5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy!, May 29, 2010
This review is from: ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem - Non-Retail Packaging (Brown Box) (Personal Computers)
This modem was economical and very easy to install. I simply disconnected my old Comcast modem, connected my new Motorola Surfboard modem, and called Comcast to give them my MAC ID (located on the modem). Within five minutes I was connected to the internet with the same great speed!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 29, 2011 11:25:47 AM PDT
Why would you buy this, and not let Comcast come and replace your modem with a new one from them?

I have had Time Warner/Comcast for more than 10 years. I'm on my 3rd modem now. Seems like they only last 3-4 years max before they need to be replaced. I'm just curious as to why you would pay out of pocket for it, when they should replace it for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 11:11:48 AM PDT
You can choose to rent a modem for 5 bucks a month or buy one outright. Perhaps you are grandfathered in a program where the modem is supplied by comcast for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 12:53:41 PM PDT
We now pay $7 a month to rent Comcast's modem...definitely time to buy one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 7:26:03 AM PDT
patrick says:
Because in the long run, he's saving money, unlike you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 11:02:16 AM PDT
Wrong! I don't pay any rental fees for my cable modem. I guess I'm grandfathered in to my old plan.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 3:13:51 PM PDT
indiefan74 says:
same here. $7 a month is absolutely absurd. the thing should be free for the amount of money charged for internet service - a service that is offered for FREE in a lot of places. to get the internet in your home and pay that high of what is now a "convenience charge" is ridiculous. we got our modem yesterday and plan on having it pay for itself within 6 or 7 months.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 4:33:22 PM PST
OneTreeMore says:
I am charged $6 a month. Going to buy one for $50.

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 3:13:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2012 3:17:14 PM PST
Woody says:
I have been paying $7.00 a month for the last 8 years, I did not know you could buy this, what an idiot I am. I do not know of anyone that gets it free. I will order this one now.
I was just told by comcast I can buy my own if I did not want to pay rental. I never heard of anyone NOT paying rental.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:02:35 PM PDT
J. Lowry says:
I did not have to pay a rental fee when I had AT&T Uverse (the best in my opinion). Now we have Time Warner due to it being a package deal with our new townhouse complex. Boo! Now we have to either rent ($4 a month) or buy a modem way cheaper, which is exactly what I'm going to do.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:29:01 PM PST
Jawad Khan says:
Bought this Motorolla Surfboard modem, called Comcast and gave them my modem Mac address (written at the bottom of the modem) and within 5 minutes had it running. I'll return the $7 rental modem immediately.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›