Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coffee maker!, March 28, 2010
This review is from: AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker with zippered nylon tote bag with bonus 350 Micro Filters (Kitchen)
This is a great coffee maker - especially for someone like me who wants to make only 1 mug at a time. I've tried all different kinds of coffee makers, but they don't seem to be optimized for making a single ~8 oz mug of coffee. I always ended up brewing multiple cups of coffee and throwing the extra away to get the one good cup I wanted.

I got this aeropress for Christmas 2006 and it is great. I followed the initial instructions, but preferred my coffee a bit different. So, I experimented with grind, water temperature, amount of coffee/water, etc., until I found the right combination for *my* personal preference. I use this to make a cup of coffee, not espresso (that is, I add water to the result to get "regular" coffee), so I can't comment on the quality of espresso taste. I have noticed that coffee beans/grind from different sources have their own "sweet spots" for best grind and coffee/water quantity to get the taste I prefer. So, now that I know how I like to brew a couple different types, I try to stick with those so that I don't have to go through the experimenting stage needed if I try a completely new coffee bean/grind. That works for me. This coffee tastes great. :)

Oh, I should mention that I have also used french press coffee makers. I really like the taste of french press coffee, but got sick of the grinds and/or sediment that always ends up in the bottom of the coffee and made the bottom of the cup taste gross. True to its advertising, the aeropress doesn't seem to leave grinds or sediment. I sip my cup kind of slowly and end up zapping it in the microwave to heat it up again several times. The coffee does not get bitter from sitting in my mug because there is not coffee grind sediment soaking at the bottom. That is a huge plus for me!

A few folks mentioned that the plunger can be hard to press. I have to agree. I've had 2 shoulder surgeries and it does take some extra effort to manage to push the plunger straight down. I can still do it, although I only have 2 scoops of coffee grind in at a time. I think it would be extremely difficult to press with too much coffee in it.

All this time of daily use, including travel, and there are no problems, no parts wearing out from stress, no cracks in the plastic. It still looks like new.

I donated my drip coffee machine, french press and espresso machine to Goodwill. :)

PS - I noticed the aeropress is available via third party vendor and Amazon. I can't comment on the vendor, as I put it on my wishlist for Xmas and got it as a gift. I noticed there are separate reviews for each device/vendor, so will post my review under each.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 9:57:28 AM PST
I have been using the press for about 8 months. Very pleased with the results of the process. Problem that the tube and the plunger are allowing the processed coffee to back up along the inside of the tub. It appears that either the polunger ruber end shunk or that the tube has expanded. What do we do to resolve the situation other than buy another filter?

SD

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:13:49 AM PST
C. Schmidt says:
Hi Stephen,
Huh, I've never had that problem. I used the press only once a day, since I only drink one cup of coffee a day. I was worried initially that the rubber would dry over time and shrink, but haven't noticed that. I wonder if they changed something in the manufacturing process since the one I got in ~2006? c-

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2013 12:08:51 AM PST
DJ Millard says:
Hello Stephen, I know you can buy replacement parts from Aerobie. Give them a call at 1-650-493-3050 and tell them whats happening I'm sure they will say it's a faulty plunger rubber, it's unlikely the tube has expanded unless it was exposed to some serious heat on one side causing a deformity. Hope this helps.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›