70 of 70 people found the following review helpful
Great for using in creeks and lakes. Changed my photography.,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber 3 Section Tripod with Q90 Column and Magnesium Castings (Black) (Camera)
Scott Kelby recommends this tripod in his top seller, Digital Photography. It is definitely one of the best pieces of advice I ever read. While pricey, this tripod is worth every buck. Using it near daily for several months and capturing several thousand photos has changed my photography for the better, especially landscapes and water shots.
1. Bring on the water. This tripod is ideal for getting in the water--creeks, rivers, lakes, marshes, etc. It lures one into deeper water for unique shots that cannot be gotten from shore. (Watch out for forgotten cellphones in pockets.) Sand, mud, clay, bird dropping, etc, do not impede the latching. It cleans easily with a water hose. Drains best upside down (or down the back of a shirt.)
2. Stable. The magnesium leg hinges change angles with a firm press, then maintain their angle solidly. The legs extend/collapse quickly and hold their position without slipping.
3. Get all the angles. The 90 degree column is fast and especially useful for near-ground shots or up against a rock face or tree. There is hardly any angle the plate cannot be set to, or location this tripod can't be set up on (haven't tried ice, yet.)
4. Surprise benefit. An adjunct hiking "stick" to get up or down banks or ledges--a great combo with a separate hiking stick for getting to optimum capture sites.
5. Carbon fiber. Worth it. Damps vibration compared to aluminum. Light weight is perfect for hiking with camera attached and ready to shoot.
6. Pairing: Needs a separately purchased head. Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head with RC2 Rapid Connect Plate (3157N) pairs nicely with it.
Numerous photography authors advise getting a really good tripod. If you got a cheap tripod, upgrade to this one. If you don't have a tripod, then do your photography addiction a favor and get this one!