5.0 out of 5 stars ...One order of crow, please..., April 23, 2005
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Yourself Fitness (Video Game)
I first saw this "game" in the console section of a store around the time I began considering that I needed to work out more. At the time, I actually laughed at it. I just couldn't believe that something like exercising to a game console was going to be any better than a video: What a waste of technology. I mean, exercise routines are all the same, right? Dull. Boring. Repetitive. Gimmicky. Painful in all the wrong ways. So, this had to be the same, right? What was this thing going to do that I couldn't get anywhere else?-besides a pixilated workout character who may not be all she's cracked up to be?

Well, after spending about another week passing up the usual exercise tapes and swallowing my pride to purchase this, I have had my question answered; and have been eating my words daily for the past two weeks.

Y!F is really almost addictive: The level of personalization and interaction in the game is really great for someone who is tired of being spoken at by a pre-recorded person on video. The workouts are very fun (and pretty painful, if you're not used to doing them--but in a good way!) and versatile. The extras (earning new music and backdrops; using extra equipment; meal plans; personal fitness tracking; fitness goal setting/customization; scheduling; etc.) really help you to get along to whatever fitness goals you may have, as well. Most of the exercises are easily adjusted for higher or lower impact depending on our ability...and of course, if you already do great on floor exercises, try it with the equipment and increase the difficulty and exercise time. You simply can't loose.

Maya, the personal trainer character is also very encouraging yet down to earth, which is great for someone like me, who usually equates exercise with annoying bouncy, bubbly video queens in pink spandex and legwarmers yelling at me to "Feel the BURN! Woooot!". In comparison to those types, Maya is much more realistic. The animation for her is pretty good during the workout sessions. If you pause, she will stretch, and walk around while waiting- she is never really still. Nor robotic, just like an actual person.

I like the fact that every day I log in to work out, I'm greeted and acknowledged. (and when I skip days that I've scheduled, that I'm acknowledged in having done that, too: commitment is good.) I have the option of choosing what kind of workout I would like to do, and then have the workout adjusted for me depending on my mood (which can be all over the place, and effecting most of what I do, especially things like working out) and how easy/difficult the workouts actually are once we get started. You can also adjust the time that you spend working out, which is good for those days when you don't have but 15 minutes, or when you think you could go for 1 hour or more.

Personally, my favorite part of this 'game' is the Meditation Garden. In this feature, you get about 15-20 minutes or so of yoga, also dynamically performed, like the rest of the workouts. The yoga is very useful for muscle aches from the regular workouts, and helps me to ease my pre-existing body pain. I would suggest that if you get this product, to use this feature at least once every other day. It's very enjoyable all on it own.

--and after two weeks of faithful application, I have been noticing marked improvements. I'm glad I got this instead of opting for another bland workout tape, or simply walking in the park once a week. It wouldn't have worked out for me at all. I've been down that road and back, many times in the past.

Y!F Has really helped me to enjoy exercising. I'm not perfect about it, but at least I feel like it's something I can do and enjoy for the challenge; and not something I'm doing in order to torture myself for the eventual, far off benefits. There are benefits, now, even this short into my long term goal of loosing weight.

I highly suggest this to folks who need to get out and move more, and/or to folks who are tired of the same old boring notion of exercise tapes. If you haven't seen the light, yet, you probably will begin to after giving this a try. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

5 stars, hands down.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]