1,518 of 1,711 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Probably destined to be a Science Fiction Classic, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (Silo Saga) (Kindle Edition)
I am a long time science fiction reader and have read many wonderful stories that are based on science, technology, engineering and math. A few years ago I purchased a Kindle and it has opened up opportunities for me to read more with less effort and at less expense. I now have over two hundred science fiction books listed in my archives. Four days ago, I purchased the Wool Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey. I finished it about an hour ago. This is the first review that I have ever been inspired to write about any book.

Some reviewers say that they cannot put a book down, once they get started into it. I have not understood this compulsion until last night, for the first time I had a hard time sleeping. I stopped reading sometime after midnight at a point in the book that left me anxious about the main character and was unwilling to disturb my wife by turning the light on or getting out of bed to pick up where I had left off. It takes a powerful piece of work to make me worry over what I know is fiction.

One small note to other authors that might be reading this review, part of what makes Wool a joy to read is the lack of grammatical and spelling errors of so many of the self published books. It is an extreme annoyance and distraction to me to read sentences in a book that I must stop, and reread substituting words that I think the author meant to understand the idea being communicated. Please take the time, your time or the time of others, to critically review your writing and fix these sentences that act as stumbling blocks for the reader on the journey you want to share with them. I and suspect many other readers would be willing to pay more for a book without grammatical and spelling errors.

I suspect this collection of a continuing story is going to become a classic. For many years now I have read and reread Foundation by Isaac Asimov and Dune by Frank Herbert along with other classics. This omnibus has the same deep commitment to the development of the characters and their feelings as they are caught up in a series of events that shape their future in an uplifting way from darker times. It is not complicated by a large cast of characters, like some series feel is necessary, but the few characters it does have are intertwined with one another and others in their society in a common journey through their lives.

I would highly recommend this to others, because I am sure that I will be rereading this story again and again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2012 4:01:11 PM PST
Ronald, I totally agree with you about the grammatical and spelling errors being a distraction and beyond being an annoyance. I know that in this day and age a spell checker is taking the place of an editor. Don't these authors know that there are grammar checkers too??!! And the most unfortunate thing is that many of these poorly written books have an interesting plot/premise.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 4:48:41 AM PST
Ronald, I agree that it takes more time to read a book when confronted with grammatical errors. I, too, have enjoyed the increased number of well written, self-published novels created by the growing e-book market. Also, thanks for a review that didn't retell the story but, instead, focused on your impressions of the work.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 8:24:02 PM PST
And a third person chiming in about the grammatical/spelling quality. I read a fair amount of independent fiction, and it is always such a shame to see a good story diminished by a lack of proper editing. With Hugh Howey's books the writing is not only lyrical, but also clean. Great series.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 9:20:57 AM PDT
Even though English isn't my primary language, I too have been irritated about Kindle books with lots of spelling errors. I tried to complain about it to Amazon directly , but their employees are apparently only capable of handling complaints about specific books, not general problems. I ended up getting a $3 refund for the book I just read. Sigh. But thanks for the review, I will go ahead and buy the Wool book ASAP.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 2:48:49 PM PDT
Always fun to discover fellow fans. The two books you mentioned happens to be two of my all time favourites as well. I've read Dune at least 7 times since the seventies. The first few times my English wasn't as good as for the last two. On the last reading I tried to find out what makes the writing so compelling. It is not only about what is happening in the book, but the really amazing workmanship in the crafting of the sentences, the wordchoice etc. The first book about Harry Potter had some of it, some of Heinlein's books have it. Every instance of what is happening is interesting. You don't skip quickly through to get the meaning of it all, as with a lot of books I've read recently. I bought a new copy of Dune.. I'm going to save that for when I get old and grey and have forgotten much of it, then I'll read it again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 8:24:43 PM PDT
John Takacs says:
Ulla,

I was only going to reply to Ronald regarding his grammar comment, but I read your comment, and I wanted to thank you for the information provided. You have helped a fellow reader, and aspiring writer.

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:30:08 PM PDT
John Takacs says:
Ronald,

Thank you for a well written review. I think your "one small note to other authors" is very important. Do you have any suggestions for books to add to my library regarding this stumbling block? Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:03:45 PM PDT
K. Omar says:
John, here is a good resource:

>>Today's reading list addresses these parallel aspirations. And since the number of books written about reading and writing likely far exceeds the reading capacity of a single human lifetime, this omnibus couldn't be - shouldn't be - an exhaustive list. It is, instead, a collection of timeless texts bound to radically improve your relationship with the written word, from whichever side of the equation you approach it.

Posted on May 28, 2012 9:35:57 AM PDT
Me says:
Excellent review. I must agree with you regarding this book becoming a classic. Based on all the five star reviews (well deserved in my opinion) it looks like it is well on its way. Definitely in my top ten PA books.

Posted on May 29, 2012 10:50:33 AM PDT
Scott says:
Can't agree enough about the grammar and spelling with self-published books. Thanks for the great review and letting me know I won't have to worry about that problem with Wool.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (8,643 customer reviews)
 (6,701)