2.0 out of 5 stars Stick with the Non-Plus version - Buggy!, August 3, 2010
This review is from: WD TV Live Plus 1080p HD Media Player (Electronics)
Before I get started, let me give you some background. I've owned 2 WD Live (non-plus) models for about a year. I upgraded the 2 non-plus models to (2 of them, so you can't blame faulty hardware) plus models, which was a big mistake. The reason I did this was that the WD Live is a great product and I wanted to add Netflix support.

So let me start with the positives
*It plays practically everything
*The interface is simple and straight forward
*Support for Youtube, Pandora, Netflix
*Streams 1080p with no issue
*Really easy to setup

Now for the negatives
*The firmware is buggy. There hasn't been a single firmware released since the product has been out either.
*If your networked drive is asleep, the Plus will hang at connecting 95% of the time (non-plus wouldn't do that). You have to do something else on the device before trying again or turn it off and on again to try to connect again - It's like it caches the info
*Takes like 30 seconds to turn on (non-plus takes like 2)
*Menu navigation is slower compared to the non-plus
*It won't remember the place you stopped in a movie/show if you turn off the device (non-plus didn't have this issue)
*Netflix - you can't 'search' for a movie. You can only pick from the selection that is presented. If you want add other movies, you have to do that from you computer.
*If you drop connection while connecting to Netflix, then the device will not try the connection again after you fix network issue. You have to shut off the box and turn it back on
*You can't customize what network devices to show on the menu. It shows all devices on your network (same issue with non-plus)

So I would suggest skipping the buggy Plus version getting the WD Live Non-Plus, because that is a great unit, and do netflix via your tv, wii, ps3 or 360.

UPDATE After 6 months: Western Digital has issued updates to this device, but broke other things and made things worse. If you have bought this device, I would suggest a custom firmware from b-rad. This fixes most of the complaints I listed above.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 13, 2010 11:55:27 AM PDT
Derrick says:
Ouch... that looks like a painful list of negatives. I've also seen other complain that Netflix support is having issues.

I wanted to defend one of the negatives... searching Netflix... I'm sure something offers this but I know the Xbox360 does NOT offer searching. I have to queue up movies/shows with the netflix website. Not a HUGE deal... but seems like a lame omission.

I guess I'll stick with my WD Live non-plus and Xbox360 combo.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2010 4:06:47 AM PDT
I agree with the search on the 360. Both in my opinion are poor designs by Netflix. Your 360/WD Live non-plus setup gives you exactly what the plus version does, without the bugs and the extra $120 in cost. ;)

Correction to my Network Drive sleep comment - It's not the drive is asleep apparently. I watched a movie (worked fine), then when in to Settings and checked for firmware update (no new update), then went back to play another movie and it stuck at 'connecting'. Argh! There was no more than 2 mins between watching the 1st movie and going to watching the 2nd.

Still no firmware updates from WD as of today either.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2010 9:02:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 18, 2010 9:02:41 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 9:51:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2010 9:54:33 PM PST
Weld Tech says:
I have a Live Plus. I've had very little luck in connecting to my Uverse router, to stream video from my PC to play on the Live Plus. But when it's connected, I can stream video (mkv, avi) without issues. No choppy video!!

It's a pain in the butt to try to get it to connect to the network. Even if you copy all the info (ip, subnet mask, ect.) and enter it in manually, it will not connect most of the time. I've tried 2 different Live Plus boxes.

When I had my 1st box, I heard a crackling while playing mkv files. I returned the box, got another. Same issue. To fix it, I had to disconnect the HDMI cable and re-connect while movie was playing (gold connector Monster brand HDMI 1.3 cable, not cheap cable). Their tech support never heard of that issue before, called them around August of 2010. How can it be my HDMI cable or TV? I've used that cable with my DVD burner and Uverse DVR without issues!

Yes, to date still NO FIRMWARE RELEASE UPDATES, as of mid November 2010!!! Only some beta version (only first 100 people to download it can try it).

Some divx avi files do not have audio. Most all do, but...WTF!! Many wma files do not play or no sound (that's expected).

It does play DTSHD, but NOT TrueHD audio. DTS does play fine.

It has a 12 bit color depth that does seem to bring deep color out. No more flat looking washed out mkv movies!!

They still use that same, little cheap remote control too.

I'd not waste money on the plus..get the Live or even a gen 2 box (Not the gen 1). At least gen2, and Live box plays DTS audio through the HDMI.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 12:42:50 AM PST
Logical says:
I have the non-plus version and I think it is great.
I have four other devices that handles netflix.
Of the four, the LG blu-ray player is the very best of all of them.
Great menus compared to the other three.
I believe the model of LG blu-ray player is BD550.
One of the other devices was TiVo Premiere. (Works, but the menu was not that great)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 9:26:24 AM PST
I know why they have no new firmware, it's because they released another media player! I ended up putting a custom firmware by b-rad on my plus, which fixes some of the issues. overall I'm disappointed by this product and WD's lack of support

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 12:19:07 PM PST
Chops says:
Netflix on Wii is search-able... And the Netflix app can be downloaded and run from Wii system or SD memory now. Too bad Netflix for Tivo HD isn't search-able either. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 11:36:42 AM PST
Akhenatonio says:
Netflix on Xbox 360 is now searchable, after update. A HUGE thing, for those of us who was sick of having to queue items on a PC to watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 5:33:36 PM PST
Logical says:
I believe Netflix is searchable from the "To Do" list on TiVo Premiere.
I have not tried it yet thus I do not know for sure.
But it is advertised as being able to do.
It addition to searching TV Guide Listing, you can search, Netflix, Blockbuster, and Amazon on Demand, for shows to watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 11:45:59 PM PST
Chops says:
Perhaps, but I was specifically referring to Tivo HD... Premiere is the next HD iteration of Tivo hardware, and actually has HD menus... Doesn't surprise me that they'd finally get to adding a search function for Netflix, as I'm sure Netflix itself is a big selling point and they don't want to be upstaged by a game console.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (677 customer reviews)

Out of stock