1.0 out of 5 stars Chamber Cleaning System, February 7, 2010
This review is from: Mr. Coffee Electric Coffee Grinder with Chamber Maid Cleaning System (Kitchen)
My husband purchased this product for my birthday a couple of years ago. I always grind my own coffee for breakfast and sometimes grind it for lunch. After a year I noticed the plastic arms (or scrapers) were getting very thin and one of them had even broken. I emailed customer service about the problem and they sent me a new grinding bowl. I looked at the new bowl, saw the arms were thick and thought the company had realized there was a design flaw and changed it. I began using the new grinding bowl and now it is a year later. I just noticed that the plastic arms are getting thin again. This could only mean that this grinder slowly grinds the plastic arms. And that you are drinking very finely ground plastic every time you drink a cup of coffee made from the beans you have freshly ground. Is this healthy? I think not!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 84 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2010 5:02:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2010 7:19:04 AM PST
Troy Papeq says:
This is a startling observation! By far the most important review I have read, probably about ANY product. Thank you so much for sharing this info - there is no way I would want this thing when it is adding plastic to the grind. This is the kind of thing you could only learn after years of using it, so again, thanks for taking the time to report this here. I can't help but wonder what's causing this. Are the blades scraping the plastic arms? Does the acid from the coffee slowly erode the plastic? Is this thing made in China?

Posted on Feb 22, 2010 9:38:24 AM PST
simone says:
Thank you for writing this review. I was seconds away from buying this grinder. I don't want to drink tiny bits of plastic in my coffee!

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 9:42:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2010 1:34:45 PM PST
Wings42 says:
I'd like to add my thanks. You could be saving lives with this review. Cleaning the grinding chamber of coffee grinders is a pain, and so I was close to buying this grinder. However, increasing our odds of getting cancer and hormonal imbalances from drinking micro-fine plastic in hot liquid is even more of a pain.

Maybe you could make the title of your review more attention getting.

Posted on Mar 4, 2010 11:10:30 AM PST
I agree that it's not the best of scenarios and may make you want to use another type of grinder. However, keep in mind that a standard paper coffee filter should easily trap virtually all of it. So, it might not be as bad as you thought. Enjoy life!

Posted on Apr 16, 2010 6:19:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 16, 2010 6:22:26 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 25, 2010 12:14:29 PM PDT
Wouldn't a coffee filter prevent you from drinking the plastic parts?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2010 11:01:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2010 11:05:59 PM PDT
Wings42 says:
Some or all of the plastic particles would be microscopic size.

Now that cancer, including stomach and colon cancer, has passed heart disease as the leading cause of death in America, I wouldn't be willing to take the chance that it might be safe.

What you choose to eat or drink is your own business. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2010 1:10:29 AM PDT
TK says:
Some heated plastics emit toxins. I don't think a coffee filter could eliminate potential toxins.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 4:22:58 PM PDT
C. Hascoat says:
I've read the responses to this review of the product I was poised to buy. Whether a filter is able to eliminate microscopic plastic shards or, in the grand scheme of things this is but a fly on a..., because I have a choice regarding this particular item's possible adverse effect, mine is not to buy it.

Posted on Oct 5, 2010 3:33:40 PM PDT
S. russo says:
I had the same issue with this product and i was thinking it was finely grinding the plastic ,now im sure it is,this stuff can kill us ,did someone place a report with consumer reports and the company.This is very serious..
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (650 customer reviews)

$29.99 $17.88 - $59.96