1.0 out of 5 stars Honestly I wish I could get my money back, September 2, 2010
This review is from: Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to getting this book but I was amazed by the ingredients in half the recipes. Also the sodium counts! One recipe had a single serving had 1200 mg of sodium! 1200! I can't stand to eat something low fat/low calorie that then bloats me up because of all the salt I just ate. What's the point in that?

I really don't like having recipes where I have to use all artificially flavored or artificially sweetened foods. I have tried to see what I could possibly make out of the whole book. The only thing I might even want is the french toast style waffles. This recipe involves taking nutrigrain low fat frozen waffles and then adding the typical ingredients for french toast (swapping out egg for egg substitute). That's not too bad but again sodium starts to rack up when you are using 3-5 ingredients of processed foods.

I bought three cookbooks after this one that I love. Devin Alexander's "Fast food Fix", "The Most decadent diet" and "I can't believe it's not fattening". Now those I love! The most recent "I can't believe it's not fattening" tries its best to still use some items that are prepackaged products to save time but she focuses on all natural products and tries to keep all her recipes healthy. I have made dozens of items from each of these books but I have yet to still be able to make anything from the HG 1-2-3 book.

I was so dissapointed with the recipes, plus even the food in the pictures looks unappealing. I highly recommend you not buy this book and try something else. Even eating lean cuisines will be better for your health. At least there you are only looking at 500-600 mg of sodium per meal. You can get at least three lean cuisines for the price of this book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 6, 2012 2:45:47 PM PST
Mary says:
Thank you for posting this....

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 11:33:28 PM PDT
a reader says:
Thank you so much for your review. I try my best not to use processed foods if I can help it. I have to watch my sodium intake for medical reasons so I'm going to save myself some $$ and NOT buy this book.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 9:49:52 AM PST
Proud says:
I was about to buy a kindle version of this book because of the glorious reviews. Then I clicked to preview this book, and oh my god these recipes sounded so disgusting. I don't think they sounded one bit delicious or healthy. I guess the only thing cutting calories in this book would be its small portion. More like a college cook book, but really, even a college kid wouldn't be thrilled about this book. Thanks for posting. This really confirmed my decision not to buy this.

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 6:24:43 AM PDT
I bought one of her books on kindle and it had a hundred recipes for spaghetti squash, 50 would have done it!

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 10:20:14 AM PST
Meme08 says:
From someone who has just recently started on a mad hunt for healthy alternative cooking methods and meals, I would just like to thank you for your honest review. My hubby was recently diagnosed with HBP, High Cholesterol, poor liver function and type II diabetes. With the outstanding reviews and high marks on these books, I was just going to go ahead and order a few of them. The VERY LAST thing we need are meals high in sodium content and preservatives!! You just saved me a lot of money and aggravation!! Thanks so much for heads up, happy, healthy eating, and best wishes to you and yours!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›