3.0 out of 5 stars William Mark is NOT the manufacturer. Support is a bit confusing., November 29, 2012
This review is from: Angry Birds Air Swimmers Turbo - RED Flying Remote Control Balloon Toy (Toy)
(12/5/02 Edit) Thanks to Bluewater trading for explaining this in the comments below. Apparently William Mark is NOT the manufacturer for this product. Yes the make air swimmers, but not the angry birds ones. Blue Water Trading makes the angry birds line. As such, when you try to get customer support from William Mark, you hit a brick wall. William Marks site is confusing and simply states that they don't support this product. It does not point you to Bluewater Tradings website like it should. If you do however find Blue Waters angry birds website and support form though, it looks like you'll have a much better time getting product support than I did.

Anyway, below is my original review. Although I won't be buying one of these again, I've revised my rating thanks to Blue Water and William Marks comments (which are worth reading). Any edits in it are bracketed []

**********Begin Original Review**********
This toy looked like a TON of fun, so I went out and bought it from Toys R Us (It was less expensive there!)Anyway, it turned out to be a frustrating disappointment. The balloon had a hole from a bad seam and air kept escaping even when I tried taping it. I thought it would be easier to just contact the manufacturer than to go back to the store....boy was I wrong.

The manufacturer will not help you with this item [EDIT: William mark won't, but apparently Blue Water will] - AT ALL. Their [William Marks] support page says this specific version was made for toys r us and that as such you have to contact toys r us.

Continuing to look at [William marks] support form, it gets worse. If you have another model, they still won't help you unless you have the original box. Have a receipt and a picture of the gaping hole in your balloon you can fax them? Want to just send them the balloon and receipt in a 50 cent envelope instead of spending 5 bucks to mail the whole box and everything in it? No can do.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2012 12:35:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2012 1:28:08 PM PST
melcat says:
As someone who works at the William Mark Corporation, I apologize for the problem you had with the product and the website. Our website is in the process of being redone and the support page you were looking at refers to the shark and clownfish Air Swimmers, but not to the Angry Birds. Last year there were lots of problems with people wanting us to fix issues they have with knock-offs of our products, which is why those measures were put in place. We do our best to provide quality support to our customers when they are experiencing issues and am sorry you did not get that impression from your experience.

We designed the product, but it's been in Bluewater's capable hands since then. Please refer all questions concerning the Angry Birds Air Swimmers to Bluewater Trading.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:48:14 AM PST
Jallen says:
Nice sentiments, M. Salazar, but what are you actually going to DO for this customer? Not sure you get to say, "We do our best to provide quality support..." when you just leave this customer with a lot of words without any action. BTW, I happened upon this review as I was deciding if this was the toy to buy my 10 year old. We'll see if you lose one customer or two today.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:40:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 5:35:49 PM PST
Alex L says:
Thanks for the update about your website. You seem nice, but I still have a lot of problems with WMC. For starters, WMC says replacement parts are not compatible with knockoffs, so a replacement part should only work with genuine equipment anyway. This itself should negate the need to send back *everything* for a silly little replacement part. Moreover, WMC is the *first* manufacturer I've *ever* seen who does not view a receipt from an authorized retailer as proof of authenticity.

I've also never heard of a manufacturer not helping customers because a certain model is exclusive to a specific store. I understand if you can't talk about why this is the case, but I hope you understand how idiotic it looks from the consumer standpoint. Personally, the following is my list of things the new site really needs in order to create the image of customer care you're trying to convey for WMC:

1. The website is updated to provide support for *all* of your products (not dump problems on the seller for specific lines)

2. The support request form allows the proof of purchase or a receipt to be sent in instead of a giant box.

3. For bonus points, you should allow people to simply email you high res pictures of the defective part and receipt. Most companies do.

Please, if your new website has those changes in it, respond to my response. I'll go out and buy another one, and change my review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 12:27:36 PM PST
Thanks for everyone's comments. I'd like to help out. I work at Bluewater Trading and we manufacture and sell the product under this product listing, not the one mentioned in the review. Alex L has made some very important points. The toy that is being reviewed here is sold by Toys R Us (Angry Birds Air Swimmers "eXtreme" Turbo model) and is similar, but actually not the same as the item being sold in this product listing (theirs is made in a different factory than ours). The correct product listing for the reviewed product is Air Swimmers Extreme Turbo Radio Control Inflatable Flying Angry Birds

The major difference is that these toys are made and sold by different companies with different manufacturing facilities and with totally different customer service. Toys R Us has their own policies and procedures associated with their customer service. If you had bought the product in this listing from Bluewater Trading, and you had a defective part, you could email us through Amazon within 30 days of purchase, and we would have sent you the replacement part. This has always been Bluewater Trading's policy. For a defective part, we don't require you to mail us anything. It's Bluewater Trading's policy to keep our customers happy and satisfied with their purchases.

Please consider buying an Angry Bird Air Swimmer from us. They make awesome toys! My daughter loves playing with hers and so do the neighborhood kids. Please let me know if I can help out in any way. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 1:27:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 1:34:01 PM PST
Alex L says:
Now THAT was useful. Moreover, looking at your website, you guises policy's seem very reasonable. Heck, I'd go so far as to say you should have people send in pictures if they claim a defect.

Anyway, thank you for the response. WMC should really differentiate on their site that these models are manufactured and sold by you guys, and directly link to your support page for people who have bought this. It damages both you as the manufacturer and WMC as the licensor when I as a consumer simply go to the WMC site and find no support or link to your site.

Between the price having gone up since I bought mine (Toys R us had it on sale for $20 when I purchased it) and the overall experience, I don't think I'll be buying one again myself, but I am updating my review accordingly. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:37:51 PM PST
Thanks for the review update Alex!

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 7:35:25 PM PST
Jim Jimson says:
"William Marks site is confusing and simply states that they don't support this product. It does not point you to Bluewater Tradings website like it should."

So, let's suppose you bought a Chevrolet and went to the Ford website; would you expect them to point you to the Chevrolet website?? Honestly, that's ridiculous. I would argue that "we don't support X" is badly worded and could easily be more clear; but helping you navigate the intertubes is not their job.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 2:28:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 2:39:27 AM PST
Alex L says:
Jim, I don't know if you're stupid, confused, or both, but for the purposes of my response, I'm assuming both.

Again, WMC is the licensing company, original manufacturer of air swimmers, and continues to make all models except the angry birds ones. Even on this items page, the product shows as being made "by William Mark." Blue Water Trading just looks like a merchant.

Anyway, this is an AIR SWIMMER, which WMC claims patent, trademark, and manufacturing rights to. You know...like how Chevrolet claims those rights for....Chevrolet?

So... if Chevy licenses their name to Ford so that Ford can make a specific model, yes, it's Chevy's job to ensure support requests for that special model get redirected to Ford.

Please let me know if that was too confusing. I can dumb it down even further if you need me to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:01:54 AM PST
melcat says:
Alex,

Just wanted to let you know that WMC's returns/replacement parts process has been updated. We learned from your comments as well as feedback from other customers and now require pictures of the box/controller instead of having the consumer mail us the entire box. The returns process has also been reworded and we clarified what we can replace on Air Swimmers purchased at Toys R Us. There is also an online form you can fill out to speed up and modernize the process. I hope this helps you and future customers when navigating our website.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›