1.0 out of 5 stars I was approached to work on this book, April 20, 2012
This review is from: Manhwa Mania: How to Draw Korean Comics (Manga Mania) (Paperback)
So many reviews state that this book seems just like a how to draw Manga book. Well, perhaps I can shed some light on why.

So one day, back in like 2003, I get an e-mail from Mr. Hart.
"Hello, I am making a new book about how to draw manhwa (Korean comics) and when I Googled `Korean' and `comics' I found your site. Would you be interested in providing some illustrations for the book?
Christopher Hart"

I reply a couple of hours later:
"Hello Mr Hart,
Yes, I am a comic artist who has spent time living in Korea.
I would be happy to discuss the details of the project more."
(I sign with my name and portfolio address)

He replies the next day:
"Who is this?
How did you get the address, and how did you know about my next book? If you want to work with me, you have to submit a portfolio. do you have any work online?
Christopher Hart"

Note that this was pre-Gmail days, so the complete text of his e-mail to me was included in my response. I respond:
"Hello Mr. Hart,
I think there may have been some misunderstanding, you contacted me about your book, and I was simply responding to your message. My portfolio is at (I include the link again). You mentioned you had already seen my site, and that is why you contacted me."

His response:
"What is this? I don't understand what I am looking at. I thought you were applying for a position drawing manhwa? This doesn't look anything like manhwa!!!"

Me:
"Hello again Mr. Hart,
As I said, I am not a Korean manhwa artist. I am an artist who has spend time in Korea. And I am not applying for anything, I am answering your e-mail. But since you are looking for something in a manhwa style, here are some quick samples.
(I attached some drawings of popular Korean characters, like Dooly the Dinosaur)

Chris responds:
"What is this? This doesn't look anything like Korean comics. I was looking for something like this."
(He attaches a page from a Japanese comic book, complete with japanese text)

Me:
"What you attached is manga. While there is are a lot of Korean comics drawn in a manga style, there are many other original styles that are exclusive to Korea."

Chris:
"Please stop e-mailing me."

And that was the end of my interaction with Mr. Christopher Hart.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2013 8:50:05 PM PDT
Drosa says:
I have never been more astonished

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 8:03:47 PM PDT
Wow, I never thought I'd come across someone as scared and confused about the world as Andrew Dobson, but Chris Hart has proven me wrong. I hate to sound disrespectful, but... does Chris have mental issues? Seriously, after turning to you for help, he should have been grateful that you were interested in the first place. And then when you shed actual logic on him, he tells you to stop emailing him. Okay, that's something he and Dobson completely have in common.

Posted on Jun 18, 2014 10:26:56 PM PDT
Esther Lowe says:
I actually burst out laughing. Chris Hart is kind of a jerk, but it's hard to get upset at someone who sounds so terrified of things they don't understand.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.2 out of 5 stars (10 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.19