17 of 18 people found the following review helpful
Small unit, but with crisp, strong sound,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: JBL OnStage IIIP 30-Pin iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock (Electronics)
A small, compact portable speaker dock for the iPod/iPhone. Sound is refreshingly crisp, strong, and room filling. (But) the remote is almost useless.
- The (surprisingly) small size and weight make it quite portable. If you attach the 6 AA batteries it requires for use as a portable speaker dock, you can carry it anywhere. It's most recommended that you use rechargeable (NiMH) batteries.
- Snapping an iPod Touch, Nano, Mini, or iPhone is a snap.
- The sound really is sharp, clear, and strong. It will very easily fill a small or even larger room with sharp, clear sound, with enough bass to make the dock appear a lot bigger than it is.
- Auxiliary cable input means you are not restricted to using this dock with only iPods. Just about any device, even your computer can be connected to this device.
- The volume controls are prominently placed, and in my opinion, very well-designed, and pretty too!
- The dock charges your iPod while it is connected to and playing music. Neat.
- The remote. It is not well designed, at all. The buttons are much too hard to figure out. The labels are very muted, with hardly any contrast, with the result that you often have to stare long and hard at the remote to figure out what each button does. Disappointing.
- It is a huge challenge to get in the six AA batteries into the compartment at the bottom.
- It is an even bigger challenge to get these six batteries out of the compartment. They fit too tightly into the compartment. Makes you fear that you may just crack the compartment or do damage trying to get the batteries out.
- It would have been useful to allow a way to unlock the connected iPod via the remote. If you have configured your iPod so that it requires a password to unlock, then you need to step over to the dock and enter the passcode to unlock the iPod. You cannot do that from the remote. Not a big deal, but a slight irritant nonetheless.
Overall, an excellent choice, and very attractively priced. Highly recommended.