7:32:51 AM PST
Dan says:
bought my MBP 13'' 2011 beginning of the yearly back to school program, brought this ram 1 week after that purchase and to this day not a hitch. I run VMWare Fusion with Win7 on OSX and also do some FCP with 1080p files on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 9:03:40 AM PDT
jortiz12885 says:
this ram didnt respond well to my macboook pro 2011 13" core i7 model, it would detect the ram, but after a few days of use it will crash, to make the macbook run again i would have to take the ram in and out and ran the memtest a few times one occassion found issues another occassion no errors, but still it will work for a few days and after it will just crash. Took it to the macbook store and the memory is not compatible.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›