Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Large, unique, and bad ass!!, June 15, 2011
This review is from: Casio Men's GX56-1ACR G-Shock Tough Solar Mud Resistant Digital Sport Watch (Watch)
I have reviewed quite a few G-Shock watches, and this model is the biggest, and baddest of them all. Let me start with the looks. It looks like a 5600 series on steroids, and basically that's what it is. It's large, but not too large, as a couple of people seem to say in some reviews. The display is sharp and crisp, and as I speak I am in a low lit room, with just my pc monitor and I can see the time clearly. Don't let anyone deter you from the negative display, as they have come a long way as of late, and are readable, except in the lowest of light. If its an issue for you, turn the watches auto illumination on, and you will always see the time!! This watch is a matte black with red writing, and accents, red pushers, and red alpha gel in the display. I'll talk about alpha gel in a bit. The band is large and can accommodate just about anyone's wrist. The band is also of the highest quality, and thicker and more comfortable than just about any G-Shock I have come across. The double tang clasp is made out a metal that reminds me of the old die cast metal toys I had as a child, so the clasp is strong!! The buttons are covered in a red plastic, and are a little harder to push like the mudman, but this watch keeps out dust, dirt, and mud, so no big deal. For all you water sports people, this watch is the usual 200m, 20 bar water resistance, so no worries in the water. This watch will get noticed by everyone, as it is sleek, and very sporty looking. If you like the 5600 series, you will love this watch. A+ aesthetically.

The U.S. version of this watch has the tough solar power, while the Japanese version has the solar and multiband 6. Now while the atomic timekeeping is nice, it's not necessary for me. These watches are accurate, and you won't be messing around with the setting of the time anytime soon, unless you have to have, "to the second accuracy" at all times.The watch has 5 alarms and snooze, auto illumination, meaning twist the wrist, and the face lights up. It has world time for over 40 cities, and I like the fact you can set dual time on the face. In other words, you can have your current time, and another city's time on the same screen, at the same time. It has a countdown timer and a stop watch as well. This model has the usual features of most mid to higher end G-Shocks, and incorporates the tough solar power, w/o the atomic. Feature wise, it has everything you need.

This watch, according to Casio, is the most shock resistant structure they currently have available. Casio added another level of protection to the inside of the case called alpha gel, which makes the watch even more shock resistant by dampening vibrations and shock, before it ever effects the inside components. (very cool) The case is also double reinforced with twice the resin of normal G-Shocks all around the face, and corners of the face. In other words, this sucker is tough as nails. Tougher than any G-Shock before it!! They don't call this watch the king of G-Shock for nothing. It earns its name for sure.

I got this watch for a little over $100, and it's a steal at retail. ($150) If you can get it around $100, buy it. This watch is unique in appearance, very comfortable, you'll never have to change the battery, and is just a killer sports watch. Casio has done it again with this one. There are also a few other colors worth noting. There's a black w/green face w/regular lcd, an all orange with reverse lcd, a black and blue Japanese version w/ reverse lcd, and limited edition black and purple w/ reverse lcd. In my opinion the black and red is the sharpest, and I usually go for blue and black anything, so that's saying a lot for this watch. Anyway you go, this watch is killer. Go buy it already. I hope this review helped someone in there decision.

By the way, for the record, I am a big guy, 6'1" 300+ lbs., and a 8.5 inch wrist, and the band has room for a lot more. Just an f.y.i. for big guys looking at this watch. Also for anyone with an average to small wrist, this watch is 53mm in diameter, so if you do not like big watches, look elsewhere. (Yeah, it's 2 inches wide, LOL)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2011 9:29:39 PM PDT
P. Taegel says:
Question: If you're using the stopwatch, can you also see the time? Or do you have to scroll to the time function? Thanks!

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 9:47:09 AM PDT
Gregory Vega says:
thanks for the info bro !

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 8:32:04 PM PDT
Mark K says:
Thanks! I've always admired the classic look of the 5600 but found them too small for my 8.25" wrist. Glad to know these new ones look good on larger wrists!

Posted on Sep 20, 2013 5:11:09 AM PDT
Visa Card says:
This is a bad ass CASIO. I have the Casio G-Shock GX-56-1BDR. I like these watches. I plan on getting one more of these in my collection. I don't know what color to get. You did a great job on this video. I grew up with CASIO G-SHOCKS. Please let me know when you read this. Thank You.

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 5:14:37 AM PDT
Visa Card says:
I own the GX-56-1BDR in the positive LCD. I really like mine. I want to get this module. When you get yours wet. Do you have any problems with and condition in the face of the watch? Please get back to me when you can. Thank You.

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 5:27:24 AM PST
Visa Card says:
You are wright. This G-Shock is bad ass and big. I own the GX-56-1BDR. It has the positive LCD. I really would like to get the GX-56 in the all black or the green. The only thing is they are so over priced. D0 you know where I can go and get one of these a little cheaper? Please get back to me when you can. Thank You.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›