4,566 of 4,657 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Just As Described, November 15, 2011
I am a little surprised by the reviews. When I read them yesterday, I was ready to return my case when it arrived today.

I bought this because I wanted the lightest case possible that would provide protection. It is very light. As the product description explains, the case is polycarbonate (an impact and scratch resistant PLASTIC) which has been rubberized on the outside, and the cover is a soft fabric (rubberized with a felt layer on the inside. Yes, the elastic strap is glued, but so what? Glue is a good thing.

It feels "cheap" because it is very light (so light I thought the package was empty). According to my postage scale, it weighs a tad over 3 ozs. The stand does not stay in place unless it is weighted with, of all things, a Kindle Fire inserted into it. Then it works perfectly.

It is exactly as advertised: a very light, form-fitting case that offers good protection for the device with a simple display stand. Nothing fancy. Certainly doesn't have a designer name. But, it does what it is intended for and I am very happy with it. Obviously, I can't comment on durability, but the materials seem of high quality and the finish is excellent.

UPDATE 20 Nov 11:

It is time for an update because I have been using the case for almost a week of intensive enjoyment of the Kindle Fire. It is really an outstanding case! If you are looking for a good balance between weight and protection, I can't imagine there is a better choice. I will address myself to a few issues based on use:

1. The stand function is very simple. You insert the leading edge of the folded cover into a slot on the back. This has worked well for me, although I notice a number of reviewers have commented that it doesn't work well for them. I am not sure about the discrepancy, but it may be related to the hinge stiffness. I noticed that it is more stable as the hinge side (on which the device rests when in the stand position) softens with use. It is rather stiff at first. If you massage it a while it becomes more pliable and flattens, which improves stability. As for falling out of the slot, I haven't experienced that problem.

2. The quality of materials seems to be excellent. "Light" means "cheap" to some people. But this seems to be made of high quality polycarbonate and rubberized fabric. I haven't noticed any degradation of the materials. The case is very well constructed, including the elastic strap, which is heat sealed to the case body. I tried to pry it off, and it is really bonded well to the case body. BTW, the space between the case and the Fire is a great place to store a microfiber screen cleaning cloth, which you will need.

3. It is light and the Fire is heavy (especially if you are used to the Kindle e-reader). Any weight savings should be appreciated and this case delivers. Did I mention it is light?

I would buy this case without hesitation, but everyone has different needs. My objective was to find the lightest case possible that was made of high quality materials and which would provide sufficient protection in case I dropped it (I seem to drop things a lot). This case meets my needs as well as I could expect. At the new lower price of $29.95, I think it is well-priced for protecting a $200 investment.

UPDATE 29 Dec 11:

I carry my Fire everywhere, everyday in my coat pocket and recently returned from a two week trip to Europe and Africa, where it got bounced around a lot. The case is in great shape. There is some scratching of the outer hard case, but just minor. Most importantly, I have dropped my Fire many times and this case has provided absolutely rock-solid protection. I would have thought that the front cover might fray at the edges or the flexible hinge might become worn. But it is still just like new. The only difference is that the case has become a lot more stable in the viewing position as the cover has become more flexible on the hinge edge. I stand by my original review even more positively.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 81 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2011 2:34:39 PM PST
I got the case too and am very pleased with it. I don't understand all of the bad reviews.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 2:49:52 PM PST
I got this case too. Haven't opened it yet because of all the negative reviews. The disturbing part is I paid $39.99 for it and now Amazon is charging $29.99 for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 3:05:56 PM PST
I just saw the price drop too! Urr!!! I'm still waiting on mine and thought about not opening it and sending it back. Guess I'll wait to read more reviews, hoping for more positive ones.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 3:15:25 PM PST
I just got off the phone with Amazon and they credited my account $10 which makes the price of this case $29.99. I think I'll keep it despite the bad reviews because there seem to be a couple of good reviews trickling in, including this one. What got me about this review is how Just Wonder says "The stand does not stay in place unless it is weighted with, of all things, a Kindle Fire inserted into it. Then it works perfectly." Wow, what a concept. Wonder if anyone else really tried it before they knocked it.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 5:02:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2011 11:20:09 AM PST
jean says:
Glad to read this because I ordered one too. I was very bummed when I saw it only got 2 stars until I read your review.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 6:17:23 PM PST
Cesar says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 7:16:18 PM PST
P. K. Jones says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 8:08:20 PM PST
christinhrt says:
I jut got off the phone with Amazon myself and they had no problem crediting me the $10 from the price drop.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 9:43:13 PM PST
rkountz says:
Apparently, I should have called, since I got:

Hello,

I'm sure it's disappointing to see the lower price on the Kindle Fire MicroShell Folio Cover you recently purchased. Our prices regularly change, and the price you paid when your order shipped was the lowest price we were able to offer at the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 7:58:03 AM PST
JJ Mahoney says:
These good reviews are encouraging. The bad ones are almost as silly as all the 1 star reviews for the Fire, mainly from people complaining about not getting theirs on Tuesday, or Apple fanboys saying the iPad is better. People need to learn what a product review is.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›