1.0 out of 5 stars Feature wise it's a 5 star, but it's not reliable, October 17, 2009
This review is from: Hamilton Beach 33967 Set 'n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker, Silver (Kitchen)
Pretty much a perfect score as far as features go. Unfortunately, it just can't be trusted. It just turns itself off during the cook cycle sometimes. Not all the time, but enough to make it so you can't trust it. Seems to be a somewhat common complaint with the unit.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 28, 2010 6:06:00 AM PST
I'm glad to hear that someone else has had this problem as well. I thought I was going crazy when my unit appeared to turn itself off at unknown times during the day, leaving me no choice but to toss all the food in it away. The rest of the clocks in my house were in proper working order, so it doesn't look like an interruption in electricity is to blame.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2010 8:33:54 AM PDT
NofYB says:
6/29/10 Hamilton Beach IS NOT GOING to correct the problem. Here's a response to an email I sent them asking about the problem of the machine turning off:

"The sales of the programmable slow cooker have far outweighed any defects reported."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2010 1:53:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2010 1:53:46 PM PDT
Boilermate says:
Thank you for comment. This slow cooker was on my very short list, but was concerned about reviews saying it turned itself off. I was wondering if this was an early production glitch, but apparently not...and HB's response is enough to tip the scales away from this model.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 6:14:29 PM PDT
Michael says:
I have the same problem. And I love the features so it makes me sad that I can't trust it.
I contacted Hamilton Beach while my pot was still under warranty and I would have had to pay $15+ shipping to get it replaced - with another pot that could easily be faulty too. I've already wasted at least $50 in spoiled food on the thing. I'm not going to give Hamilton Beach any more of my money!

Posted on Feb 1, 2011 5:47:06 AM PST
J. Baisden says:
Reading these complaints about the unit shutting itself off was enough to make me go with another brand. Hamilton Beach's reply is enough to make me not buy their brand ever. They just sold off this customer . . . I guess business is so good that they can do without a few buyers?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 4:07:20 AM PDT
Firefly says:
This review and comments led me to the same decision, JB! I have two old Rivals with the wrap-around heating element and LOVE them. I wanted a big oval pot and discovered Rival now uses the bottom element only, which creates hot spots. Does anyone know of a brand that still uses the wrap-around?

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 6:54:27 AM PDT
Thank you for your review. I have a very reliable slow cooker, but was looking for one with more features. I guess I'll be sticking with what I have for awhile longer, since this unit isn't to be trusted to cook the food while I'm away. What good is a slow cooker if it can't be left untended?

Posted on Dec 12, 2014 6:47:05 AM PST
James M. says:
I'm sorry that you had so much trouble, but thank you for this review. I see this complaint pretty frequently, so I will be purchasing another crock pot.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›