5.0 out of 5 stars Cultural Snapshot 2011, July 13, 2011
This review is from: Of Thee I Zing: America's Cultural Decline from Muffin Tops to Body Shots (Kindle Edition)
I look forward to the day that none of what Laura describes in her book makes sense...skinny lattes, skinny jeans, high tech strollers with cup holders, parents who let kids express themselves with bad behavior (the type I would have been spanked for if I even thought about stepping out of line back in the day), lack of manners, the inability to distinguish between personal and public information, and our increasingly connected / disconnected youth. When I think about it, my kids were lucky their mid-80's stroller had brakes, and the wheels, as I recall, only went forward or back; I had to pop a wheelie to make a turn or correct course...and my hand was my cup holder.

It's important to step back and laugh at ourselves once in a while...of course I write this on my iPad as I'm considering taking my son's dog (oops, animal companion), who is a semi-permanent house guest (my son living elsewhere), over to PetSmart for a nail trimming, and wondering if I should sign her up for a supervised play date for a few extra bucks...all on my dime. Time to reset my priorities, and just take her for a walk. No mention of boomerang pets in 'Of Thee I Zing'; I guess I'm on the cutting edge of something here....

Life lessons, a snapshot of life in 2011, and an etiquette book wrapped in satire; if you don't find yourself on at least one page, you might want to pass the book to a friend and get their thoughts. Funny and thought provoking to the last page, and well worth a weekend read.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 14, 2011 12:39:02 PM PDT
Anna says:
BTW - this book is not a political book at all. It does, however, touch on some of the bad behavior of congregants Laura has witnessed during Mass...which is hardly controversial. Actually, it's George Carlin minus the cursing...so don't listen to the one- two-star reviewers. The closest they got to this book is probably sticking their gum in the pages as they walked towards the cashier to buy their umpteenth copy of 'Audacity of Hope.'

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 8:25:02 AM PST
Donna Hill says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 5:41:50 PM PST
R. Haggard says:
You mean to say you've never encountered one of these monster high tech strollers navigating the aisles of some crowded store? We had an umbrella stroller, high tech because it had a little sling underneath to hold a few of the necessities. No cup holders because we didn't need to drink and stroll.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 9:17:46 AM PDT
Ace Darren says:
It is literally the opposite of George Carlin. Ingraham condemns and ridicules secularists and atheists while praising the Catholics who act up to her standards. Not to mention her stance that women do not deserve equal rights. Judging by your "Audacity of Hope" comment, though, it is obvious you are just another Fox News fan who can't grasp hatred and bigotry when you see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2013 6:27:40 AM PDT
Who says "umpteenth"? Oh yeah, my grandmother

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2013 3:46:38 PM PDT
Thank you for discrediting yourself. Again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›