1.0 out of 5 stars A "How NOT To Do BDSM" Book, December 18, 2007
This review is from: Submission: A Novel (Paperback)
There's more wrong with this book than right. So much so I'm not quite sure where to even begin.

I found it really turned me off to the book entirely that this woman put her lust before her marriage and her child. To the point of abandoning her son and hiding from her husband. If you're at all kinky, one of the cornerstones is trust and open communication. Granted, this turn off might be my own knee jerk reaction, but it set the tone for me.

Being that almost all BDSMers are into consentuality, again I found myself annoyed and upset by her going out into the street almost naked and pushing her kink onto some unsuspecting bystander to pay for things. Hot in fantasy, but, give me a break. The poor folks who had to witness that sure didn't consent to being a part of it. In fact, any of the poor people who were subjected to her antics in public were non-consentually a part of "His" and her's scenes.

The non-sex of course. Granted, D/s isn't always about sex, but this woman was so OBSESSED with it, and all "He" seemed intent on doing was emotional torture. Again, fun to play with in a safe and secure relationship, which this one was NOT.

I admit, I also wasn't really impressed with the fact she was either drunk or stoned through most of this. Those things don't mix safely nor well in WIITWD, and can lead to harm.

And, of course, we've got the negative body image issue. That's ALWAYS nice. And yes, that's sarcasm.

It was like taking the worst side of the BDSM lifestyle, the side that always seems to crop up in media news and gives kinksters a bad rap, and throwing it all between the covers of a book. It was the worst fears and nightmares come to life of someone involved in the lifestyle, but in written form. Everything you SHOULD NOT do, everything you're 'taught' is unhealthy, self-destructive and emotionally co-dependent is here.

I'm not a fan of "The Story of O" either. In fact, until I read "Submission", "O" was a book I warned EVERYONE to stay away from and was at the bottom of my recommended reading list for fiction. "Submission" just took "O"s place as the worst BDSM/kink book ever written.

Someone else suggested the "Sleeping Beauty" trilogy by A. N. Roquelaure (an Anne Rice pen name). I'll second that recommendation, but even more highly recommended is "The Marketplace" series by Laura Antoniou. Gracious, for just a stand alone book for erotica, even "Nine and a Half Weeks" surpasses both of these!

Save yourself the money. If you're looking for erotica, try one of the two series I've mentioned. If you're looking for a "how to" book, I recommend Jay Wiseman to start off with, or Dossie Easton and Janet Hardy's books.

[Add comment]