1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money on this camera, May 17, 2011
This review is from: Pentax Optio WG-1 Adventure Series 14 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 5x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom (Black) (Camera)
We owned a Pentax's first waterproof camera (Optio W10) and loved it. So when it came time to upgrade we bought this one before our trip to Mexico. We choose this one because of its ergonomic design. We figured this would work wonders when splashing around underwater and be easy to hold onto. The ergonomic design is the only redeeming feature of this camera.

At first we were concerned about how loose the battery door was. The battery door stayed shut but it would slide partially open when closed and was very loose (not enough for water to actually get in but enough to make us concerned). Thinking it might just be the camera we picked up, we went back to the store where we bought it from. After looking at other ones it appears to be part of the design. This should have been our first clue that this is a horrible camera.

While on vacation in Mexico the camera froze several times requiring the battery to be removed to get it to unfreeze. Now this can be a true problem when you need to let the camera dry for about an hour before opening the battery door otherwise you risk exposing both the battery and memory card to water.

We also discovered small water spots on the inside of the display screen. Clearly it is not as waterproof as claimed. I am glad we were only using it while wading in the ocean and not actually snorkelling.

The battery life is extremely poor requiring charging every two days when the camera is moderately used.

We also found the image quality not that good. After returning from our vacation, we looked at old images from our previous camera (Optio W10) and they were much better even though it was only 6 megapixels. In fact the same picture taken with our iPhone 3Gs had a better image quality.

Pros
- Great rugged looking design

Cons
- Poor image quality
- Freezes
- Not completely waterproof
- Poorly manufactured

Summary
Clearly Pentax designed a nice looking camera that gives the illusion of ruggedness; however, their production quality of this model is extremely poor. We've returned the camera and are looking for a different one (not from Pentax) to replace it with.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 26, 2011 3:45:55 PM PDT
Freezes must be due to the memory card not being formated in camera, I know cause it's has happened to me with different cameras.

Posted on May 28, 2011 4:13:38 AM PDT
Frawline says:
I bought this camera because I had the Optio-80 for kayaking, mostly. It took nice pictures that seemed to get less clear over time. But I had to replace it because (oops) the battery got wet when the door opened in the water. I ordered the WG as an upgrade. I sent it back. The colors were awful, reds and pinks completely blown out. The sky in bright mode or landscape mode, turned GREEN. All outdoor pictures were overexposed. It took great indoor photos but that is not what I need it for. I want to think the WG that I bought was defective. I had planned on re-ordering it. Now, I am not so sure. I am sure that I do need a rugged waterproof camera.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 2:41:38 PM PDT
Did you read the manual? It clearly says to let the camera completely dry before opening the ports to prevent water from getting inside.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2011 6:01:53 PM PDT
Frawline says:
I don't know who you were responding to. You sound mean. You were not responding to me. I have had waterproof cameras before. I had the Pentax Optio 80. I bought the WG-1 and it took really lousy pictures. I am not a novice photographer. I am kindly going to assume it was defective. Everything was over-exposed if taken outdoors, on any setting. Reds and pinks were completely blown out. The sky always looked light green, never blue. My first Optio 80 was defective, I also bought it when it was new. I had to send it back to Pentax (horrible customer service.) My Optio 80 had a defective memory chip. When it was finally returned it worked fine. The WG-1 is relatively new. So maybe, lucky me, I got another defective camera. This time I bought it from someplace that was willing to refund my money. There is no way I will deal with returning it to Pentax. I may try the WG-1 again. I can't see to find any waterproof digitals that get consistently good reviews. Every camera seems to have haters and lovers, nothing inbetween.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 6:07:23 PM PDT
Frawline says:
Oh, if you were commenting on me getting my Optio W80 wet, that was my mistake. But, I took thousands of pictures with it. Then one day, I just did not have the battery door shut 100 percent. It was shut enough to take photos, but not tight enough to stop water. It was my expensive mistake on a day I was rushed. That was not the Optio's fault. That was my mistake. Mr. McCullough, don't be so condescending, please.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 8:30:58 AM PDT
This user is completely wrong regarding this camera. The "loose" battery door does not exist. You have to move a lever while simultaneously moving the door in order to open it. It will not open on it's own, nor will it leadk. I have shot several thousand pictures in just the first month that I've had this camera and never had a freeze. The battery usage is heavy when the camera is configured to use the built-in GPS. They probably neglected to read the camera manual, for it they did, it states quite clearly that when the GPS is configured to be on, it STAYS ON even when the camera is turned off. The solution is to either turn off the GPS or buy some spare batteries. I have found the image quality to be superb, pretty much indistinguishable from the DSLR that I also use. I have been into photography for 38 years and know a great camera when I see one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 10:09:09 AM PDT
Frawline says:
I have the WG-1. I am still not getting great outdoor pictures. I sent the first camera back. I ordered the same camera again. I micro-manage the outdoor settings and things still don't seem sharp and they are usually overexposed. I had the OPTIO 80 and I took fantastic beach pictures. With the WG, you can't simply use the Snow/Water setting and start taking pictures. With my OPTIO 80 I could. I am not getting true blue skies, etc. I need this camera to be primarily for wet or rugged conditions. I am just not getting those stunning, fabulous photos from my kayak that I want. I did do some okay city skyline photos. Indoors, no problems. I am not a novice photographer. I use a Canon Rebel T2i and I did have the Pentax Optio 80.
I am just going to keep on trying. I hope it is an oversight on my part. I hope it is something that I am just not doing right. I don't want to believe it is the camera. I live in Florida and I need a rugged waterproof camera.

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 11:00:23 AM PDT
Julie says:
Why would you submit a review on a camera that is obviously a faulty one? If it freezes and has water under the lens, it can't be more clear that you got a bad one...which is very common in any new electronic. You shouldn't bring down the rating with an innacurate review. I've snorkeled with mine and even taken it through the jungle in the rain and mud and none of these issues occurred. It just doesn't make sense to me that you would give it a bad review if you obviously don't have a good, working camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 3:41:57 PM PDT
Frawline says:
I have not had waterproof issues with my WG. That part I believe is a big improvement over the Optio 80. I don't see the door popping open. I have never had water under the lense. But I still am not taking great on the water, big sky photos. With the Optio 80 - it was point and shoot in the beach/snow setting. With the WG - you have to also pay attention to brightness, sensitivity and other settings and you have to put them in memory if you will be turning the camera on and off. Close ups of flowers or my parrots outside in their aviary - great shots. City skylines from my office window, good shots. But again, today I took it kayaking and perhaps it is me, but the pictures were still over-exposed. And still, not great definition of the clouds in the sky.

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 7:18:58 AM PDT
PJ Bark says:
I too am very disappointed. I owned an Optio-S for years and upgraded several times in the pentax family. this camera was a waste of good money. Pics not nearly as sharp as the older models, colors not true, anti-shake not nearly as effective (hand off the camera to someone to take our pic and they were so blurry, tough to recognize.) They emailed us the pics from their phones that were better. Not a pentax winner.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›