2.0 out of 5 stars Wow, This Film Is Terrible!, January 9, 2012
This review is from: One Day (Amazon Instant Video)
This is one of those films that should be studied in film class because it speaks to what is so difficult about making quality movies. If you examine each of the components - the actors, the script, the locations, the cinematography, and the plot....well, not the plot. And certainly not the direction or editing. But if you look at each of those first four things I mentioned, they were good enough.

But somewhere along the line, probably having to do with weak direction and editing, and perhaps a plot that has already been done several times (boy meets girl now and then over long period of time, and even though they are hot for each other they never get together until the end) "One Day" ended up completely lacking any real emotion, depth, or integrity. I'm told its brought in $56 million world wide, which is a credit to the drawing power of the two young leads, I suppose.

SPOILER ALERT: (If my review so far hasn't already spoiled this flick for you.) I realize that part of the plot was the transformation of the male lead from a person that basically has no character or integrity into a person who ...well, we don't really ever find out. At the end we learn that the feels bad about losing the love of his life. And he likes to take walks with his daughter.

Perhaps its my lack of British sensibility. The British love "cheeky" dialogue, fancy cars, angst-ridden, pathetic, wealthy male leads (see most of Hugh Grant's career), and my daughters tell me Jim Sturgess is attractive. But he lacked all sense of value. And even this would have been OK if that fact had been developed. But basically the Sturgess character is unrelatable, goes nowhere, and that's not a good thing for one of the two leads in a movie.

God, the worst moment in the movie had to be about 85% of the way through when Anne Hathaway gets on the bike in traffic. At this point, my family had a pretty good sense of the lack of creativity in the plot/direction, so as the same motor cycle kept racing by her several times, from a variety of camera angles (no, not for effect, I assume just terrible editing), I turn to my wife and say, "Oh no. They are going to kill her off in an accident." She says, "That wouldn't make sense, but I share your concern."

Literally 30 seconds, one turn, and one alley later (and the motor cycle is long gone), Anne Hathaway gets flattened by a medium sized, very fast moving truck. I don't mean she got hit. She got destroyed! I haven't seen a collision this brutal (in a non-action flick) since Brad Pitt got nailed after the coffee shop scene in "Meet Joe Black." It was cheap, completely telegraphed, inappropriate, and terribly done. Whatever shred of cred was left before that scene, was long gone.

Hathaway the actress is very good at developing endearing personalities on screen. She comes off as a young woman any young man would love to date. But for some reason, she ends up with a guy who "...sits around playing games and farting in the apartment..." The scenes in the Mexican restaurant were cute, but right out of "Princess Diaries." So as in real life, Anne Hathaway falls for the wrong man, and we have to watch her suffer for it for well over an hour, until it appears that he may have changed into a great guy. But "bloody heck," that lorry takes her out before their new relationship can develop.

Wow, this film was terrible! Even my wife and daughters were heckling the television (about twenty minutes after I started) at the end.

Two stars - one for Anne Hathaway's huge eyes, and one for the actress who had a minor role playing Sturgess's mother, dying from cancer, who even in her tiny role, stood out as the best of the cast.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2012 9:00:33 PM PST
Bob Dog--Even though I enjoyed the movie myself, I did see your point on a couple different things--mainly being the one of Hathaway "right out of 'Princess Diaries'". I have seen her pull out some great acting in "Rachel Getting Married", I seem to expect that caliber from her now. Also, thank you for including your SPOILER ALERT: That scene was gratuitous at least (Accident scene). The actress that was Sturgess's mother was played by the AWESOME 'Patricia Clarkson', she does a wonderful portrayal of Dr. Dagmar in "Lars And The Real Girl"--a good one to see for her and for the family too if you already haven't seen that one. Thanks, Sheryl

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 9:45:49 AM PST
Bob Dog says:
I look for honesty. Its not easy to find. For example, last night "The Villiage" was on television. Whatever issue you may have with the plot, etc., the relationship between Ivy and the young man was very well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 10:58:51 AM PST
Bog Dog--I agree with you about "honesty'. Sheryl

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 12:18:44 PM PDT
I only wish I'd read your comments before I watched this DVD. It was a waste of time - unfortunately, by the end of this interminable movie, I did not care one hoot about either character.

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 7:19:44 PM PDT
Thanks for the heads-up. My wife is watching it now on TV. She's in for a shock. Bummer.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (225 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist