1.0 out of 5 stars If your phone is lost or stolen, you're out of luck., February 10, 2003
There is a serious flaw with the one year prepaid service option: If you lose your phone or it gets stolen, you will lose all the minutes/units you purchased that are still unused on your phone. My phone was stolen a month after purchasing the one year/150 minute Tracfone prepaid card, and I was informed by customer service that I would not be compensated for my balance because there was no way to prove how many minutes I had left on the phone at the time it was stolen. They need the actual phone to verify the minute balance, and obviously I could not provide it. I do recommend Tracfone service but I strongly recommend purchasing the smallest increments possible (30 minutes for 60 days). This way, if your phone is lost or stolen, you won't be out so much money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 11, 2008 9:34:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2008 9:36:54 AM PDT
I've lost phones twice, and both times TracFone gave me credit for my remaining minutes. They even took my word for how many minutes I had left.

I love TracFone. I've been using it for four years now, and it's great. It's ten cents a minute with the double-minute option and 400 minute cards.

I use my cell phone for quick calls to my wife from the grocery store and so that I can be contacted wherever I am, driving to work, etc. I use a land line for long calls.

I don't know why anybody would sign a contract with the crooked cell phone companies. They're just praying you accidentally roam or go over your minutes so they can gouge you.

If TracFone can give you ten cents a minute with no contract, the cell phone companies should never charge you more than ten cents a minute if you go over your time, but they do.

With a prepaid phone, there is no way you can be victimized by those crooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 2:30:46 PM PDT
anonymous says:
I doubt your problem was not about whether you could prove how many minutes were left, but rather that they couldn't believe anyone would actually steal a Tracfone and therefore thought you were lying. :-)

Sorry for your bad experience. You're simply now one of those of us who have been screwed over by this unbelievably bad company. Welcome to the club!

Posted on May 2, 2012 10:39:03 AM PDT
This review, from 2003, is seriously out of date. I have lost two Tracfones, and each time, when I contacted Tracfone they de-activated the lost phones, and transferred all my unused minutes to a new one. I'm absent-minded, and $15-20 is a loss I can absorb if I lose a phone. Besides, technology keeps improving, so I have ended up with a new phone that is better and cheaper than the one it replaced.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›